No changes this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: No changes this week

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:
On the Ball wrote:Gotta love the stability!
Nope: I can't possibly love a situation in which it seems that Baker will inevitably miss out on the PF and (if we make it) the GF in favour of Dempster and Eddy: both of whom (unlike Baker) are unreliable overhead and in disposing of the ball by foot when placed under extreme pressure.

We beat Geelong in the QF, but I expect Geelong to be back and they will be no easier to beat this year than last year. In a big game, Geelong are well nigh impossible to put away at any stage and, when they start rolling forward in waves, the guys down back are going to need to be perfect in everything they do or they will be blown away.

Ross's game plan is tremendous, but sometimes he seems to be overly confident in it. The 22 selected here includes at least 8 relatively mediocre players: Dawson, Ray, Eddy, Dempster, McQualter, Peake, Jones and Gwilt. All great blokes, hard workers and good players on their day (with Jones, Peake and Gwilt in particular having all come a long, long way under Ross's guidance), but - if Geelong had 8 of their top players missing - I still don't believe any of these guys would get a look in (even as emergencies).

I think that Baker, while no superstar, is a class above any of the eight players I've listed above. I think that deliberately going into possibly the two most important games the club has played in the past 44 years without him is a huge risk: a much bigger risk than playing Zac ahead of Max last year.

I hope I'm wrong (or else, that we get a last minute withdrawal and Baker gets a game: the position of Gwilt's name on the list is somewhat intriguing).
Hope? You are! The greatest athlete playing the game in Riewoldt took a month to find post injury feet. Baker won't play again this year. No way known.
I'm sort of assuming that Baker's injury wasn't quite of the same severity as Nick's.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:Do people think we can win a flag with Robert Eddy in the team? THat's not meant as a slight (even though it sounds like one) You'd have to think though that he needs to do more if we are to win a flag. I'm genuinely surprised by this.
He will play on Harbrow. He has a role this week. Will he next week. Depends on who we play.
yep. eddy to harbrow makes sense to me. gwility to bob murphy?

Lyon has show throughout the season that he is not averse to the last minute change. So lets see who runs out. But yeah I see Eddy as a possible match up for harbrow... But im not filled with confidence... Which leaves dempster vulnerable.

I guess they will be crunching the match-ups as we speak.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote: The 22 selected here includes at least 8 relatively mediocre players: Dawson, Ray, Eddy, Dempster, McQualter, Peake, Jones and Gwilt. All great blokes, hard workers and good players on their day (with Jones, Peake and Gwilt in particular having all come a long, long way under Ross's guidance), but - if Geelong had 8 of their top players missing - I still don't believe any of these guys would get a look in (even as emergencies).
I agree with the majority of your point, but the above statement is far from the truth... Ray, Jones and Gwilt would be close to, if not in, the Cats best 22 at full strength, let alone missing '8' players...

We saw how their depth is no where near as good as first thought last year, and at the same time you are seriously underselling some of our players... The 3 I mentioned earlier are all seriously good AFL players now, Peake, Dawson and Mini are all cemeting thier spots, and will get better...

Eddy and Dempster, I agree, are seriously borderline players... I would olnly have Bakes in the side at the expense of one of those two, or perhaps Mini... Noone else is disposable...

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:
On the Ball wrote:Gotta love the stability!
Nope: I can't possibly love a situation in which it seems that Baker will inevitably miss out on the PF and (if we make it) the GF in favour of Dempster and Eddy: both of whom (unlike Baker) are unreliable overhead and in disposing of the ball by foot when placed under extreme pressure.

We beat Geelong in the QF, but I expect Geelong to be back and they will be no easier to beat this year than last year. In a big game, Geelong are well nigh impossible to put away at any stage and, when they start rolling forward in waves, the guys down back are going to need to be perfect in everything they do or they will be blown away.

Ross's game plan is tremendous, but sometimes he seems to be overly confident in it. The 22 selected here includes at least 8 relatively mediocre players: Dawson, Ray, Eddy, Dempster, McQualter, Peake, Jones and Gwilt. All great blokes, hard workers and good players on their day (with Jones, Peake and Gwilt in particular having all come a long, long way under Ross's guidance), but - if Geelong had 8 of their top players missing - I still don't believe any of these guys would get a look in (even as emergencies).

I think that Baker, while no superstar, is a class above any of the eight players I've listed above. I think that deliberately going into possibly the two most important games the club has played in the past 44 years without him is a huge risk: a much bigger risk than playing Zac ahead of Max last year.

I hope I'm wrong (or else, that we get a last minute withdrawal and Baker gets a game: the position of Gwilt's name on the list is somewhat intriguing).
Hope? You are! The greatest athlete playing the game in Riewoldt took a month to find post injury feet. Baker won't play again this year. No way known.
I'm sort of assuming that Baker's injury wasn't quite of the same severity as Nick's.
Does anyone know how many times we've fielded an "no change" team in the last 2 years and actually lost the game? - doubt there's many (if any)??

We do stability better than just about any other team in the comp.

Go You Good Things!

Look again it's the Flash!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I'm sort of assuming that Baker's injury wasn't quite of the same severity as Nick's.
maybe we're working on the second-week-from-a-spell thing. if he plays this week then this theory says that he'll be too sore next week to play well - if we get there. on the other hand, if he doesn't play this week and sneaks back into the side next week - if we get there - then he'll be breathing fire and can get through two hours before tightening up.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

interesting that no roughhead in the 25 for the dogs. Minson will def be the second ruck... advantage us.

Would be very happy if the way they are lined up is how the dogs play. Murphy is a key for them and would allow them a hit up forward. This is the biggest advantage of the morris move, as they have the structure now down back to allow murphy to go forward.

