Changes for Preliminary Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote: I heard BBB is in a bit of strife.
Who knows. That might actually help the Dogs find a bit of form.

Anyway, who we play is out of our control. What we can have some control over is how mentally and physically ready we are for the preliminary.

I aggree, we will beat both the Dogs and Swans if we are prepared and switched on from the start.

I love this club
spert
Saintsational Legend

Eddy will stay, he has a bigger engine than Geary. Dempster will stay in the team..like to see Steven in place of Mini who is not winning the hard ball.

vantheman
Club Player

spert wrote:Eddy will stay, he has a bigger engine than Geary. Dempster will stay in the team..like to see Steven in place of Mini who is not winning the hard ball.
I am really gobsmacked that posters on this board are calling for Mini to be dropped - his contribution last Friday night was invaluable.
Great forward pressure, score assists etc
The 1%'s, by many of the players - Mini included- seem to be totally overlooked by a lot of spectators.
It is the sum total of these selfless acts that really make the team what it is!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Don't touch the forward line.

Pressure was the best it's been since round 4.

Dempster/Baker/Geary is the only place I see a possible change. Baker probably the best player of the 3, but without match conditioning. Dempster has the height, and some versatility in the roles he can play, Geary the most likely to offer something with the ball.

Horses for courses.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You would think no change.

For mine Mini defensively was good...but offensively had some real "rabbit in the headlights" moments.

However:

* Geary is no better in not making clangers, or in "icing" goals.
* Steven excites but is inconsistent over 4 quarters. Plus with Milne and Schneider you already have two attacking smalls.

Baker may be tempting but has now not played a competitive match in a long-time. Dempster's game on SJ was good.

Outstanding competivce spirit, but can we take the risk? Even Roo when he returned was rusty and took a few games to get going.

Eddy v Geary

IMO Eddy at this stage gets the nod.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Baker must play in the Prelim.

He needs the run, because if we earn another game after the prelim, he is one of the first guys you pick. He was very good for the Saints last September, we need him in the best shape possible. That means having played at least 1 competitive match.

Eddy or Dempster are the obvious ones to leave out, but i think both played well on Friday.

Unlike Max last year, which was purely an emotional decision, i still think Baker is in our best 22.

I certainly don't envy the selection panel.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Baker must play in the Prelim.

He needs the run, because if we earn another game after the prelim, he is one of the first guys you pick. He was very good for the Saints last September, we need him in the best shape possible. That means having played at least 1 competitive match.

Eddy or Dempster are the obvious ones to leave out, but i think both played well on Friday.

Unlike Max last year, which was purely an emotional decision, i still think Baker is in our best 22.

If Bakes plays in the prelim he will be to sore for the GF. The old second game back from the spell theory. He has one game left in him this year if they want to risk him. I dont think he will play again this year but if he does I would leave it till the GF. He can be as sore as he likes after that game.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

To me it is all about 3 players and one position.
Dempster, Geary and Baker.
Personally I would prefer Baker however not playing for 10 weeks is a big negative.
The rest of the team Should stay the same.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If Bakes plays in the prelim he will be to sore for the GF. The old second game back from the spell theory. He has one game left in him this year if they want to risk him. I dont think he will play again this year but if he does I would leave it till the GF. He can be as sore as he likes after that game.
Why would you think soreness would stop him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Because it stops everyone.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Because it stops everyone.
Yes, that's one theory, but....

The "soreness" can be managed through the week and I feel it's more important to give him some game time in the prelim before the big one

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Finna
Club Player

No change unless we have players that can't come up.

And then it would have to be like for like.

As much I love Bakes it's too risky to play a player who hasn't played for 11 weeks. Unfortunately the MRP has got it's wish.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Kilda
Club Player

I am surprised that so many Saints fans thought Mc Qualter was good on Friday night. I personally think he is the luckiest player in the side. He is often indecisive, misses crucial set shots and makes too many unforced errors (eg. kicking into the man on the mark, mark spillages).

I would replace him with Geary or even as a wild card, Rhys Stanley or Jack Steven - both are skillful, quick, athletic although conceded with Stanley it may make the forward line too top heavy.