Team changes for Week 1 final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:We cannot win a premiership with Dawson at full back.
So we beat the Cats on Friday with him and then pick someone else thereafter?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Any threads left where you haven't potted Zac?

Miserable fart. :roll: :lol:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Why are we dropping Mini this week? I thought his tackling and pressuring was solid and he made good decisions with the ball.

I would think that Baker, Milne and Schneider will come back in. Miles will probably go out and then take your pick out of Armo, Dempster and Geary - probably the first two. I doubt McQualter gets dropped.
Bloody McQualter was useless. He's always chasing someone's butt. How about winning his own ball and slotting a goal or two. I'm sick of his uselessness!

Another opportunity awaits!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thats a big call.

I dont think Zac Dawson hurt our chances last year at winning a flag.....

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Thats a big call.

I dont think Zac Dawson hurt our chances last year at winning a flag.....
Did we win? No, and Zac was half decent last year. Everyone knows now that if you get him one on one he is useless.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I'd make a case to keep Miles in. Geelong has a strong collection of small forwards at their disposal in Byrnes, Stokes, Varcoe and obviously Steve Johnson. Add to that Chapman and Ablett who like to spend some time deep in the forward line.

Who do we have to cover that brigade?
FB: Baker - Dawson - Gwilt
HB: Gilbert - Blake - Fisher

That defence would be run off its feet. So assume Baker matches up Johnson, Dawson and Blake to Mooney and Hawkins, Gwilt perhaps on Stokes, and then Fisher and Gilbert rotating between spare man and on say Chapman. That leaves arguably the two quicker forwards in Varcoe and Byrnes.

Geary maybe? That leaves one more, enter Luke Miles.

Changes:
In: Steven Baker, Adam Schneider, Stephen Milne
Out: David Armitage, Sean Dempster, Andrew McQualter

I do feel uneasy dropping the two players who made the most tackles today however. Glad I'm not making the decision.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

May well be wet....and that may affect selection.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

geez i like gears but bloody hell he got toweled by stiffy up till he went off with that foot injury

baker milne schneides and steven in
christ knows who goes out
dempster miles gears and prop armo im guessing
somehow mini will stay in the side
he must be doing something right im not seeing

quidnunc
Club Player

In my opinion both Mini and Geary are very nervous shooting for goal and often miss or look for another option. Armitage however, has the confidence to go back and have a shot.

I believe the three have reasonable credentials for inclusion but for me, Armo wins because of his confidence near goal.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some people make me laugh. Some had 5 to 6 changes. No way. Milne, Schneider and maybe Baker will be the only changes and the outs baring injury will be the guys that dont deserve a game and they are Armo, Miles and Dempster. They arent going to play Steven now or Eddy I would think.

ThePunter
Club Player

Armo wins because he relishes making physical contact with an opponent. No one looks like as desperate to tackle someone as Armo. That's why I haven't got him out yet.

Dawson would have been one of our best five players yesterday, in so much as he looked like he was making an effort.

Baker Dawson Gwilt
S Fisher Blake Gilbert
Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
Ray Riewoldt Gram
Schneider Koschitzke Milne
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Peake

And that's as far as I get. The other spots could be taken by

Geary & Dempster struggled against Adelaide, but were clearly played out of position. Both have credits from the Round 13 game, but both need to be played closer to defence (especially Dempster).

Armitage gives us another contested footy winner, but like Ball before him, probably doesn't cover enough ground or win enough footy. He does, however, lay a mean tackle and like a goal.

Miles has done little wrong in his first two AFL games, has speed over almost all of our other small defender options, and attacks the footy hard. But he has only played two games.

McQualter's tackling was superb yesterday, but Eddy was playing well both times he got hurt, and tends to cover more ground than Mini. Clearly only one can play at the same time.

Geelong clearly have a problem with small forwards, and Steven has the big-game-performer gene. Nearly debuted in a final, and relishes the big stage. Also has a proven, albeit short, record against Geelong.

I'd be leaning towards two of Armo, Miles and Mini/Eddy, but wouldn't be unhappy with Steven.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Some people make me laugh. Some had 5 to 6 changes. No way. Milne, Schneider and maybe Baker will be the only changes and the outs baring injury will be the guys that dont deserve a game and they are Armo, Miles and Dempster. They arent going to play Steven now or Eddy I would think.
Probably right on what will happen. The question is "what should happen"?

Or aren't you prepared to tell us what you think?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Some people make me laugh. Some had 5 to 6 changes. No way. Milne, Schneider and maybe Baker will be the only changes and the outs baring injury will be the guys that dont deserve a game and they are Armo, Miles and Dempster. They arent going to play Steven now or Eddy I would think.

