IntraClub Practice Match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

There will be positions that are being contested which means that some players might have to wear the green jumper to oppose the player they are competing with. It's no big deal.

PJ
SS Life Member

that's interesting to me that Steven was a probable, Armo only a possible. Sounds like Steven's already gone past Armo...
I wouldn't read that much into it. One of the question marks or areas needing improvement may have been accountability and defensive work.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Armoguard

IMO Armo was best on ground and agree he's bulked up impressively. Bigger than CJ easily around the arms, and CJ is big.

To contradict some posts here I thought Milne was up and about, got the ball alot, good vision and kicked a couple of goals from memory.

Jack Steven looked a little flat footed on the run or is that just his style? He's definitely a footballer.

Peake was excellent. And Nick Heyne is a much bigger unit than what I was expecting. Roo looked elite.

Early days but bring on Friday Night!!

PJ
SS Life Member

A question for those at the game - with all the "no risk" players that Lyon has listed whose likely to get a gig next Friday?

More than likely - Armo, Steven, Geary, McEvoy, Peake

What about guys like Johnson, Miles & Cahill? Are they any chance for a defensive role? Could Stanley squeeze in or is that still too far away?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:A question for those at the game - with all the "no risk" players that Lyon has listed whose likely to get a gig next Friday?

More than likely - Armo, Steven, Geary, McEvoy, Peake

What about guys like Johnson, Miles & Cahill? Are they any chance for a defensive role? Could Stanley squeeze in or is that still too far away?
It would depend on how many who missed can play next week. You would think all your more than likely will play plus maybe Miles. Johnson a chance. Cahill and Stanley will probably struggle.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Personally I think the reasoning behind playing Armitage in the opposing team was to gauge how he goes against top notch opposition. And from all reports, he did pretty well.

More a positive than a negative I'd say.

I agree.....Although i didnt watch the game.....Playing Armitage in the 'possibles' puts him in a weaker team.....against better opposition.

Dont think giving him a free ride in a stronger midfield unit, against a sub par afl standard midfield would do much good......

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:Did big Blake McGrath get a run? Should be easy to pick him out at a couple of inches taller than Kingy.
Well you can see him in the last pic in a green guernsey towering over Milne. TBH I can't remember noticing him on the field, but then again I was busy taking snaps amid other distractions. I was looking out for the kids, and noticed the likes of Steven, Gaertner, Johnson, Cahill.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
zebraman
Club Player

a few more pics from the match

Image (∏)

Image (∏)

Image (∏)

Will Johnson
Image (∏)

Image (∏)

Image (∏)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Geary is looking really filled out.....if that makes sense!

I'm really looking forward to the contribution this year of Armitage, Geary and Steven.

Even McQualter if he gets a run in the midfield from time to time.....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:was jonno nash the kid with the scraggy blondish hair? if so he showed some real flashes of good creative footy when wearing 33 and looks like he could be a player

and 43 ... who i thought was Hutchings but now i find out was Geary Jnr showed the second and third efforts i like to see

both should at least be rookies ... shame ... they were the best of the rest.

my thoughts on fringe players:

- Peake is a walk up to this team at the moment
- Steven - has stepped up and is starting 22
- Armitage - has stepped up and is starting 22
- McEvoy beat King and on that game is #2 ruck
- Geary is more ready for AFL this year - should be in best 22
- Raph Clarke was out of touch and then injured (sigh)
- Stanley is being groomed to be a centre half forward as well as ruck
- Heyne looks more solid and more disciplined
- Pattison is no more than a back up if 2 rucks are injured at same time
- Tommy Walsh is a work in progress (long way to go)
- Will Johnson is a real propect
- Alistair Smith runs well and to right spots but lacks an AFL ready body
- Paul Cahill ... had a severe lack of supply but showed he can present
- Daniel Archer ... had obviously upset Ross the Boss and got Nick R
- Luke Miles is a prospect as a rebounding half back but can get lost
- Leigh Fisher could be a handy rookie if we have a deep injury list
You've named 5 as in best 22.

