Overconfidence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintHomer
Club Player

Overconfidence

Maybe this comes from a lifetime of being a Saints supporter, but all this GF talk makes me very nervous.

The confidence spruked on this website is killing me. How short are the memories of some? The rant and raves on here going into the prelim against the Swans a few years back had us all in the GF and all but premiers! People talking about their tickets, and where they'd be sitting.

Make no mistake. If we bring anything other than our A game on Saturday night, we will lose. Dogs are only 2 players short (although I have my doubts on Morris, either misdiagnosis orginally or a ruse) and got over a Swans side that was playing very good football.

Love him or hate him, they have a matchwinner in one B Hall.

One week at a time.... please

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I certainly havent pencilled in a win at all for this game.

Being favs sits terribly with me......I guess to be great you have to accept that.

I hope Lyon and co use this favorites talk (dont expect Ross uses much of this type motivation at all....but Eade will make no mistake) as a statement game.....pressure on early to send a clear message.......

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The pain of last year burns strong for this group of players.

The reward for a win on Saturday night is enormous.

There is no way the players will be overconfident or bring less than their A game. That would be the case regardless of who we were playing.

Don't mistake overconfidence by fans on the forum with how the team is approaching this extremely important event. :wink:

Beej
Saintsational Legend

It's funny because if you told me before the finals began that we'd play the Bulldogs in a prelim I would've bitten your hand off.

At the time I would've given us 80/20 favouritsm against the Dogs.

However, as each day passes that 80/20 in my mind has slowly become 50/50 and will most likely become 40/60 by the first bounce. :)

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

The dogs are dangerous and we must give back to them everything they dish up..and more.

You're right, anything less than 100% will be a loss. Nothing should be taken lightly now.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

My confidence stems from our side being 100% focussed on what they need to achieve and how they are going to do it. We are well drilled, well coached, fit and fresh.

There are no excuses for our side. We will not be beaten by the better side, we will only lose the game ourselves, if we dont have 100% effort.

I expect St Kilda to win on saturday night, because we are the better team.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Overconfidence

SaintHomer wrote:Maybe this comes from a lifetime of being a Saints supporter, but all this GF talk makes me very nervous.

The confidence spruked on this website is killing me. How short are the memories of some? The rant and raves on here going into the prelim against the Swans a few years back had us all in the GF and all but premiers! People talking about their tickets, and where they'd be sitting.

Make no mistake. If we bring anything other than our A game on Saturday night, we will lose. Dogs are only 2 players short (although I have my doubts on Morris, either misdiagnosis orginally or a ruse) and got over a Swans side that was playing very good football.

i have similar qualms

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:However, as each day passes that 80/20 in my mind has slowly become 50/50 and will most likely become 40/60 by the first bounce. :)
mate, wait until we're three goals down at quarter-time after a slow start. you'll be 25-75 by then.

Fulham_Sainter
Club Player

My confidence stems from our side being 100% focussed on what they need to achieve and how they are going to do it. We are well drilled, well coached, fit and fresh.

There are no excuses for our side. We will not be beaten by the better side, we will only lose the game ourselves, if we dont have 100% effort.

I expect St Kilda to win on saturday night, because we are the better team.
This.
Seriously though how many of these "one week at a time" related threads do we need? Yep for those nervous ones there is a thread for that.....

Footy is about confidence and belief, among other things like skill etc. if we lose Saturday night it will be a F*** up, with a resultant boring GF.

Maguire#31
Club Player

I have a mate who works at the Dogs, I very much expect him to play from what I have been told.
SaintHomer wrote:Maybe this comes from a lifetime of being a Saints supporter, but all this GF talk makes me very nervous.

Justin Koschitzke --> The Next Matty Maguire!
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm 90% confident we'll win comfortably.

If they try to slow the game down, we'll destroy them.

If they try to take the game on, we'll destroy them.

They are down a couple of brownlow medalists, are playing one guy on sentiment who is on one leg, and are potentially taking in another very suspect player.

Last week was their GF... they are the filth of 2009 and the Saints of 2008.

But... sh1t does tend to happen!

Saints by 5-8 goals.

noob
Club Player

Need to start well.. if we don't we put more pressure on ourselves and doggies confidence just grows. Get to a good start and then i don't think we'll take the foot off the pedal

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

No game can be taken lightly over the next 2 weeks! Two tough games and we've got it! Sounds simple, but in reality it's a gruelling marathon!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Beej wrote:However, as each day passes that 80/20 in my mind has slowly become 50/50 and will most likely become 40/60 by the first bounce. :)
mate, wait until we're three goals down at quarter-time after a slow start. you'll be 25-75 by then.
Then the 2nd quarter and a couple of dodgy Bulldog free-kicks from point-blank range, one from a dubious 50, a concussion to one of our key movers and a wasteful 0.7 in front of goal to add insult to injury.

