LYON is the dumbest and least inspiring coach in AFL….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
I think this comment by Ross Lyon hopefully squares the ledger in terms of what he was quoted in The Age with this quote in an article from The Hun

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

"What I will remember is, I felt the emotion when they roared, when he ran out and I saw his kids. You feel good for Robert.

Sounds like a man who's got passion for mine.......
Fair call Time to Shine. Reading the article, Lyon was clearly trying to prevent the emotion of Harve's retirement from distracting the players. I can understand where he was coming from on this occasion and can see the wisdom of it.
Doesn't erase my doubts about him though. Still have doubts about his ability as a leader to inspire.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
meher baba wrote: His decision to drop Milne and Dal for a game and, more generally, start selecting the team on form rather than a combination of reputation and his own preconceived (Swans-derived) notions about how an AFL team should look (2 lumbering ruckmen, one main forward target, 3-4 midfield taggers, etc).

Since the first Freo game, I have chosen to stop criticising Lyon's coaching performances.

Does this mean that the decision to replace GT with him in 2006 was the right one? Certainly not!! That decision will remain a stupid and high risk decision no matter how we do over the next month or how many final series Lyon takes us to in the future.

Anyway, let the Lyon supporters on this forum crow all they like. I'm just glad we are winning (7 out of 9!!) and have made the finals. And at least we probably won't have to hear quite so much crap in future about how GT ruined the list because we didn't manage to snare four Brownlow winners with 2x pick 17 and the forced trades of Spider and Heath Black!!
And yet you continue to bore us with the same old drivel.

Still living in the past and hankering for the "good ole days".

Do you know that was Lyon's strategy for a fact, do you? Have you ever considered that the players have taken a while to adapt???

Have you ever been able to look past what happened in 2006?

HAve you ever considered that given we've had some great quaters, that maybe the players were not executing on a regular basis? Were these quaters of footy just an abberation, or the players ignoring RL's instructions to play boring Swans footy?

I gues you never have... nor ever will, because your views are trapped in the rear view mirror of Saints history.

Even yesterday, the Crows jumped us, and we were able to stem the tide.

Dude, you have some serious blinkers on. Which is really sad, coz it stops you from enjoying the moment. GT is gone, get over it.

Bottom line: you want Lyon sacked. Until you can seriously get on here with a truly "objective" view, please refrain. It is becoming extremely boring.

Even if we win the flag... you'll likely come here and claim that it would have happenned anyway under GT, or that GT would have won 2 flags by now.

And if we don't, you'll just keep harping on about the glory days of 2 prelims under GT, and how he should never have been saked.

Sad, very sad.
My agenda has all along been simply to suggest what I think might be best for the club: which I'm entitled to do on this forum, even if you and others don't agree with me. Lyon's coaching was so incredibly inept in the first 18 or so months that I did believe for a while that it would be better to get rid of him immediately and try to limit the damage.

About 2 months ago IMO, he reached the point at which the pros of retaining him outweighed the cons. At this point, I stopped calling for him to go (unlike many others on here, especially after the Pies match). I still don't think he is likely to become the best coach we have ever seen, nor do I believe (although I would be delighted to be proven wrong) that he will be able take us to a premiership as quickly as did his mentor Paul Roos.

I note that you appear to be a member of the "GT is to blame for everything that has gone wrong at St Kilda over the past decade" society. That's your agenda (although, unlike some of your more passionate fellow members of that society, I sense a certain desire to take the piss as well).

Every time you respond to one of my posts, you go for the man rather than the ball. Which, to my way of looking at it, suggests that, deep down inside, you don't feel very confident in what you are saying. A bit more banter and a bit less bluster certainly wouldn't go astray.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Do you know that was Lyon's strategy for a fact, do you? Have you ever considered that the players have taken a while to adapt???

HAve you ever considered that given we've had some great quaters, that maybe the players were not executing on a regular basis? Were these quaters of footy just an abberation, or the players ignoring RL's instructions to play boring Swans footy?

I gues you never have... nor ever will, because your views are trapped in the rear view mirror of Saints history.

Dude, you have some serious blinkers on. Which is really sad, coz it stops you from enjoying the moment. GT is gone, get over it.

Bottom line: you want Lyon sacked. Until you can seriously get on here with a truly "objective" view, please refrain. It is becoming extremely boring.

Even if we win the flag... you'll likely come here and claim that it would have happenned anyway under GT, or that GT would have won 2 flags by now.

And if we don't, you'll just keep harping on about the glory days of 2 prelims under GT, and how he should never have been saked.

Sad, very sad.
Agree 100%, still mebabble is good for a laugh, all the same :wink:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

One swallow does not a summer make. Let's not jump the gun. Remember not long ago we thought we'd turned the corner only to lose to the eagles, then served up an insipid effort against the pies.

I was and still remain critical of Lyon's efforts, but if he can get us to become a genuine force in this competition then all hail him. I think he is showing signs of growing into the job and I hope he goes on with it and becomes the most successful coach in history (what saint fan wouldn't).

With GT i was always critical of his match day ability and his dismissal of the importance of a good ruck. But GT made us a force - it doesn't happen automatically - it needs good management regardless of cattle and i became a fan.

The only posters i would question are those would called on us to tank (nice to have such little respect for your team and for harvs), or believed we didn't have the cattle (almost every team has the cattle if you can get them to play with 100% mental and physical effort and play to a cohesive plan).

Good luck sainters we're in the finals and anything can happen

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:So if Ross Lyon had no experience in your eyes when he was thrown into the "deep end" at AFL level (funny thought he was assistant at Carlton, Richmond and Sydney - plenty of experience on his CV), what experience did your fallen idol have in the AFL with experience before he got handed the job to him?

The only experience I heard he had was getting thrown out of coaches boxes by Schimmelbusch and Blighty.

By the way, I am intrigued - you claim he had no confidence - how the hell would you know?

Bad news for you and your zealots - GT is gone, RL now has a terrific opportunity to show us what he can do with a team under the heat of finals pressure.
If what you are saying is that GT had no more (and arguably less) reason than Lyon to feel confident when he took on the job, I 100% agree with you.

When GT's appointment I, like the rest of the AFL world, momentarily thought that it was some sort of perverse joke. I thought "oh dear, Tim Watson started the job, and Thomas and Butterss will finish us off: interstate transfer here we come over the next decade" (and, tell me, how many posters on here didn't have that thought at the time).

But, from day one, GT showed the sort of confidence and swagger that you would expect from someone who thought they were born to coach a leading AFL team.

Lyon hasn't showed anything that. Instead, his first public comment was "I didn't seek this position". He's stammered and bumbled his way through interviews, he has made all sorts of odd and rather indecisive match day decisions, and he has confessed that he can't seem to get the players to do what he wants them to do.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. I don't know the man and I'm not an insider at the club. Maybe Lyon has been filled with confidence from day one. But he sure hasn't looked like it from the outside.

As for the fact that we are playing finals: I've had a smile from ear to ear since about 3 pm yesterday. I hope Lyon takes us - and, in particular, Harves - all the way to a premiership.

If he does, then I would expect to see you and a dozen others on here on the day after the GF posting "yah boo sucks, you were wrong, you're a flogger, etc.". But I won't give a stuff, because all I'll be aware of is the beating of my heart and the music playing in my ears.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't just be better for the usual suspects to admit they were wrong?

I mean really, wanting a coach sacked just after they had made the finals, who ever heard of such a thing.

Only a rabble of a club would do that, surely.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:Wouldn't just be better for the usual suspects to admit they were wrong?
I'd like to think Ross is about to prove all of us wrong - even his most ardent supporters.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Wouldn't just be better for the usual suspects to admit they were wrong?
I'd like to think Ross is about to prove all of us wrong - even his most ardent supporters.
:wink:

I would like the team to prove me wrong as i have been saying that we dont have the cattle all year.

Come on Saints, I want a chorus of " Joffaboy - you were wrong" on GF day. :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sack RL.

