History is against the Saints in 2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: History is against the Saints in 2010

Arthur Mullard wrote:Apart from the dreadful form of this last month shown by the Saints, a glance at the history books shows that a flag will be beyond us in 2010.
Its more or less a foregone conclusion that Collingwood and Geelong will finish 1 & 2 for the season. And none but the most one-eyed and delusional fan would deny that they are there on merit. Both sides are playing exceptionally good and confident football. The most compelling argument against our chances for the premiership is history:
The last time a team won from outside of the top four was in 1998 (when Adelaide won from 5th) since then the flag has only gone to 1st or 2nd on the H&A ladder, with two wins to the 3rd placed side.
Not only will we need a miracle on a scale of Lazarus with our form, but we would need to do something (win from outside the top 3) that has not been done for twelve seasons.
Forget about 2010 flag chances and just enjoy watching the game! and get ready for another attempt in 2011
Firstly, f*** off with your pessimism. I will never give up on 'em even if the slump carries on to Rd 22. (Well said Thinline)

Secondly, we are not outside the top three.

Thirdly, we finished on top in 1965 and lost the Grand Final. In '66 Collingwood flogged us during the year and finished on top. How did that work out for them?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Arthur Mullard
Club Player

Hey Kosifantutti and thinline just keep on keeping on hoping against hope if thats all you've got to back up aany flag chances and sainternist...go back to booing the side off!!!!!!
If the slump continues you WILL drop off em!!!!!!

Yus my dear!!!!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

3.56 post.

School's out.

Back to your homework, laughable child.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Arthur Mullard wrote:Hey Kosifantutti and thinline just keep on keeping on hoping against hope if thats all you've got to back up aany flag chances and sainternist...go back to booing the side off!!!!!!
If the slump continues you WILL drop off em!!!!!!
Sorry, a member for 40 years. Dropping off is not an option.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As someone said, a month is a long time in football, where we're we sitting a month ago?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well I'm praying! How about the rest of you? :wink: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Just let the negative nancy have his opinion he is entitled to it. I just want him do publicly state that he will not be lining up for a Grand Final ticket if/when we make the last Saturday in September and deny a supporter who still beleives in the club a cnahce to see Roo and Ross hold the Cup aloft.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Arthur Mullard wrote:Classy response thinline! :roll: Try READING THE POST SLOWLY AND TRY TO DIGEST WHAT I WAS SAYING I'm NOT asking people to give up on them...simply saying that history and current form point toward another blank season, enjoy going to the game and dont get disappointed at the inevitable outcome!
I'd settle for Geelongs "same old same old" any time! by7 the way!
I actually thought you got the response you deserved... but since you're after a dispassionate response:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Under the McIntyre final 8 system there have been 7 of 16 Grand Finals where 1st played 2nd, making the last 3 years an abberation. Even if the top 8 remains unchanged it is statistically unlikely that this year's Grand Finalists will be Collingwood and Geelong.

However in that same period the minor premier has only missed the Grand Final 4 times.

Interestingly, in that position, the minor premier only has a 50-50 chance of winning the flag. The strike rate actually gets a little better for those who don't finish on top.

Add to that the statistic that where last year's minor premier wins this year's flag... I predict a Saints-Magpies Grand Final. Saints Premiers.
For some reason I have always thought our next flag will be against Collingwood.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time a team who was 10th on the points for won a flag?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:When was the last time a team who was 10th on the points for won a flag?

2005. Sydney were 14th.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/2005.html#lad

Who was their midfield coach?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
SaintPav wrote:When was the last time a team who was 10th on the points for won a flag?

2005. Sydney were 14th.

Swans finished 14th for points for at the end of the h & a season. Incredible. I feel better now.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The only thing against us iss form. If we get it back we are a huge chance. History also said we couldnt lose last year. I'll tell you about stats and history. Gram had 35 posssessions on Friday. That is what I think of stats.
Most intelligent thing you've said for a while p66. I do concur.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

2005. Sydney were 14th.

Swans finished 14th for points for at the end of the h & a season. Incredible. I feel better now.
14th! Wow! That is remarkable

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think we are a show to make the Prelims.

That's the extent of my optimism.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

psshh history, history was meant to be on our side last year, fat load of good that did. History doesn't have to repeat, History is to be made.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
Arthur Mullard wrote:Classy response thinline! :roll: Try READING THE POST SLOWLY AND TRY TO DIGEST WHAT I WAS SAYING I'm NOT asking people to give up on them...simply saying that history and current form point toward another blank season, enjoy going to the game and dont get disappointed at the inevitable outcome!
I actually thought you got the response you deserved... but since you're after a dispassionate response:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Under the McIntyre final 8 system there have been 7 of 16 Grand Finals where 1st played 2nd, making the last 3 years an abberation. Even if the top 8 remains unchanged it is statistically unlikely that this year's Grand Finalists will be Collingwood and Geelong.

However in that same period the minor premier has only missed the Grand Final 4 times.

Interestingly, in that position, the minor premier only has a 50-50 chance of winning the flag. The strike rate actually gets a little better for those who don't finish on top.

Add to that the statistic that where last year's minor premier wins this year's flag... I predict a Saints-Magpies Grand Final. Saints Premiers.
For some reason I have always thought our next flag will be against Collingwood.
I like that except this time it will be by 2 points. Funnier things have happened.

Another opportunity awaits!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The only thing against us iss form. If we get it back we are a huge chance. History also said we couldnt lose last year. I'll tell you about stats and history. Gram had 35 posssessions on Friday. That is what I think of stats.
Geez imagine if he had got 45. May have figured in the best

Another opportunity awaits!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I think you'll find Geelong was beaten by both the Bombers and Collingwood the year they won the flag.......it ain't over til it's over! St Kilda oozes class....it's just that our backs aren't up against the wall!

Go Saints!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Geez imagine if he had got 45. May have figured in the best
Not if he butchered them like Friday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

St. Luke wrote:I think you'll find Geelong was beaten by both the Bombers and Collingwood the year they won the flag.......it ain't over til it's over! St Kilda oozes class....it's just that our backs aren't up against the wall!

Go Saints!
Um what?

When?

Anyway, my thoughts are - meh, I've been sick of the home and away for a while now but next Sunday i actually have something to barrack for. I want to win. it has been five weeks since I attended a game where we won 9or at least it will have been five when we play on Sunday)

Sick of bloody waiting to hear our song after the match.

saint vince
Club Player

That is exactly what you did in the op

mustangjack
Club Player

bit different this year people, i think 3 or 4th wont be going interstate . How many times has 3 and 4 gone interstate since this mc intyre system . history was yesterday tomorrows a mystery and its promised to no one