Cats Pies beat up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Cats Pies beat up

It's started! Expect to see plenty more of this as the week unfolds.

After Geelong's demoltion job on an underwhelming Freo last night the papers are full of the heavyweight bout next weekend. The Age headline "The Giant Stirs" captures the mood and the article spruiks next weekend's clash as the battle between "seeds No. 1 and 2". In many minds, the real GF happens between these two next week. The Saints have upset the AFL's dream climax with a lucky win against an opponent who wasn't switched on.

The hype is all good for us I suspect; the more the Cats get caught up in the belief that it's simply a matter of getting their game going, the more likely they'll get caught out again if they meet us in the GF.

But here are a couple of challenges to the popular hype.

Geelong didn't start badly last week. I was at the game last weekend and spent the first 10 minutes chewing my nails as Geelong came out hard and StKilda began nervously. I don't have a tape but I suspect that at the 10 min mark or so the Cats were a couple of goals up and looking good. It took a while for the grinding zone to have it's impact and half way through the quarter, it became clear that we'd worked our way in and the Cats were genuinely struggling with the fiercely contested footy and lack of space. They didn't come out sleepily; they had the game wrestled out of their grasp.

And the giant stirs? Please. One of the ABC commentators last night (Peter Schwab?) made the point in his wrap up that the Cats/Freo game had been one of the least contested games in history. I've forgotten the uncontested stats but he claimed that he'd never seen numbers like it. Let them think they've returned to playing the way they want to.

Let's hope that the 'clash of the heavyweights' continue to be beaten up as the defacto premiership and that they really do beat up on each other in a torrid contest. But I'm not convinced that the Cats are back.

Faithful Even Unto Death
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I hope they play a prelim for the ages. An epic,gladiatorial sort of stuff.

I hope it's that tight that at games end they can't be seperated. Extra time is needed,3 times

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well it is the clash of the heavy weights. The top 2 sides for most of the year and werent expected to play till the GF. The other final isnt going to written up anything like it because we are expected to win either against an underforming WB or Sydney. Dont worry there is huge pressure on us because we are expected to win and that will be mentioned in the media a bit next week.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Good post fidelis. The amount of goals that Geelong were gifted last night from lack of defensive pressure and numerous turnovers was comical.

If I was coaching against the Cats I would put a lot of work into guys like Pods, Lonergan, Milburn, Corey, Hunt and Hawkins.

Pods again showed how easy it is against sub-ordinate opposition. Hawkins has been well known to avoid body contact and I thought last night was very average. Milburn, Corey and Hunt have been known to be perennial turnover merchants and have been exposed at various stages of the season.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Good post fidelis. The amount of goals that Geelong were gifted last night from lack of defensive pressure and numerous turnovers was comical.

If I was coaching against the Cats I would put a lot of work into guys like Pods, Lonergan, Milburn, Corey, Hunt and Hawkins.

Pods again showed how easy it is against sub-ordinate opposition. Hawkins has been well known to avoid body contact and I thought last night was very average. Milburn, Corey and Hunt have been known to be perennial turnover merchants and have been exposed at various stages of the season.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.
I really hope the Cats beat the pies by a point after the siren. I really do just for your sake.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

go
away

jays
Club Player

hope its a tough game and plenty on injuries

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The entire AFL sporting world can thank us that we're at least getting rid of one painful team! :lol: :lol: There's going to be some tears next week! Geelong or the Pies.....and hopefully not ours!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Cats Freo result is irrelevant.

Everyone but the media knows what happens with the Cats when you don't pressure them....and what happens when you do.

Freo just provided training run and nothing more.

Notice how Steve "Downhill Skier" Johnson went well with no pressure on him?

