Serious Question for Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If you duck your head into a tackle you still need to not be tackled around the neck. If you duck your head and someone hits you in the head with an arm it is a free for to high.
magic's got a point. we've all heard on the telecast the player say "but he hit me high" and the umpire reply "sorry mate, you ducked your head". what you're saying here suggests that they're wrong in that situation, am i interpreting it correctly?
They usually duck there head when about to be tackled front on. If the tackler manges to still grab the jumper but the guys head hits the other players body then the umpire will say that you ducked your head and caused contact. The hands still have to be away from the players neck. In other words in needs to be legal tackle.

JABBER
Club Player

seroius questions about umpires

Very good Question

Every umpire sees it differently Now if Selwood gets tackled correctly and tries to break the tackle by raising his arms its holding the ball because his arms are free and had a proir

But if the tackle is in correct that the arms goes over the shoulder it a free kick for high tackle.

Mark Fine on SEN said that Paul Chapman used do this a lot and the umpires woke up to him and now he is stop doing it

other clubs has pointed out Selwood tactics in the past so i hope the umpires are aware of it

trevor barker
wallbanger
Club Player

"By the way it is also a free if a player is hit in the head even accidently, by the arm or hand, in a marking contest"......really?

Perhaps we should ask Darren Jolly if he agrees with that....not sure I saw his free kick last weekend.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wallbanger wrote:"By the way it is also a free if a player is hit in the head even accidently, by the arm or hand, in a marking contest"......really?

Perhaps we should ask Darren Jolly if he agrees with that....not sure I saw his free kick last weekend.
I take it you think the umpires have never made a mistake during a game? I rate umpires but obviously not as highly as you.

yipper
SS Life Member

What Selwood does is actually quite unique. He needs to be very strong in the upper body and in the shoulders. A tackler needs to also be very good and have strong upper body strength. I believe it is a difficult one to umpire as like I said - only the exceptional few can perform this action. Selwood is very good at it. Taken in isolation, I believe Selwood initiates the action so it is not free kick for a high tackle. However, the way he carries it out is just a little to difficult for umpires to accurately interpret.

We just need to get low in the tackle, hit him hard and grab his arms maybe??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint3d
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If you duck your head into a tackle you still need to not be tackled around the neck. If you duck your head and someone hits you in the head with an arm it is a free for to high.
magic's got a point. we've all heard on the telecast the player say "but he hit me high" and the umpire reply "sorry mate, you ducked your head". what you're saying here suggests that they're wrong in that situation, am i interpreting it correctly?
I'm also interested in this. So far the explanations would suggest that for an umpire to say 'you ducked your head' is completely redundant.