Lets be honest bout the GF...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

men will overcome boys any day of the week.

Our time has arived.

Saints fans I implore you to not be a bunch of thick head loser types this weak.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont get the point of mentioning who we have lost to. We can win for sure. We need to stop the pies playing at their best because their best is better than ours and that is because we are defence first where as they are probably attack first.

We will need to play like we did in the third quarter otherwise the game could be over early. We need to play possession footy and hang onto the ball as long as possible. Slow play is what we need. They will and should be favourites but it is far from impossible. We must stop their best footy.
Agree with this. You've got to be in it to win it and we are there.
Sure they will go in favourites. And rightly so. But if we can stick with them and play like we did today after half time (and also early in the Geelong game). If we can get our game going we are certainly a chance.
We did beat them earlier in the year. ANything is possible on the big day.
The key to our game is our defence and that will hopefully keep us in the game and give us a chance. We have to believe we can win it. We can beat anyone on our day...hopefully next Saturday is one of those days.
Its quite funny. The reason I thought the WB would be in it for a long time tonight is because we are defensive side. Now the boot is on the other foot and the reason we are a huge chance next week is because we are a defensive side and will always be in the game.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont get the point of mentioning who we have lost to. We can win for sure. We need to stop the pies playing at their best because their best is better than ours and that is because we are defence first where as they are probably attack first.

We will need to play like we did in the third quarter otherwise the game could be over early. We need to play possession footy and hang onto the ball as long as possible. Slow play is what we need. They will and should be favourites but it is far from impossible. We must stop their best footy.
Agree with this. You've got to be in it to win it and we are there.
Sure they will go in favourites. And rightly so. But if we can stick with them and play like we did today after half time (and also early in the Geelong game). If we can get our game going we are certainly a chance.
We did beat them earlier in the year. ANything is possible on the big day.
The key to our game is our defence and that will hopefully keep us in the game and give us a chance. We have to believe we can win it. We can beat anyone on our day...hopefully next Saturday is one of those days.
Its quite funny. The reason I thought the WB would be in it for a long time tonight is because we are defensive side. Now the boot is on the other foot and the reason we are a huge chance next week is because we are a defensive side and will always be in the game.
True. We kept them in it early to an extent, but also didn't let them get away from us early when they were playing better. Yet when the crunch came we turned it on....and how beautiful it was.
We can't let the pies get the start they got last week (and also the last time we played them). Keep close to them early and we are a big show.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood won 2 of the quarters on friday night. The first 2 they kicked 7.1 and 6.5 and then 3.4 2.1

We also won 2 quarters the 2nd and 3rd.
we kicked 1.5 2.1 7.4 and 3.0

So our best quarter is just as good as theirs.

Oh and we lost the last quarter with 5 on the bench.

noob
Club Player

lol collingwood would have won all 4 quarters if they didn't eased off.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

We will give it our all. Our gamestyle means it is VERY hard to blow us out of the water. They will be nervous themselves. How will they stop Roo (who has torn them up many times)? Milney and Schneider are very good players. We have dash off half back, and if we can win enough contested footy and give our forwards a chance then we are in it up to our necks. Eddy and Mini can try and nullify Collingwood's running defenders. BJ, Joey, Dal and Lenny is as formidable a midfield as there is in the league. Ray, Gram and Peake are capable footballers who can be dangerous and the Pies will be nervous too.

Mostly though, I think it will come down to goalkicking. If the Pies miss some early sitters they will get nervous, and if we can make them pay early, well, no one is better at sitting on a lead than we are!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Lets be honest bout the GF...

kosifantutti23 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:of course its possible to win this, BUT...

I cant really see a way we can in all honesty. Collingwood were devastating last night, butt have played that way for three months now. Their exact strengths are our exact weaknesses unfortunately. They have pace to burn, and are high scoring.

When beaten by teams this year (Ess/Carl) that are nowhere near as good as us, it was because they were able to run us off our feet.

Anyway, I have been admonishing myself for not feeling so pumped after getting home from the game. But I just cant see how....
I've registered for a grand final ticket but having read this I don't really want it. Now I've just got to cancel my flight and set my alarm for 9:30 next Saturday morning and I'll be spared all the pain.

Thanks iwantmeseats, what a terrible week I could have have had if you had not posted this and allowed me to see the light.
I concur, let's forfeit, there is no point even bothering.