He does not get that luxury against the Saints or Pies.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
noob
Club Player

hope it goes into extra time with more extra time

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cats Pies beat up

Fidelis wrote:Geelong didn't start badly last week. I was at the game last weekend and spent the first 10 minutes chewing my nails as Geelong came out hard and StKilda began nervously. I don't have a tape but I suspect that at the 10 min mark or so the Cats were a couple of goals up and looking good.
agreed. the first eight or ten minutes were all geelong and at that point it looked really worrying for us. then we started to get on top, but failed to put the score on the board. when varcoe snapped his second against the run of play from a ruck contest inside 50 at the 19 minute mark, the cats were 21 to 11 ahead. at that point i was thinking we'd wasted too many chances.

we dominated from about a ten to twelve minutes into the first until about halfway through the third. but geelong definitely didn't start badly.

Raven
Club Player

I love the fact that it's not going to be the GF that everyone predicted it would be most of the year.

The best part about their prelim is that one of them has to be knocked out of the race. The all-conquering Cats who have made the last three GFs and won two of them, how could they possibly not make the big one? But the super-duper Pies, who everyone has already awarded the flag to, how can they not make it? One of them can't!!!!! :D

I'll sit back and watch these two beat the hell out of each other with a smile on my face. No ulterior motives, no bets, no tipping to worry about, no cares in the world. It'll be great.

Then, of course, we just have to make the big one ourselves. 8-)

eppo67
Club Player

I thought sookelong were average last night did not impress me at all. Sandi VFL would have beaten Freo last night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:I thought sookelong were average last night did not impress me at all. Sandi VFL would have beaten Freo last night.
The game was over after 15 minutes. How much energy should they waste when they have a huge game next week. Dont worry Geelong are as much of a chance as the Saints and the pies. Our big advantage will hopefully be next weeks prelims.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Cats Pies beat up

Fidelis wrote:It's started! Expect to see plenty more of this as the week unfolds.

After Geelong's demoltion job on an underwhelming Freo last night the papers are full of the heavyweight bout next weekend. The Age headline "The Giant Stirs" captures the mood and the article spruiks next weekend's clash as the battle between "seeds No. 1 and 2". In many minds, the real GF happens between these two next week. The Saints have upset the AFL's dream climax with a lucky win against an opponent who wasn't switched on.

The hype is all good for us I suspect; the more the Cats get caught up in the belief that it's simply a matter of getting their game going, the more likely they'll get caught out again if they meet us in the GF.

But here are a couple of challenges to the popular hype.

Geelong didn't start badly last week. I was at the game last weekend and spent the first 10 minutes chewing my nails as Geelong came out hard and StKilda began nervously. I don't have a tape but I suspect that at the 10 min mark or so the Cats were a couple of goals up and looking good. It took a while for the grinding zone to have it's impact and half way through the quarter, it became clear that we'd worked our way in and the Cats were genuinely struggling with the fiercely contested footy and lack of space. They didn't come out sleepily; they had the game wrestled out of their grasp.

And the giant stirs? Please. One of the ABC commentators last night (Peter Schwab?) made the point in his wrap up that the Cats/Freo game had been one of the least contested games in history. I've forgotten the uncontested stats but he claimed that he'd never seen numbers like it. Let them think they've returned to playing the way they want to.

Let's hope that the 'clash of the heavyweights' continue to be beaten up as the defacto premiership and that they really do beat up on each other in a torrid contest. But I'm not convinced that the Cats are back.
Great post , funny how quickly the Saints have been forgotten. We have been there abouts all year striving to get back to the one day that matters most and we are a game away. Still the papers talk up the Pies and Cats like their unbeatable !!! I can't wait for redemption in the Grand final got a feeling whoever crosses us are in for a bad day !!!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
eppo67
Club Player

Freo had a lot of deep inside 50's in the 1st quarter the ball butchering was something to behold. Sookelong were not impressive to me. The opposition were sub AFL level last night and they still had plenty of chances.

