Overconfidence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I said last year, winning a premiership will be harder on us emotionally than losing one.
Why, because we are so use to losing, we are so use to disappointment, but none of us really know what it is like to win.
I was too young in 66 to understand it, all I know is that I'll probably be an emotional wreck if we win, along with 1,000's of other saints win who will be crying their eyes out.
I'm sure many Geelong supporters felt this way 3 years ago, Thompson is right, I'd love to be where they are now in 2013.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:As I said last year, winning a premiership will be harder on us emotionally than losing one.
Why, because we are so use to losing, we are so use to disappointment, but none of us really know what it is like to win.
I was too young in 66 to understand it, all I know is that I'll probably be an emotional wreck if we win, along with 1,000's of other saints win who will be crying their eyes out.
I'm sure many Geelong supporters felt this way 3 years ago, Thompson is right, I'd love to be where they are now in 2013.
I imagine that one way or another, 2010 is going to end in a ball of tears for myself, much the same way 2009 did.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:As I said last year, winning a premiership will be harder on us emotionally than losing one.
I imagine that one way or another, 2010 is going to end in a ball of tears for myself, much the same way 2009 did.
+1

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Hopefully they'll be "tears in heaven" :D

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Overconfidence

SaintHomer wrote:Maybe this comes from a lifetime of being a Saints supporter, but all this GF talk makes me very nervous.

The confidence spruked on this website is killing me. How short are the memories of some? The rant and raves on here going into the prelim against the Swans a few years back had us all in the GF and all but premiers! People talking about their tickets, and where they'd be sitting.

Make no mistake. If we bring anything other than our A game on Saturday night, we will lose. Dogs are only 2 players short (although I have my doubts on Morris, either misdiagnosis orginally or a ruse) and got over a Swans side that was playing very good football.

Love him or hate him, they have a matchwinner in one B Hall.

One week at a time.... please
No question if the boys don't play near their best Saturday night we will all be making very different plans for next Saturday.

That said, it's hard not to daydream at this time of the year. if you dare to dream about a win this week you are playing a Grand Final next week.

And we all know the prize on offer if we win that.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:I'm 90% confident we'll win comfortably.

If they try to slow the game down, we'll destroy them.

If they try to take the game on, we'll destroy them.

They are down a couple of brownlow medalists, are playing one guy on sentiment who is on one leg, and are potentially taking in another very suspect player.

Last week was their GF... they are the filth of 2009 and the Saints of 2008.

But... sh1t does tend to happen!

Saints by 5-8 goals.
Yep.

Overconfidence is assuming the next two games will be easy. They won't.

But there's nothing wrong with being bullish about our prospects. Our opponent is limping into this game. If we make it to next week, there's every chance we will have a similar advantage again. As if that wasn't enough where on a good day we can beat anyone.

The Doggies are cooked if Griffen is anything less than 100%. He's their major ball-winner. Johnson and Lake are in trouble, Morris will be underdone, 4 youngsters with 70 games between them are expected to stand up, and Minson has been shocking all year.

The Saints look like the polar opposite. Kosi showed his best form in ages, Roo and Milne are terrorising, the fringe players such as Eddy, Mini, Dempster are looking good, hell, I'll even back Dawson in to match it with Hall after his game against the Cats.

It will be an outright bloody disgrace if we lose to a half-arsed band of pirates! :x

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have argued on here all year, that all that was lacking at times was incentive. Is that justifable, probably not, but who as a supporter hasn't felt restless for finals at times this year?

Intensity returned against the Cats in Rd 13, suddenly it reappeared when the Dogs were chomping at our heels for third spot late in the season...

Then there was the amazing spectacle we witnessed again against Geelong.

It's time people, it's time 8-)
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 17 Sep 2010 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I must admit, neither team we're that impressive last week. If Bradshaw had kicked straight we'd be playing the Swans tomorrow night.
Both Lake and Williams looked a little proppy too.
Not overconfident, but do believe we are the better team and should win.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Statsman
Club Player

Fortunately the mind set of our players is not dictated by the general mood of this forum. Regardless of whether we as fans are over confident or not, rest assured that Ross will have the players in the right frame of mind to come out and deliver. If they do that, there best is good enough to win and advance to the GF.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
markp
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Yep.

Overconfidence is assuming the next two games will be easy. They won't.

But there's nothing wrong with being bullish about our prospects. Our opponent is limping into this game. If we make it to next week, there's every chance we will have a similar advantage again. As if that wasn't enough where on a good day we can beat anyone.

The Doggies are cooked if Griffen is anything less than 100%. He's their major ball-winner. Johnson and Lake are in trouble, Morris will be underdone, 4 youngsters with 70 games between them are expected to stand up, and Minson has been shocking all year.

The Saints look like the polar opposite. Kosi showed his best form in ages, Roo and Milne are terrorising, the fringe players such as Eddy, Mini, Dempster are looking good, hell, I'll even back Dawson in to match it with Hall after his game against the Cats.

It will be an outright bloody disgrace if we lose to a half-arsed band of pirates! :x
Absolutely spot on.