Our Disposal by hand and foot is atrocious

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

Our Disposal by hand and foot is atrocious

No matter how much pressure we apply it wont help us if we constantly turn it over near our f50 every single time we try and hit a target..

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
backit
Club Player

Agree, just posted that comment in match thread, we are creating turnovers which against a good side will kill us.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I agree with that, but I would like to know how we compare to the cats and the filth, are we as bad as we think or do we focus more on errors. We win a shyte load of games for a team that seems to have poor disposal

I love this club
S.A Saint
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:I agree with that, but I would like to know how we compare to the cats and the filth, are we as bad as we think or do we focus more on errors. We win a shyte load of games for a team that seems to have poor disposal
we are deff worse than the pies and the cats with ball movement and disposal efficiency..no facts just by watching all the teams play we are imo in the bottom 5..

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Statsman
Club Player

It's a catch 22 in that we rely heavily of Gilbert and Gram for run and carry off half back yet at the same time neither of them can kick the football. How often do you see a lovely rebound from Gilbert or Gram spoilt by a helicopter punt to a nest of defenders inside our forward line.

Maybe we need the better ball users to run in support of Gilbert and Gram, take the handball and do the delivery inside 50. I'd love to see Gilbert and Gram stream out of defence, handball to a running Goddard, Dal Santo and Montagna and then see those guys deliver lace out to Kosi or Roo on the lead.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:It's a catch 22 in that we rely heavily of Gilbert and Gram for run and carry off half back yet at the same time neither of them can kick the football. How often do you see a lovely rebound from Gilbert or Gram spoilt by a helicopter punt to a nest of defenders inside our forward line.

Maybe we need the better ball users to run in support of Gilbert and Gram, take the handball and do the delivery inside 50. I'd love to see Gilbert and Gram stream out of defence, handball to a running Goddard, Dal Santo and Montagna and then see those guys deliver lace out to Kosi or Roo on the lead.
Add Riewoldt into that. He needs to convert those gimmes from dead in front
Last edited by Moccha on Sat 21 Aug 2010 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another opportunity awaits!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It is our achiiles heel...

Jones, Peake, Ray, Gram, Blake (when he actually kicks forward), Gilbert, Geary, Dawson, Dempster, Eddy all substandard by foot

Hayes and Montagna both turn it over also

Our forwards are not reliable kicks at goal to boot....

Our footskills cost us a Premiership in 09 and will hurt our chances in 2010

Statsman
Club Player

New team rule - BJ is the only player who's allowed to kick. Everybody else must handball to BJ. :wink:

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Moods
Saintsational Legend

To be honest if that's the case, it says a little bit about us as a footy team. To have up to half the team as inept as described by foot and yet still finish top 3 is a fair effort.

Let's remember that the game is called Foot-ball. If we can't do the most fundamental aspect of the game then we probably don't deserve to win the flag.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good ball winners - poor ball users.

If we are winning the ball they aren't.....but if we aren't hitting targets??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Agreed...and it is more of an issue this year as teams, and particularly the Pies, have adopted some of our play in pressuring the ball carrier better and earlier = more turnovers and as they have numbers hurting us with rebound from them.

I have no doubt that this area...plus delivered workrate are the two big "make or break" issues for us in Sept.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....