So, who misses out?
Obviously Ball gone and from your post King and Raph miss out. Who are the other two you'd leave out of the best 22?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Yeah, but, Trav, his recent finals' performances will count now - that's why I say he'll play games where he can help get us to finals (i.e. at Etihad), but be eased out by finals time.
If someone else steps up (I'm hoping a Heyne or Steven, maybe a leading forward in Lynch or Gwilt...who knows what else might pop up this year???), I tend to agree. The GF proved his fragility under fire beyond doubt IMO. The only worrying thing is, the same could be said for Schnieder (and maybe a few others)
heyne's the one the senior players are backing to really step up.......hope they are right....but why wouldn;t they.....they see the kids train.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Yeah, but, Trav, his recent finals' performances will count now - that's why I say he'll play games where he can help get us to finals (i.e. at Etihad), but be eased out by finals time.
If someone else steps up (I'm hoping a Heyne or Steven, maybe a leading forward in Lynch or Gwilt...who knows what else might pop up this year???), I tend to agree. The GF proved his fragility under fire beyond doubt IMO. The only worrying thing is, the same could be said for Schnieder (and maybe a few others)
heyne's the one the senior players are backing to really step up.......hope they are right....but why wouldn;t they.....they see the kids train.....
I've got a feeling about Heyne. He has a fair way to go but he's got a bit of Steve Johnson size about him. Seems to know how to kick a goal also. Would be good to see him get a run at some stage of the season.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
I've got a feeling about Heyne. He has a fair way to go but he's got a bit of Steve Johnson size about him. Seems to know how to kick a goal also. Would be good to see him get a run at some stage of the season.
Every now and again I get a really good feeling about a player when they're drafted, the ones from recent years have been Jack Steven, Nick Heyne and Jarryn Geary. Alongside Ben McEvoy and David Armitage they will force their way into the team over the next couple of years in a minor 'rebuild' which will put us in good stead for a continued premiership window...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Every now and again I get a really good feeling about a player when they're drafted, the ones from recent years have been Jack Steven, Nick Heyne and Jarryn Geary. Alongside Ben McEvoy and David Armitage they will force their way into the team over the next couple of years in a minor 'rebuild' which will put us in good stead for a continued premiership window...

Yes I used to get a "feeling in my water" but now we're on stage 4 restrictions I've had to cut those out :lol:

goodie
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:Did big Blake McGrath get a run? Should be easy to pick him out at a couple of inches taller than Kingy.
Well you can see him in the last pic in a green guernsey towering over Milne. TBH I can't remember noticing him on the field, but then again I was busy taking snaps amid other distractions. I was looking out for the kids, and noticed the likes of Steven, Gaertner, Johnson, Cahill.
McGrath played forward, like last year. Didn't see much of it, not surprising given the calibre of players in the yellow backline.
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Interesting, I spoke to Heyne at the season launch (was there under BigFooty's sponsorship of him), maybe he was just shy but he doesn't think he'll get a game this year.

PJ
SS Life Member

It would depend on how many who missed can play next week. You would think all your more than likely will play plus maybe Miles. Johnson a chance. Cahill and Stanley will probably struggle.
Thanks for that - I think I read somewhere that Dal & Kosi are the only ones likely. I guess if Kosi doesn't scrub up we're looking for another forward option and that could go a number of ways.

It could be a chance to change the forward structure by introducing a couple of medium sizers in Fisher & Goddard (Peake & Miles perhaps to the HB line) or perhaps big Ben could get some forward time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I havent since tommy lynch's name mentioned much? Did he play?
Will he get a run in the NAB cup?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I havent since tommy lynch's name mentioned much? Did he play?
Will he get a run in the NAB cup?
He didn't play. Don't know why.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
thequarry
Club Player

Round-up of intra-club match (and AGM report also) here: http://rwb2010.wordpress.com/
For anyone interested.