Shallow versus Deep Entry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Shallow versus Deep Entry

Im talking delivery into the forward line. There are time we get possesion via a mark, and are about 60-70m from goal on the half forward line.

When we are on the break after quickly obtaining possesion from a turn over, this next disposal is generally a wheel and go long kick to the fat side, to one of the twin towers.

If they play is held up, and numbers flood back into our forward line, it's pretty clear that the players first attempt (coached into them) is to spot up a leading target, if this option is not there, we kick laterally along the half forward line and then either re-try this option, or get it to BJ for example to kick it. The downside to this is when we muck this kick up and it gets picked off, we turn it over at half forward.

I know we have come on leaps and bounds from the kicking it long to the 'hot spot'. Though in some circumstances I feel this is the best options and we don't go for it. Sometime's putting it to the top of the square and letting Roo/Kosi fly for it or bring it to ground and creating a contest and opportunity would be better than potentially turning it over at half forward (as mentioned above). Meanwhile we can set up around the 50m arc and keep it in, much like Geelong did to us.

This puts defences under MASSIVE pressure, of course this goes against the gameplan of retaining possesion.

Thoughts? Is my suggestion really an option that has been left in the past? I just get frustrated seeing us loose possesion across half forward and think, if we are going to turn it over, why not do it 10m infront of goal instead of 60m without a zone set up.

At the end of the day, Ross knows what's best though.

Carpe Diem
noob
Club Player

thats why collingwood get big scores because they don't muck around with it just go direct to the hot spot. I think we like to be precise and perfect.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

no use kicking it to the "hotspot" when there are 3 players versus one because it will come straight back out.

It's a judgement call at the time whens it's one on one go the long kick, otherwise don't waste the posession.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:no use kicking it to the "hotspot" when there are 3 players versus one because it will come straight back out.

It's a judgement call at the time whens it's one on one go the long kick, otherwise don't waste the posession.
What if teams have flooded into our 50, so in theory it's even numbered?

Carpe Diem