The Burning Pain of a Loss......with the Perks of a Win.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Burning Pain of a Loss......with the Perks of a Win.

I wonder how the final minutes of Friday's game will impact this season.

Every Saints player, in the final minute, felt the pain of losing a final that they had in their grasp.
Literally, they felt it. For a few seconds.

But a minute later, they were ushered quietly into the Prelim Final.

It's a remarkable situation really. One team wins, but gets relegated to a knock-out final - the other loses and goes to a Prelim.

(before every gets upset, I'm not suggesting we lost the game - I'm talking about the feelings of the players involved)

So I wonder how the result will pan out for us, and for Geelong for that matter.
Will we be able to harness that gut wrenching feeling the players would have had when they thought they'd lost?

If so, surely that has to be a positive for us? To be able to feel defeat, literally, but get a reprieve must surely be the greatest wake up call ever!

I guess it's like someone being released from prison. Some walk out and use the experience as a wake up call to get their shiit together.
Others get released and see their release as them 'getting away with it' and don't change their ways - they end up back in there before long.

shmic_s
Club Player

if the pain from last year wasn't still buring, then it would have reignited the fire.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:if the pain from last year wasn't still buring, then it would have reignited the fire.
Look I can't be 100% sure, but I gotta "hunch" that BJ still has a little flicker goin' :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, I thought the same... could give us an edge, in a perverse way.

The lesson should be to nail the early chances or suffer the pain.

We cant let anyone even get nearly that close again.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Hey RF, did you ever get your answer on who we are playing this weekend (we did lose didn't we?) :wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ahh..

The "After we get pumped on Friday" thread....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I was quite sure that Geelong would roll us last Friday. I thought they'd do it pretty convincingly too.

Boy was I wrong!

Had it not rained at half time, we would have won by 8 goals I reckon.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Especially being against Geelong as well it would have sent a stinging jolt through the team (as well as us fans) to think we had just lost in the final minutes of the game by a few points.

I dont doubt that the team still remembers clearly the pain of last september but anything that can spur them along even more is an advantage.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:Ahh..

The "After we get pumped on Friday" thread....
hey bigred, what happened to your avatar?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I'm sure it was a massive reminder of the GF for the players.

Would not be surprised if there was a few "ffs, not again"s in the team after Ling kicked the ball.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Burning Pain of a Loss......with the Perks of a Win.

rodgerfox wrote:

Every Saints player, in the final minute, felt the pain of losing a final that they had in their grasp.
Literally, they felt it. For a few seconds.

It should help to keep us sharp.

First obstacle is not to take it easy in our next game.

All year, apart the second Pies game, we have been up for the big games.

But games were we were clear favourites we have not been as sharp.

Any final is losable and so we need to be on the top of our game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I was quite sure that Geelong would roll us last Friday. I thought they'd do it pretty convincingly too.

Boy was I wrong!

I know, I want some more of that dry weather footy....it was amazing to watch, and yep....think if it hadn't rained, it would of continued.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

not one person , including the media, has mentioned there was a full minute to go when Ling kicked the goal! Game was far from over and lost, a minute is a eternity when its back in the middle for another go.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:not one person , including the media, has mentioned there was a full minute to go when Ling kicked the goal! Game was far from over and lost, a minute is a eternity when its back in the middle for another go.
Yep I agree ISMS, 61 seconds to be exact...you'd almost bet your house on Lenny winning the next clearance. :)

This is the team that kicked 5 goals in just over 4 minutes in Rd 6 against the Bulldogs, they do have a habit of being able to win in an impossible situation.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:not one person , including the media, has mentioned there was a full minute to go when Ling kicked the goal! Game was far from over and lost, a minute is a eternity when its back in the middle for another go.
Yep I agree ISMS, 61 seconds to be exact...you'd almost bet your house on Lenny winning the next clearance. :)

This is the team that kicked 5 goals in just over 4 minutes in Rd 6 against the Bulldogs, they do have a habit of being able to win in an impossible situation.
It was three goals K. but it was still amazing.

roxanne
Club Player

I just hope whatever got us into that position has been well and truly ironed out. Match ups, forward structures, Goddard taking Ling down into his forward line comfort zone - whatever.....I hope it's all sorted and we will never again be 33 points up at the beginning of the third quarter and looking down the barrel of a loss one minute before the end.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:I was quite sure that Geelong would roll us last Friday. I thought they'd do it pretty convincingly too.

Boy was I wrong!

Roger do you watch war or even disaster movies?

