Five saints called in Lovett case

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Five saints called in Lovett case

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 11u1d.html
The five players, who include Jason Gram, Sam Fisher and Adam Schneider, had been with Lovett before the alleged attack took place at Gram's home in the early hours of Christmas Eve.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Re: Five saints called in Lovett case

kosifantutti23 wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 11u1d.html
The five players, who include Jason Gram, Sam Fisher and Adam Schneider, had been with Lovett before the alleged attack took place at Gram's home in the early hours of Christmas Eve.
Another distraction

Another opportunity awaits!
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Another ??? or the same thing that's been distracting for weeks ?

What will be next from this club ?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Really shouldn't underestimate the toll this whole affair has taken on Gram which could explain the year he's having.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Quick and painless process, relatively. They're not the one's on trial. Minor distraction. Don't worry about it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

On the contrary, the players seem to thrive on distractions. Galvanises them or something.

It's probably no coincidence that during our winless stretch recently there were no scandals.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Quick and painless process, relatively. They're not the one's on trial. Minor distraction. Don't worry about it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Really shouldn't underestimate the toll this whole affair has taken on Gram which could explain the year he's having.
How did it tear his hip flexor or whatever it was he tore?

Seriously, though, I think people overstate the importance of 'scandals'. They're footballers surrounded by other footballers. Hardly an environment renowned for overwrought introspection...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

mad dogs and englishmen

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

In light of the situation I have copied the whole statement
http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

St Kilda Media Statement
10:59 AM Tue 10 August, 2010

St Kilda Football Club confirms that five St Kilda players and one Club official have been notified that they are required to give evidence at the Andrew Lovett committal hearing.

The committal hearing will commence today, Tuesday 10 August and conclude on Friday 13 August.

It is important to note that the St Kilda players and official who have been called are civilian witnesses, and are not giving evidence for or against the accused or alleged victim.

From the outset of the investigation, the St Kilda Football Club and its players have fully cooperated with Victoria Police. Any appearance of players or officials in court this week to give evidence is a normal part of the legal process.

While the Club understands there may be a level of general interest in this issue, given it is a criminal matter that is before the courts, the Club and its players are legally not able to make any further comment.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

safe to assume they have been summoned by the prosecution and not the defence.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

statement above your post con- you must have posted at same time
states they are attending as Civilian Witnesses.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
safe to assume they have been summoned by the prosecution and not the defence.
As I understand it, the prosecution calls anybody it thinks may help fill out the pieces of the story required to take the matter past this preliminary stage and into the next.

It's fairly safe to say - from what I've read - that our guys were not eyewitnesses to anything, so they'll be asked to report on what allegedly happened afterwards.

From there it'll be a case of determining whether everything/anything they say in addition to anything said by anyone else amounts to a prosecution case that is a fair chance of succeeding at the next level of the process ie a trial.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:statement above your post con- you must have posted at same time
ok. yes. so its only a committal hearing. so court just wants to know basics. i.e was the accused in the vicinity of the crime at the times alleged. thats about it. once they establish basics they go to trial later in the year. committal will probably only last an hour.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintbrat wrote:statement above your post con- you must have posted at same time
ok. yes. so its only a committal hearing. so court just wants to know basics. i.e was the accused in the vicinity of the crime at the times alleged. thats about it. once they establish basics they go to trial later in the year. committal will probably only last an hour.
It's listed for four days.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Not unusual. Different availabilities for different people involved. Doesn't mean half a day in the box for every witness.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
yeah. when are we going to get meaningful court/law reform. they just waste time. suits all parties to drag it on cos they get paid by the day.

supersaints
Club Player

At least its not going to happen during the finals, no matter what it must distract the players .....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
no quite...the prosecution has to establish a prima facie case against lovett......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
no quite...the prosecution has to establish a prima facie case against lovett......
What's the standard in an unwitnessed rape case? For instance...I'd imagine pretty high.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Beej wrote:Really shouldn't underestimate the toll this whole affair has taken on Gram which could explain the year he's having.
How did it tear his hip flexor or whatever it was he tore?

Seriously, though, I think people overstate the importance of 'scandals'. They're footballers surrounded by other footballers. Hardly an environment renowned for overwrought introspection...
When your missus/gf/girl you're seeing is allegedly attacked while you're a few feet away I imagine it could affect your mind/body and then your form, particularly having to revisit the thing time and time again with the police and lawyers.

We see footballers surrounded by other footballers with fast cars and even faster women and we think they're bullet-proof when really they are just human like you and I.

It's not something that I would like to go through.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 10 Aug 2010 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I still don't know how it tore his hip flexor.

His form was injury-riddled and now it's seemingly injury-ravaged.

I'm not sure your reason has had time to influence mine to be honest.

I'm not belittling the circumstances BTW.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I still don't know how it tore his hip flexor.

His form was injury-riddled and now it's seemingly injury-ravaged.

I'm not sure your reason has had time to influence mine to be honest.

I'm not belittling the circumstances BTW.
I've seen it more than once where a player who is suffering from personal problems has a horror year on the field as well as off.

Injuries, suspensions...

Something like this is a massive distraction and it can easily affect one's ability to prepare. When the body isn't prepared, I would suggest that they're more susceptible to injury which can then lead on to a whole range of things which all make it more difficult for a player to get back to his best.

It can have a snowball effect on a footballer.

Just my opinion.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

About Lovett.

He never played for St Kilda, he just took our money.

He is more of an ex-Bomber than an ex-Saint. It's a shame we keep getting our club's name associated with him.

I hope this case galvanises the group.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Tue 10 Aug 2010 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.