I mean we haven't beaten Collingwood in finals each of the last two years, or 4 of the last 5 times we've played them.

I mean we have lost 1 of the 6 games we've played against top 4 opposition.

No team could possibly win a game with those stats we are obviously a bunch of plonkers.

FFS, Collingwood deserve favouritism they've had a fantastic year but we've been bloody good too. As long as the game starts nill all and is played with 18 against 18 we can win.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The odds are:

Collingwood 1.45
St Kilda 2.65

We were bigger outsiders against Geelong two weeks ago.

We aren't favourites, and if the match was simulated 100 times we might only win 20 of them. But we are a very good team, and we have to win one albeit difficult game to taste the sweetest glory of all.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Of course we can win it and all of Collingwood, from Eddie down, fear that we will.

Riewoldt intimidates them. They are wary of Goddard. Big, tough men like Gardiner scare them. They have until quite recently been our bitches.

It's one thing to hammer an old and tired Geelong, whose last hurrah was the final quarter against us in the qualifying final when they threw everything at us and came up short.

But you watch them tighten up this week. They carry the heavy burden of being expected to win and many of their players are grand final novices.

Are we over the line? No, but we are a good chance, so please quit with the self-defeatist drivel.

We need to start well. Their best bet is to blow an opponent away like they did to Geelong.

A little bit of early scoreboard pressure and it is anyone's game ... hopefully ours.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 19 Sep 2010 2:25am, edited 1 time in total.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:23am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Is this the face of a confident man?
Is that fair dinkum?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest about Ross Lyon....

Unlike Bomber, he is going to deliver some semblance of a gameplan, provide each player with a role and purpose, devise tactics that are Collingwood specific....

It's all good.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Let's be honest about Ross Lyon....

Unlike Bomber, he is going to deliver some semblance of a gameplan, provide each player with a role and purpose, devise tactics that are Collingwood specific....

It's all good.
That's why Ross is a GUN!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Let's be honest about Ross Lyon. Unlike Bomber, he is going to deliver some semblance of a gameplan, provide each player with a role and purpose, devise tactics that are Collingwood specific.
Yep, and he has a lot more class than his opposite number.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Lets be honest bout the GF...

iwantmeseats wrote:of course its possible to win this, BUT...

I cant really see a way we can in all honesty. Collingwood were devastating last night, butt have played that way for three months now. Their exact strengths are our exact weaknesses unfortunately. They have pace to burn, and are high scoring.

When beaten by teams this year (Ess/Carl) that are nowhere near as good as us, it was because they were able to run us off our feet.

Anyway, I have been admonishing myself for not feeling so pumped after getting home from the game. But I just cant see how....
Please , think back to round 4 ? High scoring ? Have some faith !!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
[SuB]
Club Player

Actually he just looked tired in that sequence.. Which is not a bad thing either ;)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

harden up.

we are gonna win a flag next week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:harden up.

we are gonna win a flag next week.
This.. and you and I will have a celebratory ale or two..Cheers red :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Ye let's be honest, Collingfilth could get within 10 goals

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling we will win next week. I expect the goal kicking yips will come and haunt Collingwood next week. They are going to s*** themselves

Another opportunity awaits!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

At the risk of temping fate, I reckon we are odds on.

There's no substitute for experience in the really big games. The Pies are way, way down on that score. They are likely to run us off our feet and get a few goals up on us in the first half, but, if we can keep them in range (no more than 4 goals by half time) andhold our nerve, we'll mow 'em down in the second half.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Our best is better than their best this is something that I am quite certain of

Ihave 35 more posts to make this week - my 35th will be on the morning of Grand Final day

35 - what a great number!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Didn't C*llingw**d win the flag last night? They were certainly celebrating like they just had. And may their celebrations carry on through until Saturday, 2pm, when they wake up with one hell of a hangover.

They are ripe for the picking.

TEAR EM UP, SAINTERS!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Funny how in big games things change. We just need to knock them off their stride. If they don't start like last week, and we start grinding them, I can see doubts entering their heads. They are in uncharted waters.

If we allow them to run and create like Geelong did, it will be very difficult. But if we get them out of their comfort zone, and they start to panic a bit, we will roll them.

Have to get them down on our terms.

Carn the Saints!!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

[SuB] wrote:
II look at his smug players smiling and joking in some corporate box somewhere.

I think: you fuckers are gonna get a rude shock...

We're inspired by the hell of a GF loss. They are riding the thrill of just getting there.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'