Snakeman66
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
st.byron wrote:
markp wrote:
st.byron wrote: He's quoted in 'The Age' this morning as saying after the game,
"What we spoke about was if we want to pay respect to Robert it really is about getting our performance right and clearly any emotion for Robert doesn't contribute to your ability to defend and attack and use the ball."
How anyone could have issue with that statement is beyond me.
Well a resounding chorus of agreement with my post I see.
Agree that "getting our performance right" is the most important thing. Disagree that emotion and passion can't and shouldn't be a part of that.
It's all well and good to be dispassionate and calculating, or like Neil Craig and 'scientific'. But to take all of the passion and emotion out of the game is like sucking the blood out of it.
Easy to gloss over this stuff when we're winning, but I still don't have faith in Lyon. He's a robot.
Neil Craig gets off very lightly by the footy public.

Big game record is very ordinary.
Would take Ross Lyon ahead of Neil Craig or Mark Harvey.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I mean really, wanting a coach sacked just after they had made the finals, who ever heard of such a thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
there are some here that can actually take a joke mb.

you seem to be one of them :wink:

Lance or James??

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
meher baba wrote: His decision to drop Milne and Dal for a game and, more generally, start selecting the team on form rather than a combination of reputation and his own preconceived (Swans-derived) notions about how an AFL team should look (2 lumbering ruckmen, one main forward target, 3-4 midfield taggers, etc).

Since the first Freo game, I have chosen to stop criticising Lyon's coaching performances.

Does this mean that the decision to replace GT with him in 2006 was the right one? Certainly not!! That decision will remain a stupid and high risk decision no matter how we do over the next month or how many final series Lyon takes us to in the future.

Anyway, let the Lyon supporters on this forum crow all they like. I'm just glad we are winning (7 out of 9!!) and have made the finals. And at least we probably won't have to hear quite so much crap in future about how GT ruined the list because we didn't manage to snare four Brownlow winners with 2x pick 17 and the forced trades of Spider and Heath Black!!

Sad, very sad.
My agenda has all along been simply to suggest what I think might be best for the club: which I'm entitled to do on this forum, even if you and others don't agree with me. Lyon's coaching was so incredibly inept in the first 18 or so months that I did believe for a while that it would be better to get rid of him immediately and try to limit the damage.

About 2 months ago IMO, he reached the point at which the pros of retaining him outweighed the cons. At this point, I stopped calling for him to go (unlike many others on here, especially after the Pies match). I still don't think he is likely to become the best coach we have ever seen, nor do I believe (although I would be delighted to be proven wrong) that he will be able take us to a premiership as quickly as did his mentor Paul Roos.

I note that you appear to be a member of the "GT is to blame for everything that has gone wrong at St Kilda over the past decade" society. That's your agenda (although, unlike some of your more passionate fellow members of that society, I sense a certain desire to take the piss as well).

Every time you respond to one of my posts, you go for the man rather than the ball. Which, to my way of looking at it, suggests that, deep down inside, you don't feel very confident in what you are saying. A bit more banter and a bit less bluster certainly wouldn't go astray.

Actually I don't blame GT for all our ills TBH. I have never been one to deny his success. Was his sacking the right move? No idea TBH.
Is RL a better coach? No idea TBH.

Maybe it's my background of being an entrepreneur for 22 years, in that I've learnt to keep the faith in tough times rather than react to negative situations.

You see, in life, you have to expect things will go wrong, so you stay focussed on the outcome and prepare to meet the challenges head on.

My point? Regardless of what took place in 06, RL is now our coach and deserves 100% support and loyalty from everyone. He also deserves time to stamp his impramada on the team. Likewise, I prefer to remain patient rather than over react when we lose a game.

I happen to be more otpimistic than you TBH. Why? Because I suspect that my outlook isn't tainted by the same anger and contempt that you seem to hold because GT got sacked. That's the way it looks to me.

AS far as playing the man... you can post all you like. Problem is that whatever you post always seems to relate back to your agenda about GT being the messiah.

If you want to judge RL, do so without bias, and without comparing him to GT. If you can do this, then you won't hear a peep out of me.

Let's wait and see how 08 pans out, then 09. Then we'll decide if he a good coach or not. Frankly, I have zero knowledge of what the plan is, what the coach thinks, and what the players think of the coach. My opinions are purely speculative thoughts.

