Players with most improvement in the bank?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

Players with most improvement in the bank?

Not as a negative, as I felt every player contributed well and there weren't any 'bad' players on the pitch, but some contributed less than others. Our top five doesn't say a lot because they are so widely varying; I feel that this is a more constructive way of finding avenues for improvement.

- Gardiner
Fair enough, dislocated the elbow. Was still getting hitouts most of the night with one arm but didn't see him much around the ground apart from the first goal of the match - Big Mac was more serviceable in this regard. Hopefully all elbow worries clear up for the break cause he can be a real X-factor around the ground and an extra big forward target.

- Dawson
Played a serviceable game with some nice kicks up forward but got caught out at times defensively against Mooney, conceding three for the night (from memory, feel free to correct me). Has been a real issue for him and hopefully with some extra work with SOS on the break he'll come out firing for the prelim :twisted:

- Kosi
Great first quarter. Excellent. Was reeled in very quickly after that by Scarlett and the rain, but was still working hard. Poor circumstances but we now all know he can deliver a massive contribution to the scoreline and the team, just needs to do it for four quarters!

- Gram
Didn't get a lot of the ball and is very damaging when he does get it. If he is on song he is a potential Norm Smith medal player, as we saw from last years GF. Firing an absolute gun, hope to see lots of breaking the lines from him come prelim.

- McQualter
Was much better last night, almost back to 2009 form. Was serviceable, however had a few clangers which he'll be keen to make up for. Disposal was not the best either, but he is getting back into that defensive forward role and when 100% in form will be a fantastic extra option going forward. If he is putting on the pressure our forward structure suddenly looks a lot better and we can start scoring goals regularly from forward pressure when he is going.

- Ray
Has a lot to give when he is getting the ball, but he didn't get enough last night to show off his talent. Solid half-back player who can get clean disposal for our link up play between half-back and midfield. Shows great decision making skills and has a nice punch of speed to him. As a part of the 'middle order' of the team in terms of skill, when he's firing our team as a whole looks very good. Performed well in 2009 finals series so can be an absolute wildcard if he lives up to his potential.

gurubob101
Club Player

Blakey was pretty quiet... not to say that he didn't do his job... just that he often takes a few steadying marks or makes position for an outlet pass but he was hardly sighted all night.

Gilbo also looks half a notch below his very best. A bit down on confidence with his kicking and not taking on the tacklers quite a much as he does when at his best. Some nice runs and a couple of big grabs but a smidgin off his peak.

Mini was good this week... as he was against these squealers the last time we played them... but he's still not kicking goals. He seems reluctant to take responsibility for kicking for goal himself at the moment.

We are missing Raphs run and Bakes to cover the small forwards but things just taken a nice turn for the better. This win may be the break we've been looking for. Go sainters.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe no one mentioned Schneider. He can lift another two gears on that effort.

Perhaps he's still carrying an injury from the Richmond game :(

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saint3d
Club Player

I wonder how much the injury affected Gardiner's performance, and how much influence he might have had otherwise.

Dawson I thought was quite good. A lot of people expect a full back to completely shut a full forward out of the game, but those types of full backs come along once in a generation. I look for a full back to minimise the effectiveness of the full forward, by at least not conceding easy shots on goal. Of the goals Dawson conceded one was from deep in the pocket and another from 50m. Besides that his attack on the ball and disposal were also good.

Winmar
Club Player

The one with the most room for improvement is Schneider. He was anonymous for most of the game. Kosi could also extend his first quarter effort to at least 2 or 3!

saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

Agree that Schneider has a lot more to offer. He has A-Grade skill with B-Grade consistency, so hopefully he has an A game come prelim.

Also agree that Dawson had a solid game. Just think that he was caught out at times, which is fair enough since he has missed a fair chunk of game time.

Furphy
Club Player

i think Brett Peake has been a real find this year, he keeps getting better.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Mini is the one for me. I'm excited that he was really getting himself involved. His decision making isn't as good as last year, which is a definite confidence issue. Kicking into the man on the mark a few times means he was indecisive. THis can be cleared up. If he wasn't finding the ball or involved in the play I would be really worried.

Dawson was great as far as I'm concerned.

Kosi has shown he can do it, and I suspect that game was hopefully a massive confidence boost for him.

Gram is the one that we really need to lift. Was surprisingly quiet.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Peake was terrific. Gave us that run we've been missing.

Dawson played as well as at any time last season. We expected less of him then.

I thought Mini was really poor but I concede that I probably missed a lot of his good work, and just noticed the clangers. Came away from the game feeling that he'd just blown his last chance, but I'm very happy to stand corrected.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Gram, by a country mile.

Only had 1 contested possession, just was not clean by hand. On the upside, he had 6 tackles, by far his season high, which says the effort is there. Confidant he'll turn the corner.

Second in line would be Schneider.

Cats had clearly done their homework after he slaughtered them in R13 and made sure to close him down and limit his effectiveness. 55% effectiveness is an equal season low (Essendon being the other) for him, he's generally a great user, 76% avg as a forward/mid, and tied for 2nd in the league in assists with Varcoe behind Betts.

Other guys might give 1 or 2% more, but barring a big night out, those are the guys I'd actually expect to see more from.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm just gonna throw Goddard out there.....

He was as good as anyone on the park in the first half. I rate him almost as important to our side at Rooey, and he's had a superb year.

But when Ling went to him, he was poor. Just like Dal before him, he needs to learn how to have an impact on the contest even if he has a direct opponent paying him close attention.

Allowing Ling to get shots on goal was particularly bad, and Goddard couldn't get near it when he went forward late in the 3rd term.

This may prove a real wildcard if we meet the Cats again this year, and the way Goddard handles himself second time around might be the difference between adding to our trophy cabinet, or adding to our broken spirits....