team this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hey Ross according to the majority of posters on Saintsational.com all you need to is play Armitage 100% of the time every week and your job is safe forever.

Will you people get real, the kid is struggling at the moment.

I have no doubt he will be a very good player, but he is struggling.[/b]

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Joffa,
Birss has played better than last year. Fact imo. He has been more accountable and kicked a few moreso than others this year.He's no world beater but then again neither is most of our side this year.
No hysteria there.
Rate him against Gwilt and I'd take Birss nearly every time. Especially against a side like Sydney. He's accountable. Gwilt is NOT.

Take it easy mate. We're all brothers and sisters here. All Sainters. Respectfull discussion is the answer to problems.
We're all frustrated.
I would have left Birss AND Gwilt in the side. Been behind Birss all season so far, but I'm sure Joffa's rant wasn't aimed at every single poster on this forum. SO...I'm mystified as to why Birss is out, would have left Gilbert another week. More than happy to see Gwilt improve on his effort last week.

Amro did next to nothing last week, so move him out for Harvs IF HE'S FIT. No point in having Mac anywhere near this match...if we did use him, would you like him to play his first game on Hall, Barry, Kenelley, Goodes? He'd get smashed to bits...that's not development.

So, as I said, very...strange...indeed. Expect late changes.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

fair dinkum :roll: :roll:

:roll: dinkum :roll:

fair :roll:

dinkum fair dinkum :roll: :roll: :roll:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's just typical of the lack of imagination at out club at present. Yes Armitage hasn't been getting 20 touches a week (probably because he sits on the pine for half the game) but he is getting experience of being out in the middle of an AFL game. He could have been exposed to seeing Brett Kirk close up & watching how he goes about his work. Nah, send him to Casey to get up close to 2nd grade hacks running around.

Birss is very stiff & just seems to be part of the rotation between St.Kilda and Casey that Lyon can't see past. The same blokes get dropped week in week out, the same blokes are promoted the week after and no under performing senior player ever gets dropped. We never have a young player exposed to senior level either and that is an indictment on a bloke who last week stated that we need pace and need to bring on some youth. What a fraud. If Gilbert doesn't play & they bring Fiora in...

The fact that Fiora is still under consideration tells us that the current regime will run this club into the ground. He should have had his ticket marked after the Brisbane game.

Plugger66 always argues that we shouldn't be promoting young blokes with less than spectacular form at VFL level, well why do blokes who fail time & time again at the top level still remain in the side???

Wait for next week when it will be

In Birss, Armitage, L.Fisher
Out Gwilt, Ferguson & regulation injury.

How about dropping a few big names and setting a standard of performance? Even bloody Richmond have seen the light & are reading the riot act to selfish footballers who won't bleed for the team. We're full of those types at present, plenty to choose from Ross. Nah, drop two GOP's and a kid with less than 10 games experience. Keep rewarding mediocrity Ross... you're breeding it nicely at the moment.

Every week we seem to become more of a laughing stock.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not upset to see Armo out - he needs a spell and from listening to Lyon in the past he doesnt believe in flogging the kids week in week out when they start to struggle. It actually makes sense.

Birrs I dont agree with. He suits the Swans style and can snag a goal BUT Im not convinced Harvs will play and Id reckon Birrs may come in...

Not a huge wrap for Gwilt BUT as others said we've whinged that we dont know if these guys can play so kudos to Lyon for finding out - we need to cause if Gwilts etc dont stand up this year its curtains for their career for mine.

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Harvey will play.

He always does.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Harvey will play.

He always does.
something you know Bernard?

“Yeah….nah””
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hey Ross according to the majority of posters on Saintsational.com all you need to is play Armitage 100% of the time every week and your job is safe forever.

Will you people get real, the kid is struggling at the moment.

I have no doubt he will be a very good player, but he is struggling.[/b]
its about experience, gwilt and fiona?? yep they are our future! play them instead! we are not going to make the GF so play the kids!!

Red
Club Player

So people would rather have Birss play ahead of Harvey?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armitage has only shown his potential in flashes. He's hardly earned himself an automatic selection. I'm confident he'll be a good player in the future, but he needs to be more consistent with his application. He wasn't up to the level of play against the Dogs, and there's good reason to think he wouldn't be able to match it with Sydney. I'm not at all surprised he's been dropped.