Middo
Club Player

eppo67 wrote:Freo had a lot of deep inside 50's in the 1st quarter the ball butchering was something to behold. Sookelong were not impressive to me. The opposition were sub AFL level last night and they still had plenty of chances.
True ...everytime they kicked long to nobody .

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Freo had a lot of deep inside 50's in the 1st quarter the ball butchering was something to behold. Sookelong were not impressive to me. The opposition were sub AFL level last night and they still had plenty of chances.
Must have watched a different game as the one I watched was over very early.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:hope its a tough game and plenty on injuries
The Pies would have to make body contact for that to happen.

Dare I say it, a Pies v Swans GF would be just as epic as a Saints v Cats GF...I just don't think either Collingwoo(o)d or Sydney will make it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Given that according to the 'scribes/experts' the Premiership will be decided by the Pies/Cats Prelim, when does our pre-season commence?

And if the Cats get over the Pies next Friday, will our 'sponsor' The Age publish a 20 page liftout on the team that defeated the 'for the Premiership's a cakewalk greatest team of all time'?

If the unthinkable happens and the Pies/Cats happen to lose the 'unlosable GF' to us (if we happen to make it), will we be acknowledged as the lucky recipient of the 2010 Premiership because Pies/Cats lost?

Is there any slight risk that we would receive some small credit for actually winning?
I mean we're only in the PF because Geelong didn't turn up for the first half and then had the game stolen from their grasp by an 'iffy decision'.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Is there any slight risk that we would receive some small credit for actually winning?
I mean we're only in the PF because Geelong didn't turn up for the first half and then had the game stolen from their grasp by an 'iffy decision'.
I've said it on here a million times, when people complain about the lack of respect the Saints receive from the media, we will never get respect. A second premiership won't make a scrap of difference...there'll be some bulls*** excuse as to how it was given to us. Whilst the media is controlled by Collingwood/Carlton/Hawthorn/Essendon types, we'll always get a bad wrap.

goodie
Club Player

I just hope Geelong and Collingwood beat the snot out of each other.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:I love the fact that it's not going to be the GF that everyone predicted it would be most of the year.

The best part about their prelim is that one of them has to be knocked out of the race. The all-conquering Cats who have made the last three GFs and won two of them, how could they possibly not make the big one? But the super-duper Pies, who everyone has already awarded the flag to, how can they not make it? One of them can't!!!!! :D

I'll sit back and watch these two beat the hell out of each other with a smile on my face. No ulterior motives, no bets, no tipping to worry about, no cares in the world. It'll be great.

Then, of course, we just have to make the big one ourselves. 8-)

i love your thought pattern..... :wink: :wink: :lol: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Given that according to the 'scribes/experts' the Premiership will be decided by the Pies/Cats Prelim, when does our pre-season commence?

And if the Cats get over the Pies next Friday, will our 'sponsor' The Age publish a 20 page liftout on the team that defeated the 'for the Premiership's a cakewalk greatest team of all time'?

If the unthinkable happens and the Pies/Cats happen to lose the 'unlosable GF' to us (if we happen to make it), will we be acknowledged as the lucky recipient of the 2010 Premiership because Pies/Cats lost?

Is there any slight risk that we would receive some small credit for actually winning?
It is amazing what they actually say in the media and what people actually hear. Not once have I heard the winner of the Cats, pies game will win the GF. What I have actually heard if we are clear cut favourites to make our way to the Gf and one of the other 2 will fight it out for the other spot. People should listen to what is actually said and not what they think is said. You will all end up with sore necks.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Given that according to the 'scribes/experts' the Premiership will be decided by the Pies/Cats Prelim, when does our pre-season commence?

It is amazing what they actually say in the media and what people actually hear. Not once have I heard the winner of the Cats, pies game will win the GF. What I have actually heard if we are clear cut favourites to make our way to the Gf and one of the other 2 will fight it out for the other spot. People should listen to what is actually said and not what they think is said. You will all end up with sore necks.
you don't get around much do you albert??? :roll: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.