Luke names Essendon or COllingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I see Ch 10 News made a big deal out of Essendon's reaction to Luke's behaviour towards Essendon & the Draft. Not a word on the issue from Ch 9 News. Who does the Collingwood President work for? !!

Note: I didn't see the Ch 7 news !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I see Ch 10 News made a big deal out of Essendon's reaction to Luke's behaviour towards Essendon & the Draft. Not a word on the issue from Ch 9 News. Who does the Collingwood President work for? !!

Note: I didn't see the Ch 7 news !!
Nothing on seven either but Mitchell follows Collingwood. Also Jennifer Keyte is a bomber and Sandy Roberts has a soft spot for the Saints. Browny follows geelong and Cameraman two is a WCE supporter.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Why Collingwood?
Why did Ball choose them and only them?
Given Mick's comments about free agency, I think facilities may have come into play. Mick was talking about how the Lexus Centre would give Collingwood an unfair advantage in free agency. I don't think that came from nowhere. Collingwood has cap space, good facilities, a reasonable team, and a coach that would probably let Luke just be an onballer. It probably felt like a good fit. Other clubs are younger (Melbourne), have a running gameplan (Essendon) or are interstate. None of those are exactly ideal.

As for the medical - it's kind of redundant isn't it? We were willing to offer him a three-year deal. Collingwood probably assessed him at some point. Do clubs really think they're going to find something our docs and Collingwood's didn't? Everyone knows he can play. Everyone knows what his medical issues are.

As for draft tampering, at least one team has been investigated for it and I don't think anyone's ever been done. I believe one parent went as far as ringing Dean Laidley and telling him not to draft his son. I think the same player refused to talk to teams.

I think Ball and co have been very careful in the way they've conducted themselves and I don't think anybody will get done for draft tampering. Ball can't do a medical - he's in Hong Kong. He can't meet with teams - he's in Hong Kong. If any investigation happens, there are perfectly reasonable explanations as to what's going on, even if it's just a cover for what's really going on.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

What did he name Essendon and collingwood? :?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:What did he name Essendon and collingwood? :?
COllingwood.

:D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So he's in HK, and Collingwood are happy to pick him up without a medical?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5799919812
THE AFL has warned players against tampering with Thursday's national draft as the race for Luke Ball reaches fever pitch.
Clubs have been reminded that any player who refuses to honour a contract must stand out of football for 23 months before being allowed re-entry.
23 months is along time if found to be correct-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5799919812
THE AFL has warned players against tampering with Thursday's national draft as the race for Luke Ball reaches fever pitch.
Clubs have been reminded that any player who refuses to honour a contract must stand out of football for 23 months before being allowed re-entry.
Good work bratty!

ace
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So he's in HK, and Collingwood are happy to pick him up without a medical?
Already completed in private before the trade period.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Good work bratty!
Sadly Jon Ralph is an untrustworthy stooge of Paul Connors.
He writes
"Ball's camp is aware of the rules of the draft and intends to follow them." ............ "But Ball is still optimistic of getting to Collingwood, the only club that made a play for him during trade week."

The Connors camp is now trying to rewrite history but we remember it was Ball who excluded all other clubs.
We are not fooled by Jon Ralph's deceiptful journalism.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

That 23 months is the time the player must stand out of football before re-entering a future draft ONLY if he fails to sign a contact with the club that drafts him.

If he signs a contract he can do a Buckley and manipulate his departure after only 1 year.

ace
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Sadly the article seems to indicate that the AFL is aware that Ball and others are attempting to tamper with the draft by dissuading non preferred clubs from drafting them.

The AFL appears to be unprepared to take any action what so ever.
The AFL simply dares non preferred clubs to take a stupid risk without having contact with the player.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I hope Luke gets to go where he wants, he has always been one of my favourite players!!

Unlike some on here I'm not willing to bag a guy who was told by RL himself that his playing days were limited going forward.

So was he selfish in wanting to sure up his career elsewhere and nominate for the draft I don't think so!!!

As for nominating his preferred choice why wouldn't he, everyone wants to play finals footy!!!!

GOOD LUCK LUKE BALL :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Good work bratty!
He writes
"Ball's camp is aware of the rules of the draft and intends to follow them." ............ "But Ball is still optimistic of getting to Collingwood, the only club that made a play for him during trade week."

The Connors camp is now trying to rewrite history but we remember it was Ball who excluded all other clubs.
Yep thats right. Just a question do you look over your shoulder every time you take a step. I couldnt stand thinking everyone is in bed with everyone else everytime something you disagree with is written.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: who was told by RL himself that his playing days were limited going forward.
How do you know that?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:What did he name Essendon and collingwood? :?
COllingwood.