15-85.

*has seen it all before*

:lol:

Middo
Club Player

Does it really mean anything what we think or say on this website as supporters as its only an opinion...? I'm thinking the team has thoughts of this game and this game only. Be prepared for one of the toughest games but also be prepared for a win as these guys just keep getting the job done !!!!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Does it really mean anything what we think or say on this website as supporters as its only an opinion...? I'm thinking the team has thoughts of this game and this game only. Be prepared for one of the toughest games but also be prepared for a win as these guys just keep getting the job done !!!!!
At one stage I would have agreed with you Middo however recent events have caused me to change my mind.

No names, but a friend of a friend of a friend recently came across some confidential information that was contained on a laptop he bought at a pub.

This document was entitled “Saints Finals Preparationâ€

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Middo wrote:Does it really mean anything what we think or say on this website as supporters as its only an opinion...? I'm thinking the team has thoughts of this game and this game only. Be prepared for one of the toughest games but also be prepared for a win as these guys just keep getting the job done !!!!!
At one stage I would have agreed with you Middo however recent events have caused me to change my mind.

No names, but a friend of a friend of a friend recently came across some confidential information that was contained on a laptop he bought at a pub.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Middo
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am more confident this year than last, we know they are capable and that it wasn't a lucky season. We have been just cruising along nicely and look to be going into the prelim with a decent list and a strong motivation.

Years of watching football and watching the Saints lets me know it comes down to keeping your mind on the job at hand and putting in your best effort. Our processes make us more resilient to outside factors but mean we don't put teams away. Any team in a prelim or any other game for that matter, can let one slip due to a range of factors.

I can't wait to see if we are on tomorrow. Go you Sainters.

sainter104
Club Player

no need to be worried that will do nothing.
Saints WILL be premiers 2010
nuff said

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100% with OP.

Anything less than our best effort will result in a loss.

It's easier said than done. We have to hope our boys leave nothing in the tank.

If we lose, there's no tomorrow. Everything must go into winning this game and not underestimating our opponents.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Msaybe its because I'm a sick, sadistic, masochistic individual who LOVES to torture myself but after watching that moment last night, I watched the last five minutes of the Grand Final last year - the first time I have ever watched ANY of the game (apart fomr last night) and let me tell you - I have such strong emotions coursing through me right now, its not even funny.

We were so close, so very close last year, and for most of the game we bloody well had them - I couldn't bear for the same to happen this year.

So if i'm overconfident, i'm only trying to convince myself.

I want to believe we will go all the way this year - because the alternative is just too painful to bear.

I have complete faith in the team to get the job done but that doesn't mean i'm overconfident.

I am trying not to even think about losing on Saturday night because that thought is just too painful.

Oh, just thinking about it hurts.

I hate preliminary finals.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I'm 90% confident we'll win comfortably.

If they try to slow the game down, we'll destroy them.

If they try to take the game on, we'll destroy them.

They are down a couple of brownlow medalists, are playing one guy on sentiment who is on one leg, and are potentially taking in another very suspect player.

Last week was their GF... they are the filth of 2009 and the Saints of 2008.

But... sh1t does tend to happen!

A+

Saints by 5-8 goals.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

5 years ago a lot of people we're talking up our chances against the Swans, except me.
I saw the injuries we sustained from the great Adelaide win and our team was significantyly weakened for that prelim, and consequently it caught up with us in the end.
This year though we go in with a much fitter side than the Bulldogs, we've won a prelim before so the monkey is off our backs and very much on the Bulldogs back.
We are probably better prepared than even last year, yet we still haven't produced 100 minutes of our best football this year.
I will say it again, we come out and do to the Bulldogs what we did to Geelong in the 1st half and the game will be over at half time, our best is a lot better than theirs.
I am confident in our ability to win and win well tomorrow night, but, as St.Kilda supporter you always fear the worse, because unfortunately our history is littered with it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:5 years ago a lot of people we're talking up our chances against the Swans, except me.
I saw the injuries we sustained from the great Adelaide win and our team was significantyly weakened for that prelim, and consequently it caught up with us in the end.
This year though we go in with a much fitter side than the Bulldogs, we've won a prelim before so the monkey is off our backs and very much on the Bulldogs back.
We are probably better prepared than even last year, yet we still haven't produced 100 minutes of our best football this year.
I will say it again, we come out and do to the Bulldogs what we did to Geelong in the 1st half and the game will be over at half time, our best is a lot better than theirs.
I am confident in our ability to win and win well tomorrow night, but, as St.Kilda supporter you always fear the worse, because unfortunately our history is littered with it.
That's an excellent point you make, at the end of this post.

its the reason why so many of us can't even fathom winning a Premiership because we've only ever won one! it would feel so... surreal.