Positives for Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

You are kidding, right. No farking way. This is the guy that called me a hypocrite and full of shyt after my first post.

I try and look at things objectively and comment accordingly.

I disagree fundamentally with Rodg's position.

He believes we're not being coached correctly, and that RL is a poor coach.

I believe that we are yet to see the best of his coaching coz of the learning curve required for the players, and that some are not up to playing to his plan.

He believes GT should not have been sacked. I believe he should never had got the job at all.

Your insinuation that we're friends is almost goriunds for a defamation case :lol:

Now watch him jump on here and tell me what an asswipe I am for assuming to understand what he believes in.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:You are kidding, right. No farking way. This is the guy that called me a hypocrite and full of shyt after my first post.

I try and look at things objectively and comment accordingly.

I disagree fundamentally with Rodg's position.

He believes we're not being coached correctly, and that RL is a poor coach.

I believe that we are yet to see the best of his coaching coz of the learning curve required for the players, and that some are not up to playing to his plan.

He believes GT should not have been sacked. I believe he should never had got the job at all.

Your insinuation that we're friends is almost goriunds for a defamation case :lol:

Now watch him jump on here and tell me what an asswipe I am for assuming to understand what he believes in.
Your right. I apologise. No one should suffer the indignation of being lumped in with Dodg... :wink:

BTW......I share your views re the coaching.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We dont have a top 4 list,you wouldn't get anyone within the AFL industry
saying that or backing that comment up.I look at that sort of comment as being blind optimism ,which may not be a bad thing when we've been waiting 42 years for the 2nd flag.....

The amount of changes made to the list at seasons end will be some sort of guide as to what those in charge at the Saints think of the list...........

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I'm with you Bob.

I see many holes in our list that those above us don't have.

Our team was structured to suit a Brisbane philosophy. That was before the game evolved and leg speed became a factor.

And we were caught sleeping at the wheel.

I recall almost 3 years ago, Parkin lamenting that we lacked some speed and that the game was evolving. 3 Bloody years ago FFS.

04, 05, and possibly 06, we were top 4. But we've lost a few since, and few others are on their last legs.

Any change of coach who has a different philosophy will take at least 2 years before it becomes instinctive. That's why I'm not jumping the gun on Lyon, just yet.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

David Parkin? :shock:

Saint Mik
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:We dont have a top 4 list,you wouldn't get anyone within the AFL industry
saying that or backing that comment up.
You watch them all jump on the bandwagon after we beat Hawthorn this week. 8-)

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Yup, David Parkin. I'm going by his comments after the games on ABC radio, when he was doing special comments.

This was about the when the Doggies began to hit their straps under Eade.

JeffDunne

David Parkin, the same man that oversaw the decline of the Carlton list that led to a wooden spoon in 2002 despite paying near on $1m over the cap?

FWIW, the Bulldogs didn't start hitting anything until this season. Can we at least wait until they start winning finals before we start blowing wind up their clacker?

I'm yet to see a premiership team that lacks key marking forwards.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:David Parkin, the same man that oversaw the decline of the Carlton list that led to a wooden spoon in 2002 despite paying near on $1m over the cap?

FWIW, the Bulldogs didn't start hitting anything until this season. Can we at least wait until they start winning finals before we start blowing wind up their clacker?

I'm yet to see a premiership team that lacks key marking forwards.
Not sure Lynch is a key marking forward. Well his record is no better than Welch.

JeffDunne

What is he then Mary?

A roving small forward?

FFS mate, do you always need to be such a dick?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:What is he then Mary?

A roving small forward?

FFS mate, do you always need to be such a dick?
Well under that theory what is Welch. Or does that wreck your arguement.

Im a dick your obviously a d**khead.

Just some stats for you to.

Welsh 170 games 330 goals
Lynch 120 games 181 goals

Both play FF and are marking forwards.

JeffDunne

So if you can't win a tap out that makes you a rover?

Not sure Lynch is a key marking forward
You posted that and you have the nerve to call someone a D/H? :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:So if you can't win a tap out that makes you a rover?

Not sure Lynch is a key marking forward
You posted that and you have the nerve to call someone a D/H? :lol:
Didnt bother posting the second part where I said he was no better than Welsh.

What is it then. You state that you are yet to see a premiership team that lacks key marking forwards. I point out Welsh has a better record than Lynch so you resort to selective posting because I proved that either statement is wrong or the Bulldogs do have a key marking forward.

Which one is it or are you still asleep. Wake up Jeff.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
bobmurray wrote:We dont have a top 4 list,you wouldn't get anyone within the AFL industry
saying that or backing that comment up.
You watch them all jump on the bandwagon after we beat Hawthorn this week. 8-)
Mmmm!

Just to buy into the whole top 4 list argument, can somebody tell me how our list differs significantly to say the Hawks for want of a relevant topic to this weeks much anticipated game. The Hawks are now considered a top 4 list, right.

But in reality and in boxing parlance, ("pound for pound") we match them well. And I am referring to the Saints team we have seen run out onto the park over the past month, not the team that ran out onto the park say in the first month of this season.

Actually you could then argue that we have advantages but I think those arguments will best be had after tomorrows game. But just to give you a hint about where the argument might begin, the Hawks backline is suspect and right at the moment -- and this has less to do with list arguments -- their midfield has a few injury concerns.

Oh and if you want to know why I think that the argument should be had after tomorrow night it's because perception is everything. Everyone is on the Hawks bandwagon this year because they have been winning and everyone has jumped of the Saints band wagon because -- yep you guessed it -- we've been losing. So speak to me on Sunday.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Good morining JB. Nice to see you got up with the usual amount of shyt on the liver today :lol:

If I recall, the Dogs were playing THE most exciting brand in 2006, were they not?

And you P66 a dick? Mate, take a look in the mirror. The only one blowing wind is you... up your own clacker.

Oh, sorry, I forgot... YOU know more about footy than a premiership coach. :roll:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Cairnsman, a very valid point. Hawks are starting to peak and are where we were in '04 and 05.

On paper, we match up with most teams. Reality is a different matter.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Good morining JB. Nice to see you got up with the usual amount of shyt on the liver today :lol:

If I recall, the Dogs were playing THE most exciting brand in 2006, were they not?

And you P66 a dick? Mate, take a look in the mirror. The only one blowing wind is you... up your own clacker.

Oh, sorry, I forgot... YOU know more about footy than a premiership coach. :roll:
"Exciting brand" is a phrase used by media commentators and PR managers. They have an obvious adgenda. I wonder how many premiership coaches use the same phrase.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ok, let me clarify...

Exciting brand is what I used.

There were games where we fell well short, and it was commented at the time that our midfield was becoming slow. at the time, the Dogs were playing quick rebound footy with run and carry into their forward line.

It was also commented that we didn't seem to have any fast players coming through. Lenny was slow, HArvey getting older, and Ball struggled with OP. And that this seemed to be a concern given the way the game was evolving.

As far as a Top 4 list is concerned, I think we have the talent, but we also have some holes which means that some players can't play in their best position.

Blake settling in releases Gram for example. A good FF would release Roo to do more damage around the ground.

JeffDunne

plugger66 wrote: Didnt bother posting the second part where I said he was no better than Welsh.
And what relevance does Welsh or performance have to do with whether Lynch is a key forward or not? I never said he was a good one, I simply said he was one.

Lynch was probably the difference between WC in 2005 vs 2006 FWIW.

I know you probably determine how and where footballers play based on stats but I prefer to actually watch games of football.

Micheal Rix might struggle to win hit outs but that doesn't mean he's not a ruckman. He's not a very good ruckman but he's still a ruckman.
What is it then. You state that you are yet to see a premiership team that lacks key marking forwards. I point out Welsh has a better record than Lynch so you resort to selective posting because I proved that either statement is wrong or the Bulldogs do have a key marking forward.
Do I need to point out that the Bulldogs haven't won anything yet?

You've proved didly.

Welsh is like all the Bulldog's forwards, he's a versatile forward. Can play flanks as well as key positions. You don't structure a forward line around players like him and his return this year demonstrates that the Bulldogs don't.
Which one is it or are you still asleep. Wake up Jeff.
I ask again, why do you always need to be a dick?

Arguing for the sake of it?