Don't rate gilbee as a forward IMO, great disposal but needs others to get him into the game. The only natural forwards in that line up are hall, gia, grant and johno.

Want gards to work hard forward, hudson is more a around the ground ruckman and struggles against rucks going forward. Will be a beauty.

CJ takes griffen. We need to pressure the likes of ward, wood, addison and picken as their kicking skills make our bottom 6 look like stars.

No excuses. Bring our game and it should be over in the third term. The time is NOW!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
meher baba wrote:I'm sort of assuming that Baker's injury wasn't quite of the same severity as Nick's.
maybe we're working on the second-week-from-a-spell thing. if he plays this week then this theory says that he'll be too sore next week to play well - if we get there. on the other hand, if he doesn't play this week and sneaks back into the side next week - if we get there - then he'll be breathing fire and can get through two hours before tightening up.
If we play Collingwood, surely there's no one you'd rather have on Didak than Bakes, even with 12 weeks off.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

oh could you imagine that...
the side goes in as is with bakes as an emergency this week
we get thru
the cats get up over the pies

and baker is named next week and plays back on stevie J in the grannie

oh my

dear god/lord/deity
someone told me once its never to late to start praying
so... on that note,
for f**** sake
please bring the above true
lots of love
matrix

ps. and a 30 point bollocking of the cats in the grannie wouldnt go astray either...
...if its not too much to ask for
8-)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote: dear god/lord/deity
Dear Barks

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

amen

shine a light this way barks
8-) 8-) 8-)

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

StPeter wrote:I am still stumped how Eddy can be selected ahead of any of the emergencies and Armitage as well. Mini also fortunate in my opinion.
I'm not sure why all the angst over Eddy, AFAIC we have looked much better in every game he has played. He is a good size for a half forward, quicker than you think, can run forever and is probably in the top 5 tacklers at the club. He has also learnt to present to the footy this year and be an option.

But what I really love about him is his discipline, watch the geelong QF again, Eddy always does the right things at the right times. He gives off the first option and is strong enough to stand in a tackle and still get off a handball.

I think he is a pretty good player and deserves to be in our best 22

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Imagine how the mood will be in the house shared by Bakes, Eddy and Jack!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

crickey!

[SuB]
Club Player

Feel sorry for Bakes, but hopefully it turns as the right decision for the team, this week and hopefully next.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
StPeter wrote:I am still stumped how Eddy can be selected ahead of any of the emergencies and Armitage as well. Mini also fortunate in my opinion.
I'm not sure why all the angst over Eddy, AFAIC we have looked much better in every game he has played. He is a good size for a half forward, quicker than you think, can run forever and is probably in the top 5 tacklers at the club. He has also learnt to present to the footy this year and be an option.

But what I really love about him is his discipline, watch the geelong QF again, Eddy always does the right things at the right times. He gives off the first option and is strong enough to stand in a tackle and still get off a handball.

I think he is a pretty good player and deserves to be in our best 22
IIRC his last game before getting injured was very good.
IMO, he's improved immensely this year nad importantly, he plays the role our coaches ask of him.

Unfortunately I fear he's now going to cop similar flak to Zac for being seen by many on here as the reason a favourite son is not in the team.

Unlike Max last year, who obviously was past it in the eyes of the match selection panel, Bakes is seemingly a victim of no football for a long period of time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

next on SEN is the talk about our side/this weeks game

they just finished the cats/pies and are now just taking a few callers

robbos on

pmsl

Maxstar22
Club Player

As much as I love Bakes and would love to see him out there, in Ross I trust and I don't care who is out on the park as long as we win the bloody thing!!

starsign
Club Player

feel sorry for Bakes too !
But if he is stilled deemed a risk , and don't forget he didn't come straight back after serving his time cos of a foot injury ....and he hasn't played a game to see if it's still ok matchwise ...then he woulds be still deemed a liability
and you don't take such risks in a Prelim ! one bloke down and your at a big disadvantage with rotations etc

and added to that the possible ommissions to bring him in have done nothing wrong and are 100% fit to go

I like the Maxy comparisons but it's all about eliminating risk factors at the poiny end

I Like the side and we will schmit it in !!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Baker must surely play this weekend. Last minute change surely. Eddy out and Gram pushed forward.
I'm an Eddy fan mind you.
But surely Bakes will get the game.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
lefty
Club Player

I would think Baker would be ahead of Eddy, actually, I would say "deserves" to be.

If not, then Dempster will have to miss out, Dempster made too many turn over mistakes against the cats... nearly cost us the game, direct hand pass and shot on goal in the last quarter didn't please me at all.

I think its crazy not to select him... Eddy has played 1 game in the last 5 weeks or so right? So you could argue both have missed a fair bit of game time.

Disappointed Armo isn't named in the emergencies.... stupid Lockyer prick was the one who injured him during the season iirc.

saint64
Club Player

I am surprised as well that Baker hasn't made it. It must have been for reasons to do with specific match ups. Baker's situation is different to Max's last year. There was always a question mark over Max's hamstring - but no such concern re Bakes.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I for one am glad Mini is on the bench

IMO we'd lose nothing in bringing in any of Baker, Steven or Geary for Mini.

Hopefully Eddy has taken Andrew's spot on HFF freeing 1 of the above to come in

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Everitt or Hahn a late change in? I thought initially it would be Roughead, they need someone else up forward to give them another option alongside Barry?

Of course, happy if they don't... :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I for one am glad Mini is on the bench

IMO we'd lose nothing in bringing in any of Baker, Steven or Geary for Mini.

Hopefully Eddy has taken Andrew's spot on HFF freeing 1 of the above to come in
Listed positions mean nothing in the modern game. Bakes could come in for any of Mini, Eddy or Dempster

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Either that or time out of the game is not all that helpful...

Love the Baker, but I also love that sentiment plays no part at the selection table.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'