If so, you'd know that in just about every single one, at the critical moment when the sh%t is about to hit the fan, there's one character who comes out squealing and panicking with something like "we're all gonna die..we're doomed".

Quite often they're only stopped when another character intervenes with a well timed slap. The slapper is often a character who is struggling themselves but has found some inner strength and really doesn't need to hear the squealings of a frightened lamb.

How does it feel to be the frightened lamb?

For now on I'll refer to you as 'Wetpatch' - a very appropriate name for someone as spinless as yourself.

Next time you feel your pants dampening how about digging deep and trying to keep it to yourself.

There's word in the dictionary that you might want to look up; "Character".

keep on squealing Wetpatch!

Look again it's the Flash!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

It was three goals K. but it was still amazing.
5 sounded more impressive though, don't you think :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:

Boy was I wrong!

If so, you'd know that in just about every single one, at the critical moment when the sh%t is about to hit the fan, there's one character who comes out squealing and panicking with something like "we're all gonna die..we're doomed".

Quite often they're only stopped when another character intervenes with a well timed slap. The slapper is often a character who is struggling themselves but has found some inner strength and really doesn't need to hear the squealings of a frightened lamb.

For now on I'll refer to you as 'Wetpatch' - a very appropriate name for someone as spinless as yourself.

Next time you feel your pants dampening how about digging deep and trying to keep it to yourself.

Classic.

The delusion of the average footy supporter.

Do you think it's brave and gutsy to support and barrack for 22 kids playing a game that you've never met, have nothing to do with, and whom you have no influence over?

Does it show 'character' for a grown man to scream and get all excited and agro over a sport in which he has absolutely zero input into?

Fair dinkum. I chortle at your delusion.

Anyone who feels their pants dampening in any way, shape or form over a game of football that they are not playing in, has deadset issues.

Anyone who cries about the fact that other people think their prescious team may not win - is in dire need of some direction in their life.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Boy was I wrong!

Classic.

Do you think it's brave and gutsy to support and barrack for 22 kids playing a game that you've never met, have nothing to do with, and whom you have no influence over?

Does it show 'character' for a grown man to scream and get all excited and agro over a sport in which he has absolutely zero input into?

Anyone who feels their pants dampening in any way, shape or form over a game of football that they are not playing in, has deadset issues.

Anyone who cries about the fact that other people think their prescious team may not win - is in dire need of some direction in their life.
What about having cold sweats when thinking back to the missed opportunities of last years GF? :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Bomber on 3AW the other night was making excuses for his petulant behaviour at the press conference.

Something along the lines of "I've never been in that position before of having won the game and then having it taken away"

If it ends up being a Geelong Collingwood prelim, the Cats are making a late run for being the more hated team.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:

Boy was I wrong!

Classic.

Dear Wetpatch,

"chortle" all you like you pompous little cotton bud.

Many, myself included, enjoy barracking for a club - OUR club (paid up members as WE are) .

I would like to think support is beyond you (as I imagine you tilting your little lamby head trying to figure out why all the humans are getting excited) but I suspect in actuality you "support" when it suits and squeal when it gets a little hard going.

It takes character to maintain support - something you'll never get.

You got on here last week, your little lamby brain spinning with fear, bleating like you had been condemned to the abattoir - but then when they fear subsides, here you are again Mr Insight - A Saints Man through and through.

Try to spin it in whatever way you like Wetpatch, there is no doubt in my mind, or in the mind of many others - You are pathetic.

You squibbed it pure and simple - to understand try hiring THE POSIEDON ADVENTURE - or watching Josh Hunt circa 2004.

We're doomed, we're doomed, baah baah baah - Poor little Wetpatch!

:P

Look again it's the Flash!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So was I
rodgerfox wrote:Boy was I wrong!
So was I
rodgerfox wrote:Had it not rained at half time, we would have won by 8 goals I reckon.
Agreed. Dont know why everyone was happy when it rained at HT. We were killing them in the dry, negated Kosi and Roo, and their wet weather skills were shown to be superior to ours.

As for the OP. Dont know. They all seemed pretty pumped at full time.

Added would be the injustice of the whinging and the echo's of "hollow victory" in their ears.

There are proud young men in Saints jumpers. Lets see if these taunts by poor losers sting them into even greater actions.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Many, myself included, enjoy barracking for a club - OUR club (paid up members as WE are) .
It makes sense.

The timid and weak individuals who require to be part of something to feel valuable. Only safe in a group.

Sorry, but the reality is that coughing up a couple of hundreds bucks each year to buy Andrew Demetriou another ivory back scratcher isn't going to fill the void.

It takes character to maintain support - something you'll never get.
Delusion.

