Casey scores- 11/5- Club report Pg 5 + photos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
But Ferg is no David Grant either. David Grant really was one of a kind.
I am not saying he is the "new" David Grant...just that he is bit like him in terms of being a "type of player".

DG was a much better player.
Fair enough. I loved David Grant as a player. He is one of my all time favorites.

But my point was that I would prefer Ferg lining up at FF compared to Kosi. Ferg is fast on a lead with a strong grab. Kosi is not a fast lead.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
But Ferg is no David Grant either. David Grant really was one of a kind.
I am not saying he is the "new" David Grant...just that he is bit like him in terms of being a "type of player".

DG was a much better player.
Fair enough. I loved David Grant as a player. He is one of my all time favorites.

But my point was that I would prefer Ferg lining up at FF compared to Kosi. Ferg is fast on a lead with a strong grab. Kosi is not a fast lead.
Which is why I would not play Kosi at FF either.

IF ...Ferg was to make it...I could envisage a forward line like:

Schneider Kosi Charlie?or a mid
Ferg Roo Milne

If GTrain can discover some form

Schneider Kosi or Roo Charlie/or a mid
Ferg GTrain Milne

Now all players are mobile these days and so he can drift up to HFF...but in gerneral he should stick to FP.

I would see him as gaing shots on goal more from marks than gathering the ball with shots on the run.

I would not play him as FF against teams with good full backs.
etc...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I have mentioned about Fergs for about 3 years and have stated that he can play tall or small can play down back or up forward, but the responses I got in return was that ....

Yes you have indeed been a great supporter of his...as was St Mart (Big Mart?)

It is good to see him stringing some good games together.

It is also good to see him getting some games up forward..which is where I believe his early football was.
I was one who said he hasnt played forward for 5 years so he cannot in the seniors. He has this week and did great so hopefully in a higher comp, and he will obvouisly will this week, he will do a good job as he has tried so hard to come back from numerious injuries and he is a good guy but lets remember the seconds is called that for a reason.
yeah mate, he has the talent but injuries have been his downside I just hope he remains injury free and really prove himself...

Forward or Back he CAN do the job IMO and will no doubt be an asset in either half ......

Just needs to be given a chance in more than a couple of games to get used to the momentum of the AFL and to drop him after a couple of tries would be a shame and a waste of giving him a REAL GO...

There are not too many players gifted enough to play both ends of the field and I believe Fergs is gifted enough to do that....

But gee, he needs the time to prove himself while he is injury free....

RL has shown faith in him and kept him on the list and gave him some tough assignments last year and I hope RL gives him a break shortly ...

He does deserve a chance to show what he's got and has been amongst the best for the Scorps a few times this year....

Much the same last year where he was only given a couple of goes....

Give Fergs a chance to show himself as a value to the side

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: FERGUSSON may be our saviour!

saintsRrising wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote: A goal kicking HFF who has great defensive pressure, .
Has Ferg shown to exert great defensive pressure when he is forward?

ie tackling and running down players.
Hasn't he been playing in the defense for the past 5 years - you would think he would have a handle on the defensive side of his game and not be a free wheeling player.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
I went out to the huddle at quarter time and listened to Hutchison give his address,he singled out Fiora for his effort on Lappin in the first quarter .
Was this praise....or a bake?

bobmurray wrote:
and he told Fergy and Allen to present more,it turned out that Fergy got that message better than Allen..

Where was Allen playing?

More FF...or more CHF ...or?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Allen was playing CHF

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: FERGUSSON may be our saviour!

WinnersOnly wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote: A goal kicking HFF who has great defensive pressure, .
Has Ferg shown to exert great defensive pressure when he is forward?

ie tackling and running down players.
Hasn't he been playing in the defense for the past 5 years - you would think he would have a handle on the defensive side of his game and not be a free wheeling player.
It is different from up front. Good form asa defender does not mean that you will be good at exerting "forward pressure"

Hamill was one of the best in the AFL, if not the best, at exerting "forward pressure".......buta as a backmen he always looked to bea lot lesser ofa player.

GTrain was a pretty handy defender...but after moving to FF has not been that great at exerting "forward pressure".

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

How'd Geary go? Given the quantity of small forwards at Collingwood he would be a very handy inclusion, as would Leigh Fisher.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:How'd Geary go? Given the quantity of small forwards at Collingwood he would be a very handy inclusion, as would Leigh Fisher.
Geary > Leigh Fisher IMO...

Just my opinion .....

and in the past I could not believe he has got a game ahead of Fergs...

but then again that's my opinion and maybe it had something to do with Fergs being injured at the time

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

...i hope to god...as i have for a number of years..that fergie makes it..and becomes a regular.......then he...and me also...can shove it riight up all his detractors on this site...and you all know who you are........ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
SaintBot wrote:How'd Geary go? Given the quantity of small forwards at Collingwood he would be a very handy inclusion, as would Leigh Fisher.
Geary > Leigh Fisher IMO...

Just my opinion .....

and in the past I could not believe he has got a game ahead of Fergs...

but then again that's my opinion and maybe it had something to do with Fergs being injured at the time

i can't believe recycled hacks from other clubs can get a game before fergie either.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bullants coach apologises to defence
Chris Mitchell | May 12, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 95,00.html

NORTHERN Bullants playing coach David Teague said he felt sorry for his defenders after yesterday's 118-point capitulation to Casey Scorpions at Casey Fields. A dejected Teague admitted his side had left its defence high and dry in the 25.14 (164) to 6.10 (46) loss, saying the Bullants had paid a hefty price for a lack of midfield pressure.

Led by a seven-goal haul from St Kilda-listed Matthew Ferguson and a 32-possession best-afield performance by Clinton Jones, the Scorpions led by 25 points at quarter-time and by 76 at the main break.

The Bullants kicked their first goal at the 26-minute mark of the second quarter.

The Scorpions had 14 goalkickers, but it was Jones, Leigh Fisher (25 disposals) and St Kilda rookie Andrew McQualter (24 disposals) who led the midfield dominance.

Ferguson was damaging as a deep forward with 14 kicks and seven handballs, Jason Blake was dominant around the ground with 26 possessions and Aaron Fiora had 22 touches in a variety of roles.

Adam Iacobucci, with 27 disposals, tried hard for the Bullants, while youngster Joe Anderson also impressed.

The win lifted Casey to third on the ladder, while the Bullants drop to 10th.

"It was obviously very disappointing. Casey got off to a good start," Teague said.

"They had a few bigger bodies in there. Leigh Fisher, Blake and Jones were probably a bit stronger than us and they just busted through us, broke our tackles and got the ball forward.

"To be honest, I felt sorry for some of our defenders. The ball was coming in fast. Some blokes left their mates under the pump more than they should have."

Teague said he was finding it tough to combine his on-field coaching role with trying to get a kick himself, but he said the help from assistant coach Matthew Lappin (24 disposals) was invaluable.

"When things are working, it's not so bad," he said.

"The biggest challenge is being able to communicate with the box. The runners come out to me a fair bit. I've just got to make sure I'm getting a kick myself.

"Matty's been good all year. He's got such a great football brain and then on the field he uses the ball well and rallies the troops."

St Kilda-listed ruckman Ben McEvoy, who won the Murray Bushrangers' best-and-fairest last year, again put his hand up for senior selection with an eye-catching 14-possession display that impressed coach Greg Hutchison.

"If he keeps playing like he did today, he's not going to be far away (from making his AFL debut)," Hutchison said.

Hutchison was also impressed with Ferguson, playing in his new role as a leading forward.

"He leads well, he's a good mark. He probably should have kicked another four or five because he missed some easy ones. I hope he gets the opportunity at AFL level again soon. If the door opens, he's going to be a chance," he said

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Impressive article.

Good to see McQualter up there with the best again.

....Ben McEvoy - Good to see he is impressing them down there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Allen was playing CHF
Thanks.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I have mentioned about Fergs for about 3 years and have stated that he can play tall or small can play down back or up forward, but the responses I got in return was that ....

