Ben coming of age???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ben coming of age???

Ben with now 25 games up looks to be hitting his straps and is coming along nicely.

His last 3 games have seen his ruckwork blossom.

By 50 games he should be making a more solid impact...and I would be hopeful that come this finals series that his improvement will be one of the factors in us having a better finals team this year than last.

Against the Roos he may be handed the challenge of being our No1 ruck for the game, and against quality ruck opponents it will interesting to see how he goes.

Schneider has improved, as has Gwilt.

Peake looks to be coming along nicely now as well.

If Ben can ramp up his recent form it is a good sign for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gooner
Club Player

Absolute disgrace it has taken a tall a few seasons to develop. Should have taken Rioli.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:Absolute disgrace it has taken a tall a few seasons to develop. Should have taken Rioli.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Agree with saintrising, I had hoped that he would be a very good ruckman for us and was beginning to worry that he might not be up to it. He has really come on this year and I think he still has a a bit of improvement in him. He will be even better with another preseason in him

Gwilt has proven many wrong and has become a very valuable player. Schneider also has improved this year.

I love this club
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Strikes me as a fiercely dedicated fella.

His set shot is a beauty and his second efforts are really getting up there for a real big fella.

I'm sniffing leadership at some point. Just seems that sort of cat.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Yes he when he is running into a pack, it seems to me that he really makes a impact and hits the pack hard with strong hands

I love this club
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

All-Australian in a few seasons! Pure gold!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:All-Australian in a few seasons! Pure gold!!!!
And premiership captain :D

I love this club
gooner
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Strikes me as a fiercely dedicated fella.

His set shot is a beauty and his second efforts are really getting up there for a real big fella.

I'm sniffing leadership at some point. Just seems that sort of cat.
Captain of Vic Country if I recall correctly.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from Last year or was it 2007

Emma Quayles book -' The draft' had a section on Ben
the story I remember was of a 6 year old from very country country who went to the Royal Melbourne show with his family
Got lost and yet found his way to his Father.

has the leadership qualities that the Saints have gathered over the last few years- How many of our newer guys have been captains of their teams...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
boneless23
Club Player

gooner wrote:Absolute disgrace it has taken a tall a few seasons to develop. Should have taken Rioli.
I get the sarcasm mate but I wouldn't have minded Cyril's pace and goalkicking in last years GF.

I think Benny is going to be great but it is always a risk to use a first round pick on a ruckman as you just never know how they will turn out. Look at the best two in the Comp (Sandilands and Cox) who were both rookie list players that improved as their body developed.

FQF
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:
I get the sarcasm mate but I wouldn't have minded Cyril's pace and goalkicking in last years GF.

I think Benny is going to be great but it is always a risk to use a first round pick on a ruckman as you just never know how they will turn out. Look at the best two in the Comp (Sandilands and Cox) who were both rookie list players that improved as their body developed.
And then there's Josh Fraser and (hate to say it) Kosi who were picks 1 and 2 in their respective drafts who have not lived up to expectation.

Then again, Kreuzer is coming along nicely. Michael Gardiner was a number 1 pick and has had a very respectable career (with many more great games to go).

Jury is still out on Natanui.

Richmond are an interesting case. Vickery was a first round pick (second best ruckman after NicNat) and Angus Graham was a rookie listed player who was probably viewed as more of a back up.

Now Graham is the number one ruckman by a long shot, and Vickery is struggling.

Also guys like Jamar and Goldstein and Mumford (who really came from no where) have taken a while to get going but are now some of the best big men going around.

You just never know with ruckmen...

boneless23
Club Player

I think talent selection is not an exact science and we are always going to regret some draft day decisions.

For example, if we had the choice again today I think the majority of us would select Frawley or Jack Riewoldt over Armo, Cyril before big Benny and Dayne Beams before Tom Lynch. I hope all these blokes make me look stupid in 2-3 years but I somehow doubt it.

I think the best thing to do is not to think about too much or it would do our collective heads in.

FQF
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:I think talent selection is not an exact science and we are always going to regret some draft day decisions.

For example, if we had the choice again today I think the majority of us would select Frawley or Jack Riewoldt over Armo, Cyril before big Benny and Dayne Beams before Tom Lynch. I hope all these blokes make me look stupid in 2-3 years but I somehow doubt it.