What should happen is what will happen IMO. Forget yesterday, it meant nothing so did you want 5 changes before yesterdays game? I doubt it. Actually I do have another out. Fisher obviously wil not play so Dempster gets another chance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What should happen is what will happen IMO. Forget yesterday, it meant nothing so did you want 5 changes before yesterdays game? I doubt it.
I disagree that yesterday meant nothing. It was an insipid effort by a team that should be taking winning form into the finals.

I sincerely hope you are right and we can just turn it on like a tap when it counts ... and that includes kicking a winning score.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We cannot win a premiership with Dawson at full back.

Walsh has played a few games at FB has'nt he?

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Very difficult decisions to be made.

In: Milne, Schneider, Baker

Out: Miles, Dempster, McQualter

Baker Dawson Gwilt
S Fisher Blake Gilbert
Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
Ray Riewoldt Gram
Schneider Koschitzke Milne
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Peake Geary Armitage

I like Miles but experience is necessary in finals. I think he might be out but at least he has been blooded to cover an injury.

Dempster wasn't too bad yesterday but the personnel coming in make way for him.

McQ is just not giving enough and has been very inconsistent.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The INS are obvious IMO...I agree it will be unlikely Steven or Eddy will make it in unless Schneider, Milne &/or Baker don't come up.

I think Geary, Dempster and McQualter may be unlucky

I like Miles as he has pace, a good leap and is desperate to get to contests to spoil marks & tackle, just needs to keep his feet more (That goes for Zac as well). Disagree about lack of final's experience, everyone who has final's experience has had to play their first final at some stage.

Armo is a goal kicker, loves the hard stuff and will be asked to be in and under to stop the Cats getting first hands on the pill.

Dempster will get a reprieve if Fisher does not come up.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

FB. Geary : Dawson : Blake
HB. Gilbert : Fisher : Gram
C. Goddard : Jones : Montagna
HF. Peake : Koschitzke: Ray
FF. Milne : Riewoldt : Schneider
Ruck. Gardiner : Dal Santo : Hayes
IC. Armitage : Gwilt : McEvoy : Eddy

In - Schneider, Milne, Eddy
Out - Miles, McQualter, Dempster,

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What should happen is what will happen IMO. Forget yesterday, it meant nothing so did you want 5 changes before yesterdays game? I doubt it. Actually I do have another out. Fisher obviously wil not play so Dempster gets another chance.
Fisher is obviously not playing?

And Dempster is definitely the replacement if this is the case?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Well Fisher has a hamstring so i dont see how he can play. IOM Dempster will keep his spot.

saintkid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Well Fisher has a hamstring so i dont see how he can play. IOM Dempster will keep his spot.
But the "talk" is his hammy is just bruised/corked so he should be alright going by that. :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

But the "talk" is his hammy is just bruised/corked so he should be alright going by that. :)
I hope you are right but for some reason i take no notice of what our club says about injuries.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: I hope you are right but for some reason i take no notice of what our club says about injuries.
You could also choose to subscribe to the theory that the whole injury is a ploy to confuse Bomber.

BallBanger
Club Player

Wouldn't our key forwards love to line up on zac and blake...i'm sure the opposition key forwards rub their hands together..Unless we flood back hard not to expose our key backs we have no chance..then we don't score making it hard fought shittfull game

We are about 6 players short and we have to try and not expose them..

Drafting and developement not working

Don't give me "we've had no top draft picks" response.

Who are a first and second round picks since goddard

We are slow and should have developed smith, now stuck with mcqualter/armitage/eddy all not up to good AFL standard

We also should have developed Simkin but are now stuck with Zac whose opponenets don't have to play well..zac loses himself

Very hard to carry so many players that would not get regular games with bottom sides.

FQF
SS Life Member

BallBanger wrote:Wouldn't our key forwards love to line up on zac and blake...i'm sure the opposition key forwards rub their hands together..Unless we flood back hard not to expose our key backs we have no chance..then we don't score making it hard fought shittfull game

We are about 6 players short and we have to try and not expose them..

Drafting and developement not working

Don't give me "we've had no top draft picks" response.

Who are a first and second round picks since goddard

We are slow and should have developed smith, now stuck with mcqualter/armitage/eddy all not up to good AFL standard

We also should have developed Simkin but are now stuck with Zac whose opponenets don't have to play well..zac loses himself

Very hard to carry so many players that would not get regular games with bottom sides.
So we finish third, with the best player in the comp out for most of the season, and we are 6 players short?

1. Which Smith are you talking about? Jesse Smith was being developed and reinjured himself.

Alistair Smith is being developed.

2. All three of McQualter, Eddy and Armitage are capable of AFL standard, and have proven it on many occasions.

3. Simpkin is not a key position backman and can not replace Zac unless he grows another 5 centimetres.