Clubs asking about Ben Long.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clubs asking about Ben Long.

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021 5:06pm
B.M wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 6:57pm I’m really iffy on Coffield

He seems to have attributes but doesn’t play with confidence
2022 is a make break year for Coffield.
I just thought in the last few games he seemed to have gritted the teeth and looked tougher and angrier.

I don't think he relishes tough footy (not saying he is soft), but he has taken a while to adapt to the hits.
Some players don't get it. You get paid to take hits. You get paid to cop bruises and you need to ignore the pain or maybe even...embrace it

We should employ these mums to fast track the young fellas. They’re looking for part time work and they enjoy dishing out pain

https://www.marieclaire.com.au/dominatr ... ouble-life

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand the interest in Ben Long from other clubs.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coffield

He had a concussion right?
But finished the year strongly.

But was there an earlier hit?

Re: Long

We’ve let so many players go who went on to shine , from Greene, Malthouse, Big Boy Mac, Hind, Hickey, Bruce…etc..etc..

But yet again, I just don’t see where Long will shine…One thing he doesn’t seems to have (same as Kent) is time…he furious and fast, but has some talent on his feet, but still he looks frantic and lacks poised. He gives a way frees regularly, which in the backline is costly, and upforward he is haphazard.

If he could be a Mitch Robinson kind of mid - maybe great - but maybe he hasn’t got the tank for that. Otherwise, I say you can’t afford to have one precious slot in the team reserved just for ‘aggression’ …

At the other end of the scale is Ross, who plays (me thinks) with less urgency. he plays wisely, economically, good sense but sometimes lacks the polish similar to Long. But he’s still a cog in the machine….just…just by the skin of his ..I don’t think Long is a cog…he’s a loose nut.

Long might be great for morale…Ross, I dunno…he looked like he was ‘just going’ this year.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

A bit out of date re Seb but interesting position on Long

From heraldsun.com.au

"Ben Long is hunting a fresh start and the Saints won’t stand in his way — if he can find a new home — as Seb Ross remains unsigned. Trade latest
Jay Clark, Glenn McFarlane and Jon Ralph
10 min read
October 3, 2021 - 6:08PM

NOW PLAYING
Resume
George Hewett offically becomes a Blue
0:56

St Kilda is open to trading hard-nut utility Ben Long as the club looks to bolster its hand at this year’s draft.

Long’s management has reached out to clubs about a potential fresh start, but without any takers the 24-year-old remains happy to stay at Moorabbin for next season.

Midfielder Seb Ross, 28, is also an unrestricted free agent and remains out of contract despite receiving an offer from the Saints.

The two-time best and fairest winner and St Kilda vice-captain finished seventh in the best and fairest again this year after another consistent season.

But the chances of securing a big payday are limited due to the tight salary caps across the competition.

Club sources on Sunday said this trade period looms as a fizzer with limited scope and cap room to land a big fish recruit.

Essendon was contacted about Long but the Bombers are yet to show any interest as Ben Rutten’s men look to the draft after successfully landing exciting trio Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zach Reid last year.

The Saints have picks No. 9, No. 49 and No. 67 in this year’s draft and want to be in a strong position to target some top-line young talent, according to chief executive Matt Finnis.

That includes next generation academy products Mitchito Owens, a wingman from Sandringham, and former gun basketballer turned powerful midfielder Marcus Windhager.s

A deal for Long or a free agency compensation pick for Ross would bolster the Saints’ position to nab the NGA products depending on where rival bids come.

Finnis said it was time for the Saints to “regenerate” at the draft after missing the eight this year.

The club is also trying to prepare an offer to land Gold Coast star forward Ben King in next year’s trade period.

“I’m looking forward to the draft this year,” Finnis said.

“There is an opportunity for the club to really regenerate and some bring in some talented youth and hopefully even take advantage of the next generation academy really for the first time.

“There might be a couple of players there which will be terrific.”

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 2:08pm on the basis our key NGA kids don't go in the top 20 have we got enough picks for them? i never fully understand how the bidding process works..
How long is a piece of string

Depending where they get bid on - we get a 20% discount on that.

So:
Currently we have 9, 46, 64 - so assuming that 9 is off limits the points for 46 and 64 add to 432 so would be equivalent to having to match 540 points bidded - or 270 each player (we could match picks 50 and 51 - or 35 and 74 - or 40 and 63) etc without drawing on any compo picks / trades / borrowings.

This would need clarifying, however, as I see it - if picks are moved down the order they lose value - so if 46 and 64 become 50 and 68 we only have 332 to play with (or matching 415)

AND - Trading 9 for 11 and 20 (for example) gives us 2,241 points vs 1,469 - so the equivalent points would really be picks 11 and 60 = pick 9 so if we were to split 9 to 11 and get anything better than 60 in return we profit and can use that pick (with it's 20% discount) on NGA selections

Simples

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 02 Oct 2021 8:54am I don't understand the interest in Ben Long from other clubs.
Not sure there is.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 12:45am
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 02 Oct 2021 8:54am I don't understand the interest in Ben Long from other clubs.
Not sure there is.
I wonder if the lack of interest in Saints players has affected the List Managers plans this off season ?

Hope they have a Plan B.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 04 Oct 2021 11:21am
MC Gusto wrote: Thu 30 Sep 2021 2:08pm on the basis our key NGA kids don't go in the top 20 have we got enough picks for them? i never fully understand how the bidding process works..
How long is a piece of string

Depending where they get bid on - we get a 20% discount on that.

So:
Currently we have 9, 46, 64 - so assuming that 9 is off limits the points for 46 and 64 add to 432 so would be equivalent to having to match 540 points bidded - or 270 each player (we could match picks 50 and 51 - or 35 and 74 - or 40 and 63) etc without drawing on any compo picks / trades / borrowings.

This would need clarifying, however, as I see it - if picks are moved down the order they lose value - so if 46 and 64 become 50 and 68 we only have 332 to play with (or matching 415)

AND - Trading 9 for 11 and 20 (for example) gives us 2,241 points vs 1,469 - so the equivalent points would really be picks 11 and 60 = pick 9 so if we were to split 9 to 11 and get anything better than 60 in return we profit and can use that pick (with it's 20% discount) on NGA selections

Simples
Correction
We no longer have picks 46 and 64
Due to 3 free compensation picks compensation picks St Kilda has picks 49 and 67 (ahead of movements that will happen on draft night)
That's 287 plus 69 = 356 points
A loss of 76 points

St Kilda may need around 420 more points pick40 just to get Windhager roughly and who knows how many for Owens.
St Kilda needs currency from trading out players before it can even think of trading in players.
Pick 28 worth 677 points was spent last year acquiring Jack Higgins
More than anticipated as the club expected to play finals in 2021.

Little interest in Dunstan, Lonie, Long or anyone else.
Clubs don't have salary cap room to move due to covid cap reductions being paid for by back ending contracts.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA