Mini

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Are we talking about the same person who dropped everything he touched in the second half and was chasing everyone around. Usual crap game I thought.
tend to agree....i would replace him with david for the prelim.... :wink: :lol: said so this morning to my eldest...way before i saw your post too...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
DWOODROW
Club Player

Moods wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Moods wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I was at the game and I thought he made some critical mistakes.

I also notice he missed some tackles that he would have made in the past.

I still hope he will regain his 2009 form.
No offence but hasn't everyone been waiting, and we have been waiting for it since the start of the year?
Yeah well, no offence but your clearly biased and your only interest in this club is your brother. Considering he got dropped for this game, not sure your comments on fringe players should be taken as anything more than a grain of salt.
good input. Clearly your open mind is going to get you along way. In, my previous post I said I don't care who comes in as long as mini goes out or starts performing. His game last night was ordinary.
If I had little interest in this club and am clearly biased then why am I not calling for Eddie's head also. I watched the game last night with every other Saints supporter and was wanting the same outcome. I don't see how you can tell what my intersest are but for as long as David has been at Saint Kilda I have been barracking for them.
It is ok for everyone else to have an opinion and you have yours but saying I have little interest in this club is clearly ignorant.
Considering David was dropped for this game along with Baker and Geary must be something called structure. Or that's what everyone keeps telling me.
My comments are based on a post you made near the start of the season when your bro was under pressure and being critisized on here. You admitted you had little interest in the saints apart from your brother and you also admitted that you follow Nth Melbourne. You also admitted your frustrations with saints supporters and the way your brother gets treated.

The fact that Armo got dropped imo has more to do with him than structure or any other player. He simply does not work hard enough when the ball isn't in his area. When it is in his area he is fantastic. Mini made errors last night but his owrk rate was fantastic and he was comstantly involved in the play. Eddy is in the team for the pressure/workrate that he applies. He just keeps running. He may well lose his spot yet, but what won us the game last night was 22 players applying constant pressure.
at that time I probably did have little interest, it was the start of the year. As for davids game, only he and Ross know why he isn't played. I gave up trying to figure that out a fair while ago. He has been out of the team most of the year so nothing really new about his workrate and winning the ball...... all of the above.
My point here is I am not talking about David moods. I am talking about mini playing the same way each week and not getting much out of him. Obviously the coaches see it differently but some on here it the same way I do. Now some people se it the way you do about David as well and yippee for you. I understand that but mini from what I have seen hasn't been performing.
Now saying that you said you thought his work rate off the ball was good so if you wnet to the game you would know more than me.
from here in Townsville watching it on the Plasma he dropped everything he touched in the second half and made stupid decisions.
As for North Melbourne.............. Go Saints

StPeter
Club Player

I am still to be convinced that Mini and Eddy are worth their places in the team. Mini made several clangers last night resulting in costly turnovers.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mini is a passenger and has been all season

did maybe 4 good things last night, his opponent cut us to pieces and then he had a heap of mistakes too

PLEASE ROSS PLEASE DON'T LEAVE OUT A PLAYER LIKE ARMO, GEARY, BAKER OR STEVEN FOR A GUY THAT WE CAN ALL GUARANTEE WILL DO NOTHING

PLEASE!!!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

He was NO different to how he's been most of the year. Statline, 14 disposals, bang on average. 5 contested 9 uncontested, bang on average. 5 tackles, 1 above average. 64% eff, 12 below average. 2 assists, 1 above average.

A couple of score involvements and 5 tackles is a pass from your pressure forward. It's nothing to write home about.

The biggest surprise to me is that anyone is thinking differently about his performance than they have after other games.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Legendary
Club Player

Thought he was very good, particularly in the first half.

Fundamentally important to our structure, and his role is one that takes some practice and "smarts" with running and positioning.

He's played that role in a side which is winning at 70%+ over the last 2 years. He does it well.

Has had a quieter year, but much of that was to do with the change in structure and approach when Rooey was injured.

His forward pressure was good on Friday, and he was involved in 3-4 goals.

No way in the world he will be dropped.

Move on.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:The biggest surprise to me is that anyone is thinking differently about his performance than they have after other games.
agreed. maybe he did a couple more prominent things? that said, i don't remember either of his assists, and usually i can remember at least one little pass to roo.

Kilda
Club Player

It seems that Mini really polarises Saints' supporters. For the record, I'm with DWOODWARD on this one...he tends to be indecisive and makes too many unforced errors (eg kicking into the man on the mark; mark spillages and inaccuracy in front of goal).

Kilda
Club Player

errr...that should be "I'm with DWOODROW"

DWOODROW
Club Player

Kilda wrote:It seems that Mini really polarises Saints' supporters. For the record, I'm with DWOODWARD on this one...he tends to be indecisive and makes too many unforced errors (eg kicking into the man on the mark; mark spillages and inaccuracy in front of goal).
Are you talking about me or Mini. :lol:
Either way you wouldn't be far off

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay on Fox this morning. I'm staggered that ppl are bagging him. Was crucial I reckon in the 1st quarter, in fact the first half when we were playing well. That tackle on Varcoe was superb that set up Milne which ended up a goal in the last.

For the record he also set Kosi up in the 1st quarter with a very skilfull kick from congestion which resulted in his only goal. He also set BJ up for his goal. He also inadvertently set our first goal up by his kick richoting off the man on the mark, was kicked down field and Gardiner ran onto it. Technically that's 4 goals he was involved in. He also did some good handpasses out of packs/congestion and laid some great tackles.

Yes he had a couple of kicks smothered, but like I have said many times before - he was involved. That's what we want

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Just watched the replay on Fox this morning. I'm staggered that ppl are bagging him. Was crucial I reckon in the 1st quarter, in fact the first half when we were playing well. That tackle on Varcoe was superb that set up Milne which ended up a goal in the last.

For the record he also set Kosi up in the 1st quarter with a very skilfull kick from congestion which resulted in his only goal. He also set BJ up for his goal. He also inadvertently set our first goal up by his kick richoting off the man on the mark, was kicked down field and Gardiner ran onto it. Technically that's 4 goals he was involved in. He also did some good handpasses out of packs/congestion and laid some great tackles.

Yes he had a couple of kicks smothered, but like I have said many times before - he was involved. That's what we want
Very generous I would suggest, a smothered kick becomes an assist....

JohnE
Club Player

For ages on here, not so long ago, there was similar heated debate about Raph Clarke and some were talking about how good he was & could be & give him a chance, etc, based on one finals match a couple of years ago. So cut Mini some slack FFS.

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
lefty
Club Player

I thought Dempster made a lot of mistakes.

That handball in the last quarter straight to a geelong player to shot on goal was crap, there were similar incidences throughout the game which made me angry at Dempster.

That said, Mini kicking into the man on the mark, should simply not happen and is not acceptable. To do it twice, is poor effort, form, and a wasted opportunity.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would think mini would stay in the team after that game. But he should be nervous as Armo and Steven could play his role both are handy kicks on goal, but frontal pressure probably not as good. Would think the other danger spots are Eddy and Dempster. Dempster is stable but not exceptional, a conservative pick, but Eddy and Geary are able to have the odd stand out game. Geary adds a bit of manic attack on the ball and Eddy is adaptable in the same way as Dempster. I think Baker might get a game over Dempster.

It would be nice to play a few guys like Armo, Steven etc. just to keep them hungry for the next couple of years. Hope they all stay because they are all capable players.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:IIt would be nice to play a few guys like Armo, Steven etc. just to keep them hungry for the next couple of years. Hope they all stay because they are all capable players.

If they deserve a spot they get it if not in the nest team there is no way they should get a game we can't play games we have to win.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Moods wrote:Just watched the replay on Fox this morning. I'm staggered that ppl are bagging him. Was crucial I reckon in the 1st quarter, in fact the first half when we were playing well. That tackle on Varcoe was superb that set up Milne which ended up a goal in the last.

Very generous I would suggest, a smothered kick becomes an assist....
generous or not (and yes it is generous) it a) still resulted in a goal and b) meant that mini was involved in the game from the outset.

Look not saying that mini was our best player, but he did some good things, and for mine was better than Ray, Gram, Blake (who I hardly saw) and Eddy just off the top of my head.

He needs to eradicate the mistakes, but when he acts instinctively and applies that pressure he is valuable.

A fwd is entitled to make a few errors I reckon as he's trying to create something. This often requires greater risk. A backman doesn't have that luxury as he's repelling attacks.

Mini at the start of the year appeared slow, and was getting about 8-9 possessions a game and not laying tackles. Compared to 14 possessions and 1/2 dozen tackles with a few score assists from the hardest position on the ground in a final. I'll take that every time.

saint-stu
Club Player

Just watched the replay on Fox this morning. I'm staggered that ppl are bagging him.
When I was at the game, I only noticed his mistakes and wasn't happy.

But after watching the replay the other day, I have to agree with Moods. He did more good things than bad and should keep his spot.

1ac46a38
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Just watched the replay on Fox this morning. I'm staggered that ppl are bagging him.

But after watching the replay the other day, I have to agree with Moods. He did more good things than bad and should keep his spot.
That was exactly my experience. On the night I was furious about his kicking into the man on the mark, missed handballs etc. But on watching the replay it was apparent that he also did a fair few good things.

With that in mind, I don't have a problem if he holds his spot.

But having said that, I also won't be upset if Ross decides to try one of the other options available to us.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saint-stu wrote:

That was exactly my experience. On the night I was furious about his kicking into the man on the mark, missed handballs etc. But on watching the replay it was apparent that he also did a fair few good things.

With that in mind, I don't have a problem if he holds his spot.

But having said that, I also won't be upset if Ross decides to try one of the other options available to us.

The thing about Mini though is that he made some very bad mistakes under bugga all pressure like kicking into the man....and too many of them.

If he did make as many of them his overall game would be rated much better.

But in AFL toda turnovers kill..and Mini needs to sharpen up here.

Luckilly his kicking into the man resulted in a goal to Gardi...but it could easily have rebounded to Cat and then generated a goal...

The result of this may have been the Cats storming away with the game, rather than the saints getting into the game.

Now all players make mistakes, and as with Raph perhaps we are focusing too much on his mistakes.

However the 2009 Mini made less mistakes and kicked more goals.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 08 Sep 2010 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
FQF
SS Life Member

At the end of the day, whichever way we go in terms of Mini's spots, will IMO have a minimum impact on the game.
Whoever it is is unlikely to step up and have a match winning performance. I think they will all be serviceable, to some varying degrees.

Not such a big deal.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

True..though Steven did snag those 3 goals in a match-winning perforrmance.:wink:

I am not expected Ross to drop him though. Ross will keep him for his defensive game.....and the reality is with our better tacklers like Mini, CJ and Eddy back in the team, that we have been playing better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....