Yes you have indeed been a great supporter of his...as was St Mart (Big Mart?)

It is good to see him stringing some good games together.

It is also good to see him getting some games up forward..which is where I believe his early football was.
I was one who said he hasnt played forward for 5 years so he cannot in the seniors. He has this week and did great so hopefully in a higher comp, and he will obvouisly will this week, he will do a good job as he has tried so hard to come back from numerious injuries and he is a good guy but lets remember the seconds is called that for a reason.
yeah mate, he has the talent but injuries have been his downside I just hope he remains injury free and really prove himself...

Forward or Back he CAN do the job IMO and will no doubt be an asset in either half ......

Just needs to be given a chance in more than a couple of games to get used to the momentum of the AFL and to drop him after a couple of tries would be a shame and a waste of giving him a REAL GO...

There are not too many players gifted enough to play both ends of the field and I believe Fergs is gifted enough to do that....

But gee, he needs the time to prove himself while he is injury free....

RL has shown faith in him and kept him on the list and gave him some tough assignments last year and I hope RL gives him a break shortly ...

He does deserve a chance to show what he's got and has been amongst the best for the Scorps a few times this year....

Much the same last year where he was only given a couple of goes....

Give Fergs a chance to show himself as a value to the side
Fully agree St Fid, couldnt have said it any better myself

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well with a few injuries it is pleasing to see that many in the reserves have pushed hard for selection....

In the Mix....

X...CJ, Geary, Fiora, L Fisher.....Ferg as a forward... and even Mini a sa possible promotion aftera string of consistently good games.

Roo. Ferg (with a number of good games now)..... and Allen (a bit quieter this week but has several good games). Even McEvoy to allow Kosi to play as a permanent forward.

Goose.. Blake would seem to be set fora recall....though the smaller defenders of Geary and LFisher are putting there hands up. If Rocca is back, Blake I think would have the edge.

King If King does not return, then with Fraser likely to miis we may see McEvoy debut...though from what I have seen of his actual ruckwork he hasa lot to learn. His marking and around the ground work have been good though.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.scorpions.com.au/match-repor ... lants.html

It was an uncompromising Scorpions outfit that took to the field against the Bullants on Sunday, and in spectacular form came out 118 point winners. This was the best win for the Scorpions since round 2 last year, and after a hiccup against Tasmania two weeks ago, this was a strong indication that the Scorpions mean business in 2008.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Reserves started slowly and found themselves 5 goals down at quarter tim, but the continued pressure and efforts by Daniel Unsworth and Beau Vernon in particular had the Scorpions back in the game and within a couple of kicks half way through the third quarter. Unfortunately they couldn't maintain the intensity and eventually went down by 29 points. James Terry kicked 4 goals and Kahn Haretuku showed some positive signs kicking 3 goals and rucking for a large chunk of the day.

Casey 1.3. 9 7.6. 48 9. 9. 63 12.14. 86
Bullants 6.4. 40 8.9. 57 12.13. 85 17.13. 115

Casey Scorpions
Goal Kickers: J. Terry 4, K. Haretuku 3, P. McGrath, J. Youle, B. Vernon, J. Galvin, I. Fridman
Best Players: D. Unsworth, B. Vernon, B. McDonald, A. Parker, K. Haretuku, J. Terry
Northern Bullants
Goal Kickers: N. Meese 3, J. Mercuri 3, S. Jacobs 3, G. Connelly 2, L. O''Donnell 2, M. Quinton, A. Totino, J. Powell, M. Shields
Best Players: D. Davies, J. Spiteri, N. Meese, A. Totino, J. Powell, S. Gannon, S. Jacobs

Question: has anyone heard from Ilzy on how he went?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
and Kahn Haretuku showed some positive signs kicking 3 goals and rucking for a large chunk of the day.
Great to hear :)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

its dissapointing that some posters all of a sudden want ferguson in instead of allen on the basis of one match

i would like to see the selectors reward allen who has put in good games consistantly and not reward ferguson just because of one good match in a position he rarely plays

we should adopt he method of the australian cricket team whereby its damn difficult to break into it however once a player gets in they are given a massive run considering the promise shown

