Ross Lyon should coach Saints for 10 years - Westaway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:I haven't heard Ross saying he wants to be there for 10 years. He may want out after his contract is up.
I dont think so......

Who'd have him now...no one i'd suggest....

Departed StKilda coaches are almost never snapped up by other clubs...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Here you go Teflon - if we do keep Lyon long term (ie. beyond 2009) we need to rebuild now from scratch. I've called for it.

Well done Nostradamus..... :lol: ofcourse IF lyon stays long term we will be rebuilding. Frankly Im looking forward to finally cleaning house with a coach who at least HAS started to pinpoint some weaknesses in our list (ruck) and at least - even in the short time hes been there - DONE SOMETHING to fix it. The previous dill was to busy "exiting in" champions.... :lol:

I completely agree with Westaway, continuity is the key. We had that. We blew it. We panicked. The loser supporters applauded it - it was the easy way out. Loser Saints fans love that.

Cheer up big boy...its not like Ross is here for ever... :lol:

If we kept Thomas, we'd have had a mini-rebuild anyway post 2007, but that would mean our core would only have had to adjust to having new players in the team - not learning a new game plan at the same time.

Had we kept Thomas you silly prat we'd probably be in Court with his whole friggin family claiming long service, life insurance fees, dog washing and haircuts from the club. HAD we kept Thomas we'd absolutely have nothing but continued instability, a fractured playing list (not all players loved Grant....worth remembering...) and a game plan that showed that it couldnt stand up against the best (particularly the Lyon developed game plan Sydney employed to stop us in our tracks with a bunch of no names in 05...) HAD we kept Thomas we'd still be claiming Allan Murray as a project player and Mark McGough as "back up" while Brooks would still be seen as "the next big thing..."

But Thomas is gone. We've moved on.

No THE REST of us are trying to move on. Your stuck firmly in the past.

See you 10 years folks.

Adios.

Chow - dont forget to take your bat and ball AND "dont let the door hit your".......you know the rest.... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:HAD we kept Thomas we'd absolutely have nothing but continued instability, a fractured playing list (not all players loved Grant....worth remembering...) and a game plan that showed that it couldnt stand up against the best (particularly the Lyon developed game plan Sydney employed to stop us in our tracks with a bunch of no names in 05...) HAD we kept Thomas we'd still be claiming Allan Murray as a project player and Mark McGough as "back up" while Brooks would still be seen as "the next big thing..."[/color]
As opposed to???

JeffDunne

lol, so we're back to the "not all players loved Grant....worth remembering" :lol:

FFS, that has to be the most pathetic line trotted out in the whole coaching debate. Especially when the same people trotting it out as some justification for sacking a coach then label the players as "soft".

Honestly, who gives a rat's toss if players "love" the coach?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:lol, so we're back to the "not all players loved Grant....worth remembering" :lol:

FFS, that has to be the most pathetic line trotted out in the whole coaching debate. Especially when the same people trotting it out as some justification for sacking a coach then label the players as "soft".

Im in total agreement, as far as im concerned as long at they get the job done the players and coach dont have to BFF (best friends forever) even all the players dont have to get along off the field.

I always remember hearing players who played under Ron Barassi say the hated his guts and played dispite him.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:lol, so we're back to the "not all players loved Grant....worth remembering" :lol:

i think thats only to highlight the GT love in who proclamed GT was a father figure to all the players and they all played for the love of him .. i agree the coach doent need to be liked but he does have to be respected .
the firing of GT was the right thing GT was going nowhere the team was already in a slide and his arrogance would of seen him persisting with a team that wasnt working RL is brought in to clean out the staleness on our list (somthing that cant be done in two years only) and hes doing that last year we discarded the majority of dead weght in the players who looked likely to never play in the starting 22 , this year he should further cull that list to the point where he will have the list capable of playing his game plan the way he wants it played

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
JeffDunne

You should have stopped after the word "respected" Trav.

Behind Play
Club Player

Not saying Ross should be or shouldn't be with us for 10 years. However a number iof us are putting the boots in and comparing him with Grant or Stan.
Just some stats on these guys:
Stan:
1994: won 7 lost 14
1995 won 8 lost 14
1996 won 10 lost 12

Took him 3 years

Grant:
2001: won 1 lost 6
2002 won 5 lost 16
2003 won 11 lost 11

Took him 3 seasons
These two coaches are respected and both have been called successful.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Coaches shouldn't be liked imo, they should be revered. Their job isn't to make friends. Who cares if the players don't like him? As long as they respect him, that's the only thing that really matters.

Back on topic, 10 years?!?! I'll be amazed if Lyon's with us beyond this year.

That is proof right there that St Kilda is more comfortable being s***. We just don't handle success very well. When we get a glimpse of it, we self-destruct.
Losing culture wrote:Hello, nice to see you again. I've missed you.