I think the best thing to do is not to think about too much or it would do our collective heads in.
You never know really. Lynch hasn't really been given an opportunity in the big time. And to some extent, neither has Armo.

Settling in for a player is crucial and Collingwood have always selected plenty of youth and given them time to adapt. It pays off in the long run, but we are more for the here and now. And over the past few years, Lynch hasn't been all that necessary.

I don't doubt his potential, and i quietly hope that he will turn into a very handy player for us.

Hawthorn would never admit it, and its a big call, but they could desperately do with a McEvoy right now. Cyril is good, but their ruck stocks are verging on crap.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
boneless23 wrote:

And then there's Josh Fraser and (hate to say it) Kosi who were picks 1 and 2 in their respective drafts who have not lived up to expectation.

Then again, Kreuzer is coming along nicely. Michael Gardiner was a number 1 pick and has had a very respectable career (with many more great games to go).

Jury is still out on Natanui.

Richmond are an interesting case. Vickery was a first round pick (second best ruckman after NicNat) and Angus Graham was a rookie listed player who was probably viewed as more of a back up.

Now Graham is the number one ruckman by a long shot, and Vickery is struggling.

Also guys like Jamar and Goldstein and Mumford (who really came from no where) have taken a while to get going but are now some of the best big men going around.

You just never know with ruckmen...

king was also a number 1 draft pick......the best will always shine....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Ben has been steadily improving this year. They say big men take a fair while longer to mature, and it appears as if Ben is starting to show some terrific potential. His ruckwork (ordinary early) has come along in leaps and bounds (with a bit of work to do yet), and I like his clean hands, and skills for a big fella. His tendency to drift forward and snag the odd goal makes him a valuable commodity. Will be our #1 ruck in 2012 by the length of the Flemington straight, just unsure as to who will be partnering him (Kosi, Stanley or a draft pick/trade?)

The Saints are coming!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ben looks a player, and beside Spider I cant think of a home grown ruckman we have developed in the last 10 years that was any good. We had Lachy Henderson that was at the Brions and now Blues in our sights, but he went before the Big Mac. Now that was one where we dodged a bullet, he doesn't look likely at the moment.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ben to me is coming along nicely and would seem to me to be a fair value pick-up based upon the criteria and info available BEFORE he was picked up.

So cannot really understand the criticism of taking him with pick 8.

Now Lynch and some others, such as Howard (Bevos last hurrah), are more contentious because there was a surprise in them being taken when they were. So in terms of our picks it is mainly these surprise picks which seem to have gone most astray.

Armo based upon the info at the time was also fair value..and he can certainly play. Hindsight shows that there were better players later, but you can say that about a large proportion of picks.

Steven and Stanley both look to likely to deliver above where they were taken.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ben is doing well, and I really liked his game against Port. He may be the one we need for the finals, as we need a few big grabs in the forward line and around the ground - sadly Kosi isn't giving us that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Ben to me is coming along nicely and would seem to me to be a fair value pick-up based upon the criteria and info available BEFORE he was picked up.

So cannot really understand the criticism of taking him with pick 8..
Agree.

As I recall the Saints were after a young ruckman as their first pick and McEvoy was considered the best one in the draft after Kreuzer.

He was never going to have the instant impact of a speedy mid but we are now just starting to see the dividends and they look very good indeed.

Ruckman take time - hindsight should prove the Saints were right to start this process back in 2007.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He seems pretty durable to date as well from memory.

Has he been injured in his time as a Saint?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Besides Ben hasa great win/loss record :wink:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ben will be a gun!

But for the next few years he will serve up inconsistency!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:But for the next few years he will serve up inconsistency!
It's true that as a rule big ruckmen take a little longer to develop, but there are exceptions ... Ditterich, Len Thompson, Simon Madden and others.

Ben seems to have a very mature head on his shoulders. IMO he is ready now to step up and play consistent footy.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Spinner wrote:But for the next few years he will serve up inconsistency!
It's true that as a rule big ruckmen take a little longer to develop, but there are exceptions ... Ditterich, Len Thompson, Simon Madden and others.

Ben seems to have a very mature head on his shoulders. IMO he is ready now to step up and play consistent footy.

Consistent dominate footy.