the descriptive prose - how odd can they get?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the descriptive prose - how odd can they get?

Robert Murphy is trying for differant

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 15n2j.html
If Collingwood is like a bulldozer, destroying everything in its path, then perhaps St Kilda is more of a Central Park Christmas tree, each branch fitting in snuggly with the next. But to make the tree a thing to behold, a star must sit atop, shining brightly for all to see.

Nick Riewoldt is that star, and any side with the big No. 12 would be a chance, bulldozer or not. And so it comes down to two - a bulldozer and a tree. Who'd have thought football could get even more political?
well I guess is a variation on the _ ' good.... well Very Good"

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

That is probably the most bizarre "football" article I have seen this week - he did not actually say anything except about his difficulty urinating.
Urologist required perhaps? :roll:
Even more bizarre was his reference to himself as a journalist ... 8-)

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Stoner... And a bloody weird one at that...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Stoner... And a bloody weird one at that...
i like murph. one of the footballers i'd most like to have a beer with. his writing's up there with timmy pekin's writing from a few years ago as most interesting stuff on football.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:...his writing's up there with timmy pekin's writing from a few years ago as most interesting stuff on football.
Agree. It seems that metaphors are lost on the "just make it simple" crew these days. Simplicity is the craving of the ignorant. Almost everything is complex and can't be reduced to a slogan, other than: Go Saints!

missgez
Club Player

Challenging Harry O perhaps for the title of most cerebral footballer?

:wink:

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Gawd Murph... and to think I went to school with him (as well as having his mum as one of my teachers).

I'm not that strange... Am I? :shock:

They walk amongst us...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Thinline wrote:Stoner... And a bloody weird one at that...
i like murph. one of the footballers i'd most like to have a beer with. his writing's up there with timmy pekin's writing from a few years ago as most interesting stuff on football.
You're assuming I don't like stoners and weird people...

8-)

I quite like Murphy's stuff.

But visualising skeletor straining to piddle in a cup wasn't really my bag this time around...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is a naivety in his overly descriptive writing. He is a little bit like Isabel Allende mixed with Carlos Casteneda doing acid in a descriptive writing course in free writing mode, strange combo with football musings. As long as he is talking up the Saints instead of his dog, I like him. I met him a few years ago with Brett Kirk and he seemed like a really nice guy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Christmas tree's are merry, I am OK with that...

However, people really appear to have forgotten Saints are capable of being a bulldozer?