Miles should play finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Miles should play finals

with Hayes Gardener Dawson and Jones to come back in the team for the finals the four players left out should not include Luke Miles.

1. has very good pace and skill
2. could be used as a run with player in our forward line playing on (Harry O'Brien) type player and kick goals
3. or play across half back and release Gilbert or Fisher if being tagged

at this stage i think Pattison Geary Heyne and maybe Dempster to miss out
I would love to see Bakes back in the team but i got the feeling the Afl don't

trevor barker
bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Miles should play finals

JABBER wrote:with Hayes Gardener Dawson and Jones to come back in the team for the finals the four players left out should not include Luke Miles.

1. has very good pace and skill
2. could be used as a run with player in our forward line playing on (Harry O'Brien) type player and kick goals
3. or play across half back and release Gilbert or Fisher if being tagged

at this stage i think Pattison Geary Heyne and maybe Dempster to miss out
I would love to see Bakes back in the team but i got the feeling the Afl don't
He was very good on Saturday, was very pleased with the composure he displayed in his first game. Should be a player.

I would be suprised however if both he and Heyne played finals ahead of both fit and unsuspended Baker and Dempster.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I thought Geary did some good tough things during the game. Wouldn't drop him.

Miles will have this week to build on his performance, make those decisions next week.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I liked Miles. Very composed. I also like Geary. I'm still a little unsure about Dempster. I feel that he doesn't contribute enough.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I too was thinking bout Miles for finals but lets see how he backs up interstate first. IF he plays with the same dash/decision making ability then for mine hes an added bonus come finals.

Wached the Pies the other night - Adelaide shut dowen Harry O's run........Pies didnt look nearly as fluent.......sound similar to us??

IF Fisher gets locked down.......a player like Miles run could be really influencial in a game......I like the boy!

“Yeah….nah””
super dooper
Club Player

I have concerns with Maqualter, Geary, Heyne, Patto and dempster being in our team come finals but in reality we are not blessed with an abundance of depth that we think we have.

Based on matchups i think dempster has a role to play against geelong (e.g. his selection for the GF last year ahead of Eddy)...

We need season hardened players playing finals.

As good as Miles looked on the weekend, i just dont think we can afford to take the risk. Finals is a completely different ball game, different intensity and pace. I doubt that playing a tired bunch of teenages and VFL all year will be adequate preparation for a tilt at a flag when we need to beat Geelong and Collingwood....

Does Eddy come in (if fit) for Maqualter???

hotdish
Club Player

Played a great game on the weekend, but i doubt he will be risked in the finals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:I would love to see Bakes back in the team but i got the feeling the Afl don't
stuff the AFL.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:I liked Miles. Very composed. I also like Geary. I'm still a little unsure about Dempster. I feel that he doesn't contribute enough.
i have miles and dempster competing for one spot. if miles can keep playing at the level he showed on the weekend, he's ahead of dempster, for mine.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Great debut BUT he has only pplayed one game.

If he plays against the Crows (and I hope he will) he may well playa shocker.

So while I very much enjoyed his game, and love is pace as we do not have a lot of quick defensive options (ie to mind Varcoe who caused damage in the GF) lets not go pencilling him in the first final yet.

Having only played one game is a major hurdle, as when under the pump there is no substitute for haing played a lot with your team-mates so that you can anticipate etc.

Dempsster has played in 3 of the closest GF of all time for example.

Eddy looked very good in his last two game.

Miles being selected this week may be a challenge as:

*potentially all of:
Gardiner, Hayes, CJ, Zac and Eddy may come back in (and Baker the week after).

* and Lyon may want another look at Armo who was ok in what he did, but did not find enough ball.

*I can't see many being rested. Maybe Schneider who had a Bad corkie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Agree with SR. Let's wait and see how he goes this weekend. If he plays well, he's in for mine, regardless of who is coming back.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

There was one passage I liked where he backed his pace to run and weave between two opponents.

I like pacy risk takers and ball carriers ? (but I nevertheless voted for the redhead on Saturday - am i PC in every sense of the word in saying that ?).

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I was impressed with some of the things Miles did, but he was frequently running around oodles of space in what was a very open game.

I'd firstly like to see how good his disposal skills would look when he is closely marked by one of the better defences in the comp.

Anyway, if he needs to be played in the finals because some senior guys are out injured, one feels that he might possibly acquit himself ok, which is more - alas - than I can say for the likes of Heyne and Lynch.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:
Based on matchups i think dempster has a role to play against geelong (e.g. his selection for the GF last year ahead of Eddy)...
which role would that be? the role of getting towelled up by andrew mackie?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I was impressed with some of the things Miles did, but he was frequently running around oodles of space in what was a very open game.