:D
LOL

saintbob
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
saintbob wrote: who was told by RL himself that his playing days were limited going forward.
How do you know that?
RL did several press conferences and said so, around the time when they first put Luke up as trade bait and after that as well.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
How do you know that?
RL did a press conference and said so, when they first put Luke up as trade bait.
When did we put Ball up as 'trade bait'?
AFAIK Ball came to the Club and requested a trade to Collingwood on the Monday of trade week.
Not even Connors/Ball's camp/family have ever hinted that the Saints wanted to trade Ball.

All through this saga it was publicly stated that Ball was a required player and I certainly don't recall Lyon making any statements, public or private, that Ball's 'playing days were limited'.

Why on earth would we have offered a million dollar contract to someone they felt wouldn't get a game?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
How do you know that?
RL did several press conferences and said so, around the time when they first put Luke up as trade bait and after that as well.
WHEN did they put him up for trade bait-
offered a contract in July
played him in the Grandfinal
Put a value on his head- during trade week
agreed to try and work toward it with Collingwood and other teams if possible
took the time to re- offer him options between trade and nomination time.

the story Of Australian rules these days is NOT to play 100% game time, Collingwood in fact have had the highest number of interchanges per game averaged over the year so why would he be assured of More game time......

I don't discredit what you said but would just like to know when we offered him up....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
How do you know that?
All I ever heard was terms like "required player" ?

yipper
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
How do you know that?
RL did a press conference and said so, when they first put Luke up as trade bait.
AFAIK Ball came to the Club and requested a trade to Collingwood on the Monday of trade week.
Not even Connors/Ball's camp/family have ever hinted that the Saints wanted to trade Ball.

All through this saga it was publicly stated that Ball was a required player and I certainly don't recall Lyon making any statements, public or private, that Ball's 'playing days were limited'.

Why on earth would we have offered a million dollar contract to someone they felt wouldn't get a game?
It is amazing - really just amazing. Some people must actually live under a rock and come out every now and then!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
How do you know that?

It is amazing - really just amazing. Some people must actually live under a rock and come out every now and then!!!
Not amazed Yipper.
Very little I read on here amazes me any more.
Agendas get pushed all the time.
Too many posters fail to respond to legitimate questions that are posed to them on subjects they have posted.
Just plain disrespectful, IMHO.

66 Saints
Club Player

ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Good work bratty!
He writes

Ke? why is it deceiptful journalism and why is Jon Ralph an untrustworthy stooge of Paul Connors?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

66 Saints wrote:
ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Good work bratty!
He writes

Ke? why is it deceiptful journalism and why is Jon Ralph an untrustworthy stooge of Paul Connors?
Because it misrepresents the facts.
Ball told St Kilda he wanted to be traded to Collingwood.
AFAIK the Saints never put Ball on the trade table.

'the only Club that made a play for him during trade week' is at best a mistaken representation of the truth and at worst an outright attempt to falsely portray what actually transpired.
Given Ralph's continued attempts in the last couple of weeks to portray Ball in a 'favourable light' in a succession of articles, is it too far a stretch to assume that he's got Connors as a source for much of his knowledge on this subject?

Much like Greg Denham in The Australian who was writing 'Ball to Collingwood stories' for weeks prior to trade week. Do you really believe that was just a lucky guess on his part?
ANd if not, who would you think was 'feeding' him the stories?
St Kilda?

In an interesting sideline to this, just as Denham started to publicly question Ball/Connors tactics Ralph started writing favourable stories. Maybe the jockey changed horses mid race?

66 Saints
Club Player

THanks for the response Mr M.

Ralph doesn't mention in this article that the Saints put Ball on the trade table, apologies if this was in an earlier article.

technically Collingwood are the only club that made a play for him in trade week. I don't recall reading of any offers coming in from these other clubs who are now interested.

It would have been nice if Luke and his management opened the field then and we may have done a straight swap for Lovett and kept pick 16. However they didn't and the club tried get him to Collingwood (but only in an equitable deal).

I'd be optimistic of getting to Collingwood if I were Luke Ball as well, yes there are 3-4 other clubs looking at him but none have said they will draft him, until they do you'd be optimistic.

Of course journalists get 'fed' information and don't get by making 'lucky' guesses, thats what being a journalist is. You make phone calls, meet some people, some don't comment, others do and you write about it.

I haven't read all of Jon's articles over the past few weeks so can't comment on the favourable light you mention, however as above, St Kilda have said no more comments, obviously Connors is still commenting and Ralph is employed to write about AFL.

I don't agree that Ralph is deceiptful or an untrustworthy stooge.