What do you think of the lunatics at the political speeches after the election chanting 'TONY! TONY! TONY!' up the front?

Do they have character for supporting someone something? Are they brave and tough characters for focussing all their energies on the efforts and achievements of someone else?
The Linton Street Flash wrote: You got on here last week, your little lamby brain spinning with fear, bleating like you had been condemned to the abattoir - but then when they fear subsides, here you are again Mr Insight - A Saints Man through and through.
"A Saints Man through and through"

What the hell??

I follow the footy vaguely.

Once adulthood hits, the concept of getting all excited about the achievements of other people (people 10 years my junior) is just weird - and a little sad.

The only thing sadder is people gettng all excited about the achievements of others - them coming on a forum and boasting about how much character they have for doing it!!

It's laughable. And I pity you for it. But when you grow up, I'm sure you'll realise how silly it looks.

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Try to spin it in whatever way you like Wetpatch, there is no doubt in my mind, or in the mind of many others - You are pathetic.
Hmmm, again trying to hide amongst the crowd. Gather support. Rally a posse.

Typical behaviour of someone who needs to be part of a group to feel important.
The Linton Street Flash wrote: You squibbed it pure and simple - to understand try hiring THE POSIEDON ADVENTURE - or watching Josh Hunt circa 2004.
Do you think your 'efforts' as a supporter (ie. standing in the crowd with a childs scarf around your neck, veins popping in your neck, scrwaming abuse and advice at teenagers running around the park - can be compared to Josh Hunt actually playing the game??

HAHAHAahahaha!!!

Delusion.

Do you think getting on the train and strolling over the bridge at Docklands to watch 40 guys you have nothing to do with, can be compared to going to war!!??

Hahahaahh!!!

My god.

And people wonder why I call the average footy supporter a moron.

This is surely enough to rest my case.

The Linton Street Flash wrote: We're doomed, we're doomed, baah baah baah - Poor little Wetpatch!

:P
Who's doomed?

Do you see a football team losing, a team of paid professionals, running around a park kicking a ball, as 'doom'??

The only thing more sad (and even a little disturbing) than this bizarre belief you have about supporting someone else's achievements and efforts as being some sort of badge of honour to be proud of - is how upset you get about someone you've never met, and know nothing about, posting opinions on an internet forum!

It's laughable.

I'd suggest you may need to consider a hobby. A hobby whereas you are responsible for the outcome - not others.

Something that may make you proud of your achievements - not those of teenagers to whom you don't know.

It reminds of that Simpsons episode, where Homer find the crayons in his brain. when he removes them he becomes intelligent - but decides to put them back in.
When Moe is hammering them, the deeper the crayon goes, the more idiotic Homer becomes.
The final test of his stupidity comes when the crayon goes in deep and he starts chanting 'De-Fence! De-Fence!!'

The sporting fan, who goes to the lengths paint their face, and scream at strangers, and take pride in the achievements of these strangers is really sad.

Let me ask you this....

When the Saints win, and some lunatic has the stupidity to say 'congratulations' to you (it happens!), do you thank them and actually feel like you've done something?

Simply put, what you've posted in this thread is a perfect example of someone with no self-esteem. Someone who can't achieve the heights they desire on their own - so instead looks to latch on to others!

You poor man.

Here's a little exert you may want to read in between gazing at the posters of you heroes on your bedroom wall.....

"Sports allow fans to escape their normal daily life, as well as social inhibitions and express themselves freely by cheering from their teams/athletes, as well as lashing out at rivals.

One theory traces the roots of fan psychology to a primitive time when human beings lived in small tribes, and warriors fighting to protect tribes were true genetic representatives of their people, psychologists claim.

In a modern society, athletes play a similar role for a city in the stylized war on a playing field—as the theory goes. The athlete’s exploits helps reconnect the fans with those intense emotions that tribal warfare did for their ancestors, which the modern society codes and conduct doesn’t allow them.
"

You sir, are a loser. Officially a loser. Someone trying to escape reality by attempting to kid themselves they are a part of something.

Sorry to break it you kid - you're not.

If the Saints win anything, you had nothing to do with it. Sure, be happy, watching the footy can be fun - but your 'character' in supporting these guys' achievements had nothing to do with it.

And also, if they don't win anything, it's not 'doom'. It's simply that 22 guys playing a game against another 22 guys were beaten at that particular sport.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't kid yourself you fu**wit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You write a lot for a person vaguely interested in footy. Admit you like the game but just want the Saints to lose so you can get on here and whinge about anything and everything to do with the club.