I'd firstly like to see how good his disposal skills would look when he is closely marked by one of the better defences in the comp.

Anyway, if he needs to be played in the finals because some senior guys are out injured, one feels that he might possibly acquit himself ok, which is more - alas - than I can say for the likes of Heyne and Lynch.
yes.....he is a back up player only t this stage....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
- than I can say for the likes of Heyne and Lynch.
I think that there a few in front of those two.

I must admit that I was surprised that Alias did not get the game in front of Heyne.

Still Heyne said, in the Victory Room, thathe only learnt he was playing an hour before the game, and so that may have been why.

Still it would be good for his development....but I would loved to have seen Alias play in the Tigers game and with it being such an open game it would have suited him well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Geary does some great work to get the footy, hes as gutsy as they come and is skilled at ground level, but sadly, along with Sam Gilbert, is our turnover king

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rexy
SS Life Member

Think Miles will stay in this week and really it is only this weeks performance and who is available first week of the finals that will decide his fate after that. Is a chance as he is different to most of our guys, very pacy.

As far as general selection goes, is peake now considered best 22? He has not been mentioned as a possible out, like his dash and endeavour but his lack of a left side and his decision making in close is a concern IMO. Dempster rarely gets beaten but doesnt really create at all either, Mini not getting a lot of it but is hard at the ball and the man and can go into the guts, also runs very hard without it, like wise for Eddy, they are fighting for one spot IMO and it is hard to split them. Geary is out for Baker I beleive, good that we have a replacement who is as hard and as determined though.

Maybe this year?
JABBER
Club Player

Miles should play finals

If Miles was 20 years or younger yes wait for a few games .He come to us at the age of 21 3 years ago after finishing 3rd in the WAFL Medal.So He has the body and speed to play against men.He done his apprentiship with us and if his free of injury play him.

trevor barker
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

JABBER wrote:If Miles was 20 years or younger yes wait for a few games .He come to us at the age of 21 3 years ago after finishing 3rd in the WAFL Medal.So He has the body and speed to play against men.He done his apprentiship with us and if his free of injury play him.
Who isnt playing for Miles to play considering we have to get Bakes, Lenny, MG and CJ into the side plus maybe Eddy?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Think Miles will stay in this week and really it is only this weeks performance and who is available first week of the finals that will decide his fate after that. Is a chance as he is different to most of our guys, very pacy.

As far as general selection goes, is peake now considered best 22? He has not been mentioned as a possible out, like his dash and endeavour but his lack of a left side and his decision making in close is a concern IMO. Dempster rarely gets beaten but doesnt really create at all either, Mini not getting a lot of it but is hard at the ball and the man and can go into the guts, also runs very hard without it, like wise for Eddy, they are fighting for one spot IMO and it is hard to split them. Geary is out for Baker I beleive, good that we have a replacement who is as hard and as determined though.
peake definitely in best 22. and miles definitely to play this week and is first emg for finals.

for the record. IMHO we should just send a b team to adelaide this week. we have nothing to play for.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
rexy wrote:Think Miles will stay in this week and really it is only this weeks performance and who is available first week of the finals that will decide his fate after that. Is a chance as he is different to most of our guys, very pacy.

peake definitely in best 22. and miles definitely to play this week and is first emg for finals.

for the record. IMHO we should just send a b team to adelaide this week. we have nothing to play for.
As i have suggested previously that would mean we play one game in 21 days if we win the first final. Hardly think that is an ideal preparation for a prelim. Do as we did last week. Those with slight injuries miss otherwise most if not all our stars play.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Do as we did last week. Those with slight injuries miss otherwise most if not all our stars play.
agree. now is not the time to be too clever about resting guys up. at this time of the season the most important thing is winning form.

we want to enter the finals at or just below peak form and building to something special.

we need to win this week and win well.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do as we did last week. Those with slight injuries miss otherwise most if not all our stars play.
agree. now is not the time to be too clever about resting guys up. at this time of the season the most important thing is winning form.

we want to enter the finals at or just below peak form and building to something special.

we need to win this week and win well.
Confirmed now that Zac, Gardi, CJ and Lenny will all be playing this week. Will be good for all of them to shake off the cobwebs similar to Melbourne R22 last year.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: As i have suggested previously that would mean we play one game in 21 days if we win the first final. Hardly think that is an ideal preparation for a prelim. Do as we did last week. Those with slight injuries miss otherwise most if not all our stars play.
yep. good call. agree.