Dropping Birss, OTOH, surprises me. He's at least been able to contribute a few goals, although Gilbee did get away from him last weekend. I find the fact that Birss and Fisher out to be encouraging in that Ross doesn't have many taggers to run with. Last time we played Sydney, it was TagFest 2008. Maybe Ross is going into Sydney with an attacking mentality (I'm not getting my hopes up there though).

Good to see Ferg and Gwilt get another run. Ferg had a quiet week in a dysfunctional forward line. Hopefully he responds to Ross' show of faith. We really don't have a lot of options for his role short of bringing Charlie back. Gwilt was quiet early and impressive late and, from memory has figured in Brownlow votes against Sydney.

Can't say I have a problem with any of the ins either. It's always nice to have two rucks against Sydney, so hard to complain about King being back. Gilbert may seem a bit rushed, but he's within the normal window for his injury. He's really the best matchup we have for O'Keefe if he's up to the job. Harves was playing some excellent footy before last week's late withdrawal. All up the ins are better than the outs, so I'm a little surprised about the level of anger on this forum.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
hotdish
Club Player

Blake to tag Goodes, as this is one of the best things he does for this team.

He has dominated Goodes several times in the past...

jill
Club Player

Hope Fegusson is played as a forward, preferably fullforward!
Disappointed McEvoy not given a go. Time to blood some of the young guys!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Typically poor selections.....

NO speed or ball winning ability (outside of the main 3)

Sydney have
Kennelly, Malceski, McVeigh, Buchanon, Jack, The leftie from adel, Bevan, Goodes For speed....
Bolten, Kirk, Fosdike, Jolly for clearance and ball winning ability.

They are the MOST efficient team by FOOT in the AFL.....we are WOEFUL!

saints11
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Typically poor selections.....

Sydney have
Kennelly, Malceski, McVeigh, Buchanon, Jack, The leftie from adel, Bevan, Goodes For speed....

the leftie from adelaide is marty mattner

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saints11 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Typically poor selections.....

Sydney have

the leftie from adelaide is marty mattner
I didn't know Marty Matner is a Communist!!!

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO ,we can argue the merits of who is in who is out,but for the life of me ,even naming Fiora in the mix is baffling

spert
Saintsational Legend

Who were our mids last week for the first three quarters. From what I saw NDS did his usual one great quarter then dropped away, Lenny tried hard, but dropped away, Ball tries hard, but dropped away. If were were playing games which lasted 1.5 quarters, we would have a champion midfield.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Birss has done a fantastic job in our forward line if anything

drop Jones!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I noticed that McQualter wasn't picked in the present Casey side....Might mean he's traveling to Sydney.....Good on him!!!

As for the Armitage backlash....Come off it you wankers - we play to win THIS week, not feed game time into future stars.....

Its amazing how some people develop a cult following based on looks and draft potential.....How about earning EVERY SINGLE GAME YOU GET.

This isn't the St Kilda of 2000 and mid 80's alike - In competitive teams, people need to earn spots.

Saints43
Club Player

It's pretty clear why Birss was dropped.

We were too 'bomby' last week.

I saw Birss kick the ball about 30 metres over the forwards heads from just outside the 50. It eventually nearly hit someone in the cheers squad in the head.

Far too 'bomby'.

Gilbert=Legend

About time Birss was dropped!!!!

He is weak, and it showed on the weekend, and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that again.

How the f#$%^# hell has he been our best player???? Lenny by far, or s fisher

Duggie
Club Player

Why was Birrs dropped? Has been among the best players in the past two weeks.
Gwilt had better not get in Hall's way..
Dempster and Schneider... uggh! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Missed last weeks game[lucky heh] So far Birss has been good bad average weak our best our worst wtf is going on here .I do take notice and respect the opinion of many on here ,but S##t its getting confusing

HarveysDeciple

homework wrote:Birss has done a fantastic job in our forward line if anything

drop Jones!
jones has been in our best 6 in each of the last 3 games IMHO

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Gwilt v Hall

Last time Gwilt played on Hall he got a Brownlow vote.

Can't see that happening again though.