Steven SALOPEK on the market...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I rate him highly, but i wouldnt say he is a tough, hard at it midfielder.

His skills are probably his strength, also his leadership ability, but i dont look at him as being in and under

If we could get him somehow i would be over the moon... He was a Saints fan, but like anything, his faviourite team as we speak would be Port
. The team has to want him, the team he plays for has to want to accept an offer for him and the player has to want to go...

he's gone from sth australia already and he ain't returning there.....
i realise that, but there are another 9 teams in vic that he could go to.. we just have to tempt him

Carn Saints
SaintTom
Club Player

I would have thought we would have a bit of room in the cap with Lovett's salary up for someone (unless we still have him as part of the cap?) As well as that, Blake will be turning 30, and do we have anyone else coming toward the veterans list?

He or Travis Boak would be quite handy additions if we could wangle one of them.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Batnoe wrote:
stinger wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I rate him highly, but i wouldnt say he is a tough, hard at it midfielder.

His skills are probably his strength, also his leadership ability, but i dont look at him as being in and under

If we could get him somehow i would be over the moon... He was a Saints fan, but like anything, his faviourite team as we speak would be Port
. The team has to want him, the team he plays for has to want to accept an offer for him and the player has to want to go...

he's gone from sth australia already and he ain't returning there.....
i realise that, but there are another 9 teams in vic that he could go to.. we just have to tempt him
Maybe we could get him to nominate us as his preferred destination. Then just refuse to give up anything below pick 30 for him in trade week, he could refuse to deal with any other club and before draft week he could ignore every other club who showed any interest in him. Seemed to work for a certain someone last draft!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Haven't seen him play good footy for a long time and never reached the peaks he was supposed too.

Now he's basically an injury prone plodder....do we need to take the risk on another? If we got him for next to nothing for sure,but I'd rather we chased some pace..

Bring back the Lockett era
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Could have had him in 02 draft ahead of Barry Brooks. Salopek was drafted pick 6 which we got as part of the Peter Everret deal. We gave pick six and pick 31 to Port for Brooks who then used it to get Salopek. Doh.....oh well....
I forgot we also squandered pick 31 also.

Geez, Brooks must have been a superb player to be worth picks 6 and 31 in an uncompromised draft. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
He was originally pick 15 in the 2001 draft. Seriously, if you can get a hold of a game he played in Tassie against Port in 2005 my advice is don't watch it....It was one of the worst games by a ruckman ever. Him and good old Fergus Watts. Good picks they were......NOOOOTTTT

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Seriously, if you can get a hold of a game he played in Tassie against Port in 2005 my advice is don't watch it....It was one of the worst games by a ruckman ever.
Was that the game where Brooks momentarily forgot which team he played for and allowed his opponent to take an uncontested mark by actually protecting him from a St Kilda player?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Has bad shoulders and hasnt really come on. Probably havent got the money in the salary cap anyway.
excuse my ignorance but i though we would have a fair bit of cap space spare ?
We just signed 14 players. I think the money spare after Lovett leaving is now gone. Salopek is an injury riddled outside player without outstanding pace who will probably attrack 350K. Not sure we need someone like that.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:that is the worst attempt at spelling the word "serious" I've ever seen in my life.
Yep, wasn't too good. I am writing this on my iPod though, if that's any excuse.
It wasn't a spelling error, just a typing mistake. I can spell the word 'serious'

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Seriously, if you can get a hold of a game he played in Tassie against Port in 2005 my advice is don't watch it....It was one of the worst games by a ruckman ever.
Was that the game where Brooks momentarily forgot which team he played for and allowed his opponent to take an uncontested mark by actually protecting him from a St Kilda player?
Don't remind me.......

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I would love to have Salopek - and I reckon he's an inside player

Everyone wants to a draft good player, but they don't want to give up anything decent for him :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 06 Aug 2010 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:I would love to have Salopek - and I reckon he's an inside player

Everyone wants to draft good player, but they don't want to give up anything decent for him :shock:
Watch Collingwood go for him then!

Another opportunity awaits!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Has bad shoulders and hasnt really come on. Probably havent got the money in the salary cap anyway.
excuse my ignorance but i though we would have a fair bit of cap space spare ?
just re-signed a shedload of players, and we're not losing many who are highly paid, so it'd be a great bit of business if we had very much room in the cap at all.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:I would love to have Salopek - and I reckon he's an inside player

Everyone wants to draft a good player, but they don't want to give up anything decent for him :shock:
Watch Collingwood go for him then!
:shock: :mrgreen:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
it was the game where the coach though playing a newbie ruckman as a FB was a good call :roll:

Could have been anything but did his knee and was never mentally tough enough to re-invent himself afterwards....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SaintPav wrote:
Beej wrote:
Don't remind me.......
it was "one" of the funniest things ever seen on a footy field.
but as for Salopek, this would make it the third chance we have had to get him, I would think he is over any romantic notion of playing for the team he supported as a kid

Seeya
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Someone told me he grew up just a kick our two from Linton Street Moorabbin and that he barracked for the Saints so he'd bleed red, white and black and mean it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Salopek is a decent player probably a bit like luke ball with less commitment to the contest but better kick. Maybe a bit like Heath Black also, looks like he should be better than he is.

I think we should find some quick players still. Cyril Rioli would do, or maybe we should look for another Jetta in the draft- there are more of them than Motlops. But a skillful quick would be a bit more attractive for the money.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah big Saints fan and was devastated to go to Port when he thought he was going to us. My wife is an old friend of his sister, and he was definitely a massive fan.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We should do. No Ball. No King. No Lovett. I sure hope we have some room left. Id take him in heartbeat.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'd take him...

tough inside player, got a bit of talent, not the answer to all of our problems by any means but a handy one to add to our rotations

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'd take him...

tough inside player, got a bit of talent, not the answer to all of our problems by any means but a handy one to add to our rotations
Yeah, we need someone with injury concerns that will be over the odds with our salary cap IMO as we have paid Lovett out....

Little or no chance IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!