The Complete Grand Final Preview - Pies v Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DaVe86
Club Player

The Complete Grand Final Preview - Pies v Saints

Ladies, Gentlemen...and Stinger.

I return in peace again to share my weekly match preview. Obviously with so much at stake, I don't expect any love...and the opening is a bit Collingwood-centric....but I think you'll agree it is quite unbiased and a lot of work has gone in.

It goes onto the 2nd page, so just clikc "read more" to go over the page.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/afl/ultimate-grand-preview

It is also up on the Official Collingwood FC website, but i figured you guys would not want to charter into enemy territory...

Good luck, and should be a ripping game on Saturday

Dave

Buckets
SS Life Member

Great preview as always...
Only one problem....
You need to fix up the winner :wink:

Go Saints!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad write up....though one glaring error is that twice you refer to the Saints having a full list.

Raph Clarke is out injured...and last year showed that Lyon has him as an important player in our finals team due t his run.

If Baker was match conditioned he would 100% be playing.

So we are 2 down., and both are important mid-tier players for us. Bake's value is well beyond his own stats too...he makes everyone around him stand taller and play calmer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nice preview, just one thing stood out to me in regards to Rd 16 though.

That said, the Pies were able to expose St.Kilda for a lack of pace and were not cramped up by their zoning tactics. No doubt the instruction from Malthouse this week will be to take the game on from half back. If the Saints are able to lock the game up and it becomes a scrap, Collingwood has to remain patient and hit every contest with relentless pressure as it did in Round 16.

I thought our zoning tactics were ok in Rd 16, it wasn't that part of the game the let us down.

You still had one of your lowest inside 50's and scoring shots that day, you were just incredibly accurate in front of goal and made the most of your opportunities.

Enjoyed the read though, well put together.

Sainterone
Club Player

Thanks - Nice read Dave

Sorry to hear that you are not going.

It is unfortunate that many supporters miss out.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Hi DaVe, I always read your articles with interest. Very balanced opening arguments too.

With regards to the Saints' bottom 6 argument, I think many spectators misunderstand what these players are all about. Eddy and McQualter are quite clearly role-players, and except for tackles and goal assists I don't believe they are measured by any publicly available stats. They are the linchpins of St Kilda's forward press as I'm sure you are aware. There are some who argue that Gwilt should have been AA over O'Brien. Dempster has just collected the scalps of Stevie J and Gia and is coming into his 4th Grand Final. You have Dawson pegged in your article. From there you can take your pick of Jason Blake (17th in the comp for marks) or Benny Mac (some of the cleanest disposal you will ever see from a ruckman, and can kick crucial goals).

Collingwood's weapon is their rotations and their spread, both designed to catch the opponent out of position. The Saints can be caught out here but a high level of discipline will test the Pies.

I think you underestimate Riewoldt's influence. He tore apart in game last week not just with goals but some high-quality scoring chain involvement. Even if he floats up the ground he has to be minded. He is like no other player in the comp and right now he is red hot. Malthouse would be mad to play Presti straight up, he will be eaten alive.

If Kosi holds his form, minding him is a full-time job. Don't expect Reid to be able to peel off him without getting hurt.

Schneider and Milne have had stellar years. Compare their goal tallies against Cloke and Didak and have a think about it. Saying something like "if Collingwood can shut down the 4 St Kilda forwards" is a bit redundant, you may as well say "if flying pigs circle the MCG".

Other than that, not sure about your matchups but a good read and more even-handed than your last effort.

I'm not going to wish you luck, you're on our site, so I'll finish with GO SAINTS!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Saints43
Club Player

Re: The Complete Grand Final Preview - Pies v Saints

DaVe86 wrote:5 reasons why Collingwood can win

Reason 5

- Have played far more footy on the MCG and much more big game experience in 2010.
I feel this is going to be our trump card on Saturday. Was there any game in 2009 that felt as tense or looked as hard at the last match at the 'G?

I get the feeling that the skinny kids of collingwood reckon they've seen it all before. After all they played in front of 90070 against essendon on Anzac Day. Same thing, right?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
DaVe86 wrote:5 reasons why Collingwood can win

Reason 5

- Have played far more footy on the MCG and much more big game experience in 2010.
I feel this is going to be our trump card on Saturday. Was there any game in 2009 that felt as tense or looked as hard at the last match at the 'G?

I get the feeling that the skinny kids of collingwood reckon they've seen it all before. After all they played in front of 90070 against essendon on Anzac Day. Same thing, right?
Absolutely. DaVe's (and Nick Maxwell's) point can cut both ways. Familiarity breeds contempt...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

great effort Davo. Thanks for that. Always look forward to your write-ups when we clash.

Best of luck and enjoy the day up until about 4:50 please.

DaVe86
Club Player

thanks for the replies.

Here's a few comments based on what you guys have written.

Believe me I am not underestimating Riewoldt's influence. The guy is the most valuable player in the league. That's why I suggest we bring back Presti even though it is a bit desperate given his lack of match fitness. He'll make a meal of Nathan Brown...we are better taking the punt of Presti.

I 100% agree also on Schneider and Milne. They are stars. I said in the article that Saints forward line is better than Collingwood's. It has more goal-kicking power.

However, my counter-argument is that the Saints are far more reliant on the forwards to kick goals. Ours tend to come from the midfield. The forwards give us structure, but we don't need any one player to kick 3 or 4 to win.

So it works both ways.

If we hold Schneider and Milne and Kosi, and limit Riewoldt's influence to around 3 goals...then you'd back us in. If you hold Cloke and Dawes quiet...it doesn't necessarily mean you will win.

It's interesting to see which way it will go. Ultimately, I woudl prefer forwards that kick goals. But it coudl go either way, especially if we get our running game going.

Also agree that your bottom 6 aren't as bad as people make out. However, I think we have a better bottom 6 and more rotations through the middle. I begun to run out of midfield match-ups for you guys once I got to Sidebottom, Beams and Wellingham. That said you have a way better top 10.

Again, the counter argument to that is that your guys are there for set roles...whereas ours are midfield rotations. Ultimately, if your gun 4 midfielders dominate, it doesn't matter how many rotations we have going through there. Your best 4 are better than our best 4.

Also...word is Leon Davis will be named. If so, I can see you bringing in Baker.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DaVe86 wrote:Ladies, Gentlemen...and Stinger.

Dave

i am not going to read it dave...i don't read any articles on the filth...not going to start now......but i hope you enjoy the game......well, until the saints get on top and start pantsing your team of front runners.........and that there are no serious injuries .....

.....we will endure.....

go saints...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

DaVe86 wrote:If we hold Schneider and Milne and Kosi, and limit Riewoldt's influence to around 3 goals...then you'd back us in. If you hold Cloke and Dawes quiet...it doesn't necessarily mean you will win.
Agree on your midfield comments. But - again - I wouldn't back Collingwood to stop even three of our forwards. Two, if you're lucky. And whoever you stop, the others will kick a combined 8 or more, guaranteed.

And just because our midfield goalkickers aren't obvious doesn't mean they aren't there. Goddard and Montagna have kicked bags of 5 this year. Dal Santo, Gram and Peake can all be counted on to chip in one or two. And both of our rucks.

If the Saints win, it will be because they are winning the contested ball, drying up the midfield attacking opportunities; and forcing Collingwood wide on the rebound, denying clean inside-50 entries. None of your forwards can thread the needle from the boundary line which is partly why you're only one of two teams in the comp to kick more behinds than goals this year.

DaVe86
Club Player

you said the magic word InkerSaint...contested ball.

Collingwood loves nothing more than to get the ball forward, then lock it in with an 18 man forward press. We adopted it off you guys.

The team that wins the contested ball and gets it forward will have the edge...because both sides are so adept and locking the ball inside 50.

I think in terms of average goal kickers per game...we are averaging around 9, you are around 6. However, your 6 kick mulitple goals far more frequently.

DaVe86
Club Player

stinger wrote:

Dave

i am not going to read it dave...i don't read any articles on the filth...not going to start now......but i hope you enjoy the game......well, until the saints get on top and start pantsing your team of front runners.........and that there are no serious injuries .....

.....we will endure.....

that's about as nice as you've ever been to me stinger! Hope you enjoy the game too.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DaVe86 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Dave

.....we will endure.....

that's about as nice as you've ever been to me stinger! Hope you enjoy the game too.
and about s nice as i am every going to be mate..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: ...44 years between drinks...and saints v pie grannies......a lifetime actually......i had a whole career in between.......remember 66 like yesterday too.....f*** it felt good.... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

InkerSaint wrote:None of your forwards can thread the needle from the boundary line which is partly why you're only one of two teams in the comp to kick more behinds than goals this year.
I take it back - Didak and Thomas put through two beauties in the first quarter. It's the set shots in front of goal they can't nail! :)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:None of your forwards can thread the needle from the boundary line which is partly why you're only one of two teams in the comp to kick more behinds than goals this year.
I take it back - Didak and Thomas put through two beauties in the first quarter. It's the set shots in front of goal they can't nail! :)
when the pressure is on and it counts.