Which is why i get peeved off when people like yourself come on and state opinions as fact. Feel free to read your own post back to yourself... It's like a broken record... RL tried to turn us into Sydney... GT should never have been sacked... yada yada yada.

Yet despite what happens on the field, which is contrary to your opinions, you still stand by the same old lines.

BTW, YES I do take the piss. It is only a sport after all, and I find this forum a great place to talk shyte about footy coz my wife hates it. I take the piss coz so many take it and themselves too seriously (especially when we lose).

Peace.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Peace also to you WJ42

After you've been on SS for a while that you can only do two things wrong: go on and on like a broken record or else be inconsistent and be accused of hypocrisy

At the end of the day, whatever you do, you get flamed!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Peace also to you WJ42

After you've been on SS for a while that you can only do two things wrong: go on and on like a broken record or else be inconsistent and be accused of hypocrisy

At least being flamed warms you up on those cold winter nights! :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:So if Ross Lyon had no experience in your eyes when he was thrown into the "deep end" at AFL level (funny thought he was assistant at Carlton, Richmond and Sydney - plenty of experience on his CV), what experience did your fallen idol have in the AFL with experience before he got handed the job to him?

The only experience I heard he had was getting thrown out of coaches boxes by Schimmelbusch and Blighty.

By the way, I am intrigued - you claim he had no confidence - how the hell would you know?

Bad news for you and your zealots - GT is gone, RL now has a terrific opportunity to show us what he can do with a team under the heat of finals pressure.
If what you are saying is that GT had no more (and arguably less) reason than Lyon to feel confident when he took on the job, I 100% agree with you.

When GT's appointment I, like the rest of the AFL world, momentarily thought that it was some sort of perverse joke. I thought "oh dear, Tim Watson started the job, and Thomas and Butterss will finish us off: interstate transfer here we come over the next decade" (and, tell me, how many posters on here didn't have that thought at the time).

But, from day one, GT showed the sort of confidence and swagger that you would expect from someone who thought they were born to coach a leading AFL team.

Lyon hasn't showed anything that. Instead, his first public comment was "I didn't seek this position". He's stammered and bumbled his way through interviews, he has made all sorts of odd and rather indecisive match day decisions, and he has confessed that he can't seem to get the players to do what he wants them to do.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. I don't know the man and I'm not an insider at the club. Maybe Lyon has been filled with confidence from day one. But he sure hasn't looked like it from the outside.

As for the fact that we are playing finals: I've had a smile from ear to ear since about 3 pm yesterday. I hope Lyon takes us - and, in particular, Harves - all the way to a premiership.

If he does, then I would expect to see you and a dozen others on here on the day after the GF posting "yah boo sucks, you were wrong, you're a flogger, etc.". But I won't give a stuff, because all I'll be aware of is the beating of my heart and the music playing in my ears.
Weve won 7 from 9. IMHO we have holes in our list that our previous lack of development could not and did not address. Its no coincidence to me that Gwilt, Raph, Goddard, Jones - even kids in Eddy and co are playing some good footy....they are being coached not "mentored" by corporate babble that clearly you enjoy and like to self indulge in.

You make assessments on Lyon. Call for him to be sacked. And are now backing up from that faster than an Italian tank in WW2.....thats ok...you got it wrong. Show some balls and admit that. JD also got it wrong...his turn around has been more subtle...I suspect he FINALLY started to see that just maybe what Lyon is doing with some of the kids AND what he has done to help reverse a disgraceful injury effort by the previous coach/administration (we now have 50% less injuries in Missons first year BTW) will pay off.

The list aint perfect. We have players that IMO arent AFL but they are busting a gut and doing a job.

You talk about GT's "swagger" and appear a person who makes his mind up from what he sees in a media interview/grab. I get the sense you need a cocky coach persona to tell you everythings gonna be allright in the morning..

I prefer to watch from the stands,LISTEN to the coaches explanantion and make a call from that as to whether he has:

1. identified the problem
2. has an inkling on how to fix it.

Im not interested if Lyon isnt Kevin Sheedy (GT sure wasnt...) I want Ross Lyon to be a technically capable football coach and Im sure he is. Hes in year 2, hes getting better and we will be thankful we have finally stuck to our guns aka Hawthorn.

You keep judging the cover......I prefer to read the book.

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Its a big call to be calling people out as wrong about RL at this stage! Far from convinced myself.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Its a big call to be calling people out as wrong about RL at this stage! Far from convinced myself.
why

If Im wrong Ill say it too?

so what?

You get 1 call in life is that it?

Just seems crediting Lyon for maybe getting some things spot on is to hard for some....while other vulture like creatures just sit on the fence in the hope he falls over so they can say "yeah I called that 8 yrs ago..." :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Nah thats cool ,thats your call. Some will agree, some wont, like me. Aint life grand?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Weve won 7 from 9. IMHO we have holes in our list that our previous lack of development could not and did not address. Its no coincidence to me that Gwilt, Raph, Goddard, Jones - even kids in Eddy and co are playing some good footy....they are being coached not "mentored" by corporate babble that clearly you enjoy and like to self indulge in.

You make assessments on Lyon. Call for him to be sacked. And are now backing up from that faster than an Italian tank in WW2.....thats ok...you got it wrong. Show some balls and admit that. JD also got it wrong...his turn around has been more subtle...I suspect he FINALLY started to see that just maybe what Lyon is doing with some of the kids AND what he has done to help reverse a disgraceful injury effort by the previous coach/administration (we now have 50% less injuries in Missons first year BTW) will pay off.

The list aint perfect. We have players that IMO arent AFL but they are busting a gut and doing a job.

You talk about GT's "swagger" and appear a person who makes his mind up from what he sees in a media interview/grab. I get the sense you need a cocky coach persona to tell you everythings gonna be allright in the morning..

I prefer to watch from the stands,LISTEN to the coaches explanantion and make a call from that as to whether he has:

1. identified the problem
2. has an inkling on how to fix it.

Im not interested if Lyon isnt Kevin Sheedy (GT sure wasnt...) I want Ross Lyon to be a technically capable football coach and Im sure he is. Hes in year 2, hes getting better and we will be thankful we have finally stuck to our guns aka Hawthorn.

You keep judging the cover......I prefer to read the book.
I've got balls, sport

I'm prepared to admit that I underestimated Lyon. He's going ok now. But let's not get carried away: he's got a fair way to go. But the signs are more promising than they were. Thank god!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Weclome aboard Babbs....

This is your captain speaking.... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Peace also to you WJ42

wanna buy a used flameproof suit? :wink:

All I'm saying that it's like having new girlfriend or boy (if that;s what you prefer) and comparing them to your ex. You have no hope of appreciating or loving them in their own right until you cut the umbilical cord with the past...

Now trust Dr Wayne, coz he knows what's best for you. Please don't force me to reach for the glove and lube to clear all that GT shyte out of your system. :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:JD also got it wrong...his turn around has been more subtle...I suspect he FINALLY started to see that just maybe what Lyon is doing with some of the kids AND what he has done to help reverse a disgraceful injury effort by the previous coach/administration (we now have 50% less injuries in Missons first year BTW) will pay off.
TBH Teffers, and I doubt you'll have any idea what I'm talking about, I don't think I was wrong at all with Lyon. Well not on the aspects where I was critical of him.

FWIW, your comment on BJ, Gwilt and Raph is laughable, especially the last two. Embarrassingly so.

I've always felt we needed to reassess Ross at the end of his second year and I've haven't changed my views on that at all. However I have changed my view on what the reassessment would show and how we should handle that going forward.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm getting a bit worried about this thread. When the likes of JD and I can start to have reasonably civil exchanges with the likes of Teffers and WJ42, this place is at risk of getting a bit dull!!

Perhaps I should start a GT for PM thread (I imagine stinger at least might think this would represent an improvement!!)

markp
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I'm getting a bit worried about this thread. When the likes of JD and I can start to have reasonably civil exchanges with the likes of Teffers and WJ42, this place is at risk of getting a bit dull!!

Perhaps I should start a GT for PM thread (I imagine stinger at least might think this would represent an improvement!!)
We're in the finals and hitting some form, with relatively few injuries... if there's no love now, there will never be.