Tommy Walsh & Steven Gaertner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oldtimer
Club Player

Tommy Walsh & Steven Gaertner

Tommy in the best again for Sandy last weekend. Thats 7 times out of 18 matches. His total best player points according to the Sandy website stats schedule is 24, equal with Tom Lynch. Tom Simpkin scored 25 and Steven Gaertner 26. There was only 2 Sandy players who rated higher, Tragear and Gallagher. Tommy & Steven are still listed as Rookies on the Saints website. Does that mean they are ineligbible to play for the Saints this weekend?

I was there in 1966
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Correct, they are ineligible to play this week.

And why would we want to play either of them?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Oldtimer
Club Player

I just thought that if we were to rest some players this weekend then not much point in putting in Heyne or Lynch who have proved that they are not up to it so why not give these guys a try? But if they are ineligible I guess we have to wait until next year to see what they are like in the big league!

I was there in 1966
rexy
SS Life Member

Oldtimer wrote:I just thought that if we were to rest some players this weekend then not much point in putting in Heyne or Lynch who have proved that they are not up to it so why not give these guys a try? But if they are ineligible I guess we have to wait until next year to see what they are like in the big league!
Unfair IMO, 1 and 3 games respectively proves little.

Maybe this year?
Oldtimer
Club Player

I would like to see this on our forward line. A big unit!

I was there in 1966
maz1685
Club Player

i doubt they'll be getting a game til next year. It's our final game of the home and away season wouldn't even be thinking of it at the moment

goods
Club Player

id be giving tommy a game soon just to give him a taste of the big time to let him know what he is so far away from his family for. Mind you summer in Australia has got to be incentive on its own

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goods wrote:id be giving tommy a game soon just to give him a taste of the big time to let him know what he is so far away from his family for. Mind you summer in Australia has got to be incentive on its own
Soon now is at least 6 months. I think that is good. If his heart isnt in it he will be no good to us anyway. If it is he will be really keen to get 4 months good training into himself and be ready for the first game next year. As for Gaetner I dount he will be back but that is only my opinion.

St Michele
Club Player

goods wrote:id be giving tommy a game soon just to give him a taste of the big time to let him know what he is so far away from his family for. Mind you summer in Australia has got to be incentive on its own
After spending last Australian summer in 'Tommy country' our weather over that season will make him want to stay here... Hope to see him play next year :D

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
bozza1980
Club Player

St Michele wrote:
After spending last Australian summer in 'Tommy country' our weather over that season will make him want to stay here... Hope to see him play next year :D
I'd expect that he might see some action in the NAB Cup or preseason practise matches.

He is only young and one season into a career in a sport he'd never played before.

Based on his naming in the best a few times it sounds like he must be coming along ok, but there is no rush.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Soon now is at least 6 months. I think that is good. If his heart isnt in it he will be no good to us anyway. If it is he will be really keen to get 4 months good training into himself and be ready for the first game next year. As for Gaetner I dount he will be back but that is only my opinion.
Gaertner hasn't done much wrong and would be very stiff to be cut from the list. He appears to have some talent

Another opportunity awaits!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dont think there is much wrong with any of them.

Some inconsistancy of course throughout the season but Gaertner got better as it went along. Walsh has been a success imo. As long as he is still interested, then we should see him next year. I hope.

My personal preference is to keep rolling through and using the rookie list.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

IMO Walsh has been brought along very well, and we should see him making an impact in AFL mid-season.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
bozza1980
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:IMO Walsh has been brought along very well, and we should see him making an impact in AFL mid-season.
I think you may well be right.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gaertner hasn't done much wrong and would be very stiff to be cut from the list. He appears to have some talent
2 years and still isnt always a regular at Sandy firsts. He is going ok but surely the rookie list is about giving them 2 years and if they havent got close to the firsts, getting rid of them and having a look at someone else.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:2 years and still isnt always a regular at Sandy firsts. He is going ok but surely the rookie list is about giving them 2 years and if they havent got close to the firsts, getting rid of them and having a look at someone else.
gaertner played 16 in the seniors and just 1 in the reserves this year. the one he played in the reserves saw him named second best and getting the three votes in the leader newspapers voting.

you might not think he's good enough, but i don't think it's reasonable to suggest that he's not established in the firsts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:2 years and still isnt always a regular at Sandy firsts. He is going ok but surely the rookie list is about giving them 2 years and if they havent got close to the firsts, getting rid of them and having a look at someone else.
gaertner played 16 in the seniors and just 1 in the reserves this year. the one he played in the reserves saw him named second best and getting the three votes in the leader newspapers voting.

you might not think he's good enough, but i don't think it's reasonable to suggest that he's not established in the firsts.
No that is fair enough. I thought he may have played a few more. I stand by what I said though that the rookie list is for turning over players. He has had his chance and doesnt seem close to playing at the Saints. Could be wrong though. I didnt think they would upgrade Miles last year.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:I just thought that if we were to rest some players this weekend then not much point in putting in Heyne or Lynch who have proved that they are not up to it so why not give these guys a try? But if they are ineligible I guess we have to wait until next year to see what they are like in the big league!
Unfair IMO, 1 and 3 games respectively proves little.
exactly

obviously you must be a senior coach somewhere to be able to write off a couple of players after 1 and 3 games

genius... no doubt

support your team

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone see a similarity between the Sainters and the Aussie cricket team when it comes to selections? I like Geartner, but isn't he a project player? As is Tommy obviously.

Both coming along really well I thought, if so, talk of delisting is ludicruos.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!