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:its dissapointing that some posters all of a sudden want ferguson in instead of allen on the basis of one match

i would like to see the selectors reward allen who has put in good games consistantly and not reward ferguson just because of one good match in a position he rarely plays

we should adopt he method of the australian cricket team whereby its damn difficult to break into it however once a player gets in they are given a massive run considering the promise shown
The problem with that arguement is Fergerson has been better at Casey this year than Allen and I think bother were emergencies last week.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:http://www.scorpions.com.au/match-repor ... lants.html

It was an uncompromising Scorpions outfit that took to the field against the Bullants on Sunday, and in spectacular form came out 118 point winners. This was the best win for the Scorpions since round 2 last year, and after a hiccup against Tasmania two weeks ago, this was a strong indication that the Scorpions mean business in 2008.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Reserves started slowly and found themselves 5 goals down at quarter tim, but the continued pressure and efforts by Daniel Unsworth and Beau Vernon in particular had the Scorpions back in the game and within a couple of kicks half way through the third quarter. Unfortunately they couldn't maintain the intensity and eventually went down by 29 points. James Terry kicked 4 goals and Kahn Haretuku showed some positive signs kicking 3 goals and rucking for a large chunk of the day.

Casey 1.3. 9 7.6. 48 9. 9. 63 12.14. 86
Bullants 6.4. 40 8.9. 57 12.13. 85 17.13. 115

Casey Scorpions
Goal Kickers: J. Terry 4, K. Haretuku 3, P. McGrath, J. Youle, B. Vernon, J. Galvin, I. Fridman
Best Players: D. Unsworth, B. Vernon, B. McDonald, A. Parker, K. Haretuku, J. Terry
Northern Bullants
Goal Kickers: N. Meese 3, J. Mercuri 3, S. Jacobs 3, G. Connelly 2, L. O''Donnell 2, M. Quinton, A. Totino, J. Powell, M. Shields
Best Players: D. Davies, J. Spiteri, N. Meese, A. Totino, J. Powell, S. Gannon, S. Jacobs

Question: has anyone heard from Ilzy on how he went?
Ilz got limited time... all up 34 minutes he played (which i just don't see why he only get limited time) he got 9 possessions 4 marks and a goal... played very well when he was on and in the last quater i tihnk was one of the best... had about 4 shots on goal from about 45 out on the boundary and found it tough.... but his goal was goal of the day on the boundary from 45 out on the run after just coming off the bench....

Ilz has been getting limited time but still racking up the possies playing out of FF.... when hes on he kills it but right now the coach (stan alves' brother) is not giving him enough .....same thing happened in bendigo killed the last quater when he got played...Alot of potential should definately be a regular and hopefully more game time

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks mightysainters-

game time will come I'm sure
- But I guess we don't need it at the expense of sainters injuries making spaces in the reserves due to call ups to the seniors.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:its dissapointing that some posters all of a sudden want ferguson in instead of allen on the basis of one match

The fact Ferg clearly dominated a game gives him the edge I feel. Hed be jumping out of his skin waiting for his next game no matter were it is hed be that confident. Perfect time to bring a bloke in when hes flying on the back of a big game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
To the top
SS Life Member

The performance of the Scorpions, and obviously the St Kilda listed players was encouraging.

However, any promoted to the AFL team will notice a distinct lift in standard and pressure.

So let's not get too carried away by VFL form where the Scorpions won by 20 goals.

I would prefer consistently good form with the Scorpions to be the benchmark for promotion.

That said there is no doubt we look for consistently good class performances from the likes of Allen, McEvoy, Stevens and Howard because it may just be that we need the energy and enthusiasm of youth.

2009 eg:-

Howard Allen Gilbert
Gram Maguire S. Fisher
Riewoldt Goddard Hayes
X. Clarke Koschitzke R. Clarke
Ball McEvoy Stevens
Gardiner DalSanto Montagna

King Harvey Armitage L. Fisher

Depending on performances in 2008, we may move toward such a team before this season is out.