Saints backed off - Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Saints backed off - Lyon

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

blimey i hope so....
i really do

go saints

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dumb Footy. We're so s***. Raph's fault. Kick it long. Kosi's a dud. No depth. Do something, Fiora!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:Dumb Footy. We're so s***. Raph's fault. Kick it long. Kosi's a dud. No depth. Do something, Fiora!
Shut up me five years ago!
:lol: :lol:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

hmm

interesting last quote from Ross

“I think our style of footy stood up for a while so I’m pretty confident it will stand up again.â€

saint4life
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Dumb Footy. We're so s***. Raph's fault. Kick it long. Kosi's a dud. No depth. Do something, Fiora!
The optimist.........he's all over this place,preaching his gospel.....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
saint3d
Club Player

You forgot 'don't go backwards' and 'man up'.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Dumb Footy.

well...we did play dumb footy...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I hope he also told them to handball wildly then....if s we were spot on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
The optimist.........he's all over this place,preaching his gospel.....
The miserabilist. Moping around all over this place stalkingly.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ross is the master of spin it would seem......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
roxanne
Club Player

I thought they 'backed off' from the first bounce.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
nobhead
Club Player

stinger wrote:ross is the master of spin it would seem......
who knows with ross 4 weeks ago he was concerned about the way we were playing . now after a few wins against bottom sides he doesn't seem to concerned . imo i reckon we have'nt improved the way we play since 4 weeks ago maybe he knows something we don't spose we will find out soon enough.

boneless23
Club Player

Ross was spot on with everything he said.

When the competition is this close, a few per cent of effort and emotion can swing a game and today they had a lot more to play for than we did.

If Fish is ok, it was a good, tough hitout under finals like pressure that will set us up beautifully for next week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I dont mind backing off in the last qtr The 3 qtrs prior are a concern - not from losing to be honest I couldnt care less the ONLY thing Im interested in are things like:

1. How did we move the ball into fwd 50 - any fluency?
2. Form of key players?
3. Pressure across the ground - was it there?
4. Decision making under pressure - or did we just make sloppy decisions under little real pressure and turn it over?

Im still not convinced these things can be turned on and off - I absolutely hope next week the sense of occasion means they are...but Im not sure.

Right now I dont go into this years campaign with that same swagger we had in 09.

I pray Lyons gonna pull that rabbit out of the hat. We'll know in a week.

“Yeah….nah””
boneless23
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
2. Form of key players?
4. Decision making under pressure - or did we just make sloppy decisions under little real pressure and turn it over?
1. Adelaide are great at applying defensive pressure all over the ground. They beat Geelong doing it and should have knocked off Collingwood. If we had of taken a few oppurtunities up front (and had our 2 small forwards) and piled the scoreboard pressure on we probably would have come out on top....we didn't which gives us things to work on during the week.

2. The key players were good. BJ, Lenny, Joey and Dal all looked great through the middle. Roo looked strong despite not kicking well and Kosi was powerful. Our movement from the back half wasn't as free flowing as usual but I am sure Ross will train more of that through the week. Defensively the back six were very good. If it wasn't for a number of dubious umpiring decisions they all would have had pretty good nights.

3. Our pressure and tackling was very good. They had not much more space than we did and their movement was rarely fluent. This was a positive aspect of the game IMO.

4. There were some costly decision making related errors, predominantly from some of our lesser players. Miles and Ray in particular made a couple of costly errors which I am sure they will be reminded about on Monday.

Overall, we played the three phases ok. We won the footy, kept it and pressured well when they had it. We didn't deliever well and take as many risks as we would like but I think it is good to leave a few tricks in the bag for next week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
2. Form of key players?
1. Adelaide are great at applying defensive pressure all over the ground. They beat Geelong doing it and should have knocked off Collingwood. If we had of taken a few oppurtunities up front (and had our 2 small forwards) and piled the scoreboard pressure on we probably would have come out on top....we didn't which gives us things to work on during the week.

2. The key players were good. BJ, Lenny, Joey and Dal all looked great through the middle. Roo looked strong despite not kicking well and Kosi was powerful. Our movement from the back half wasn't as free flowing as usual but I am sure Ross will train more of that through the week. Defensively the back six were very good. If it wasn't for a number of dubious umpiring decisions they all would have had pretty good nights.

3. Our pressure and tackling was very good. They had not much more space than we did and their movement was rarely fluent. This was a positive aspect of the game IMO.

4. There were some costly decision making related errors, predominantly from some of our lesser players. Miles and Ray in particular made a couple of costly errors which I am sure they will be reminded about on Monday.

Overall, we played the three phases ok. We won the footy, kept it and pressured well when they had it. We didn't deliever well and take as many risks as we would like but I think it is good to leave a few tricks in the bag for next week.
Cheers Boneless for that.

I take heart out of just checking the stats and seeing our disposal per goal was 93.0..... :shock: In comparison Cats had 28.0. All others around 23-25...

We had to be up to something.

So Sam Fisher is the only worry...

“Yeah….nah””
boneless23
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
boneless23 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I take heart out of just checking the stats and seeing our disposal per goal was 93.0..... :shock: In comparison Cats had 28.0. All others around 23-25...
Worst comparison ever ...Geelong played the bottom team at Skilled Stadium. A better one would have been Pies-Adelaide last week.

You should go to bed mate...it will all be better in the morning when you realise the real stuff starts next Friday night.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I take heart out of just checking the stats and seeing our disposal per goal was 93.0..... :shock: In comparison Cats had 28.0. All others around 23-25...

that's an appalling stat. six days to turn it around.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
boneless23 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Worst comparison ever ...Geelong played the bottom team at Skilled Stadium. A better one would have been Pies-Adelaide last week.

You should go to bed mate...it will all be better in the morning when you realise the real stuff starts next Friday night.
Geez....thanks for your .....concern mate but Im ok.

I did say in my last post that most other sides were at 23-25 range....so not just relying on Geel v WC.......

You sure you're not to tired to read ?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:I take heart out of just checking the stats and seeing our disposal per goal was 93.0..... :shock: In comparison Cats had 28.0. All others around 23-25...

that's an appalling stat. six days to turn it around.
dont tell Boneless...he's the bed nazi.... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
boneless23
Club Player

I just find sometimes when bulls*** is dribbling out of my mouth, like it is for you at the moment Teflon, it is better to shut down the old computer and sleep on it.

Swagger of '09. WTF??

Coming in to last years finals we lost to North, Essendon and were woeful againt Melbourne yet turned it on when it mattered and made a GF.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:I just find sometimes when bulls*** is dribbling out of my mouth, like it is for you at the moment Teflon, it is better to shut down the old computer and sleep on it.

Swagger of '09. WTF??

Coming in to last years finals we lost to North, Essendon and were woeful againt Melbourne yet turned it on when it mattered and made a GF.
How old are you?

We won 19 straight last year d!ckless? what part of that wouldnt give you reason for optimism come finals? - we'd played all over the entire comp all year.....different season this year. Sure, we lost 2 games by waht 7pts total last year???..........not the same this season.

What kind of a moron doesnt get that?
Time to take your hands out of your pants......

“Yeah….nah””
boneless23
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Time to take your hands out of your pants......
Will do....but they will be back in there after we beat the Cats next Friday night!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:
Teflon wrote: Time to take your hands out of your pants......
Will do....but they will be back in there after we beat the Cats next Friday night!!!
If we achieve that you can change your nic to Boner for all I care.

“Yeah….nah””