Mini not 100%?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackyboy
Club Player

Mini not 100%?

I love Mcqualter as a footballer and especially last year he showed us what he can do in a damaging "forward pressure" role, I always thought he would end up making his way to the midfield but as everyone has been saying he definatly hasn't been in as good form.

I remember hearing about him being injured for some of pre season and was wondering if perhaps he is carrying a bit of an injury and isn't 100%?

Or is it simply a bout of poor form or a change in his game style?

Carn the saints!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What is injured is his "confidence".

Unfortunately Misson cannot fix this for him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

He's not moving like he's injured. Just a bit fumbly and seems to be having a bit of trouble choosing the correct option quick enough. One instance yesterday when he won the ball well on the 50m arc he procrastinated in traffic as to who to give the ball to. Eventually the moment was lost and he turned it over. He doesn't win the ball enough to do this. He needs to make every possession count. Last year he did this.

older saint
SS Life Member

wouldn't think so actually started in the centre on Sunday.

He, Eddy and Geary all fill roles which they are getting better at. Mini was very good last year and i wonder how much his confidence took a hit with the GF misses.
Was however interested to hear how outspoken he was with the whole Lovett thing- very surprising if a good thing cuold come from this.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Last year he was good for a goal a game, just hasn't been doing so this year.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintkid
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Last year he was good for a goal a game, just hasn't been doing so this year.
Our family were so rapt for Mini last year after being delisted and re-drafted but he has gone backwards big time for some reason. He appears to lack mental toughness and perhaps has self doubt about his ability. However, there is absolutely no excuse for his lack of intensity at the ball. Watch his effort in the last couple of minutes of yesterday's game. He waited to mark the ball from a teammate pass rather than go towards the flight of the ball and a North player got his hands on it for a turnover. Woeful effort like most of his game. As I said yesterday, he wouldn't come close to getting a game at the Cats or Pies. Just can't afford passengers like him in the side coming into the finals.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Without excusing McQualter - whose statsline doesn't read as poorly as some suggest, 4 tackles and an assist every week is handy. He's had >20 touches more often than he's had <10 - I wonder if he's finding himself in starvation land a little and struggling to deal with it.

Milne has clearly had the close to goal crumbing sewn up nicely... to be fair he did a year ago too, but that's where Mini's goals came from, pressure close to goal. More than 25m out he likes to pass.

The bigger loss has been the assists... and I think you'll find most of those have found their way to Adam Schneider who probably only misses AA because of the years Chappy and Didak have had, but Schneider leads the AFL in assists, averages 2 goals a game with 3 tackles a week.

IMO, Mini's actually looked his best when spelling Schneider roaming off the half forward line, he just hasn't had quite Schneider's magic and penetration by foot to make things happen.

Whether or not McQualter can find a way to work through the form of Milne and Schneider may define his future.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford