An open letter to the playing list at the StKFC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great post punter..can feel your pain as if it is my own because it is..

Winning a flag after last year is just too damn important ...

wish like hell that it wasn't but who am I kidding :roll:

Hope that Ross and the boys see this...we need the flame to be reignited..

Thanks for posting and lets hope the momentum builds from here as it must..

keep the faith Sainters :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I will add something. Win it for yourselves.
Don't waste the chance so many others have wasted

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I'm sorry as passionate supporters we deserve nothing from the players. We can ask and we can hope but we can't demand anything.

The fact that we have attached so much emotional attachement and related baggage to a jumper and club is not anyones problem but ours.

To think you deserve a premiership because you have paid a few years membership is not a reason.

In most part we all paid for memberships a little to support the club and alot to get a reserved seat or a leg up at finals tix.

It's funny this dicussion comes up at least once a year on the forum. And it is great to see that people recognise that in the first instance the players need to do it for themselves first.

And yes I have seen 3 gf losses and I am stressed and disappointed and everything else that comes with supporting the saints through good times and bad. But I sure as hell don't deserve anything and I am owed nothing by the club/players

fqf

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Don't deserve anything TSR? That statement seems such a bizarre thing to say.
Year after year we watch supporters of other teams in a state of euphoria, crying tears of joy for what must be, an overwhelming feeling of triumph and unity.
... And your happy for them to have it all, but think we deserve nothing?

I totally agree with everything Punter has written, and I think every genuine long suffering Saints fan would too.

To say WE don't deserve it, is Un-Sainterly[/list]

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Supporters of modern AFL don't deserve a thing.

All they deserve, is to get the appropriate level of entertainment for the money they pay for their ticket.

Saints43
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Supporters of modern AFL don't deserve a thing.

All they deserve, is to get the appropriate level of entertainment for the money they pay for their ticket.
I don't beleive that. The day it's 'entertainment' I'll stop going.

It may be a 'product' to the AFL but I still believe that St Kilda are in a competion that we can win through effort, belief, hard work and support.

Some others have advantages but we have a history of desire that is worth more than corporate advantage.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Supporters of modern AFL don't deserve a thing.

I don't beleive that. The day it's 'entertainment' I'll stop going.

It may be a 'product' to the AFL but I still believe that St Kilda are in a competion that we can win through effort, belief, hard work and support.

Some others have advantages but we have a history of desire that is worth more than corporate advantage.
It's not a competition anymore. Barely even resembles one.

The only competition, is the one that the AFL are in to get the public's entertainment dollars.

If was still a competition based on the effort, belief, hard work and support - we wouldn't hear every day about games being attractive, and everyone wanting the game to be faster and more free flowing.

If it was still a fair dinkum competition, this stuff would be irrelevant.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's not a competition anymore.
When was it more of a 'competition' than it is now?

In the days of zones and brown paper bags?

It is what it is... but the good old days were never as good as some like to remember.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

It is what it is... but the good old days were never as good as some like to remember.
The competition died for me, the day teams left their home suburban grounds.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

Exactly right. People hark back for the good old days - when in fact, footy has never been better. I watched footy from the terraces, and sure there are things that you miss. Now every club has an even chance of competing regardless of wealth. It's more of a competition now than it has ever been. Clubs have to be smarter now than they have ever been. It's not about Carlton waltzing across the border and buying the best talent S.A. have to offer - you actually have to think about every aspect of the footy club. When I grew up the Carlton's and the hawks of this world were never out of the finals. the same 4 clubs competed for the flag and the rest of us were just glad if we made the finals.

AS for the talk of making it more attractive - that's been going on for 50 years. Why do you think they brought in the centre square, and made it illegal to kick the ball out on the full? Rule changes have been brought in since I've been following footy.

The good old days are now! OUr grand kids will be amazed that anyone ever had to stand out in the terraces and watch footy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

1964?

Arthur Mullard
Club Player

Typical whinge fest! SO many St Kilda supporters now believe that its simply a matter of it being "our turn" to get a flag, and all we need to do is turn up to see a win! GET A SODDING GRIP!!!! NOTHING in football is a "given" and only hard work and determination will win the flag.
"Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying" do nothing but provide an opening line for Dusty Springfield...who could have got a game last friday!

Yus my dear!!!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

Grow up Rodg. Move with the times FFS. Was much better standing in the rain and hail watching the saints win 4 games a year? Most of those wins unrecognizable b/c of the gluepot that was Moorabbin?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

I literally just spat my Corn Flakes across the table.

For christ's sake...'The day the music died'... what bulls***... from the keyboard of a bloke who is so anti the existing modern competition that he's contributed 7500 posts to a forum that exists purely and simply because of said modern competition.

Sweet f*****' jesus...

Get back to your pie in the sky betamax memories of good old days 80's when we we were mis-run, underfunded, undersponsored and unable to compete because the rest of the competition stole more than there share mostly by dubious means...

Now THAT was a competition. Lopsided, dominated by the usuals, and oh-so-flipping predictable that you could have listed a top five three years ahead and been spot on...

Oh, but it was SO good when we burgled a game against the odds. Over North Melbourne. Or Fitzroy. You know, those years when 4 wins was a rip-roaring year...

Seriously, how about a Bex and a cup of Bovril, old boy. You clearly need a break from reality...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Finna
Club Player

Re: An open letter to the playing list at the StKFC

ThePunter wrote:Dear players,

What was dished up on Friday night was unacceptable. Against the entitlement monsters from Windy Hill, the players put in a performance that made me feel even sicker, and considering my current bout of flu, I didn't think that was possible.

Now you have to deserve a premiership, and that is what you should be playing for. But, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a hoot whether you deserve it or not. You all earn plenty of money to do something that could only be tenuously described as a job.

No, I'll tell you who deserve it: us. The long suffering, no-questions-asked, supportive members and barrackers of the St Kilda Football Club.

We've seen the prime of blokes like Trevor Barker, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey & Max Hudghton wasted. And that is heartbreaking.

But what about our prime? There are people in their 40s who have never seen St Kilda win a premiership, or even seriously fulfilled their potential. Men and women who have spent both financially and emotionally all they could afford and then some over this thing they have no control over. All because of the very suggestion that one day the seemingly impossible will become reality.

You know someone like me describes it as impossible? You, the players, and the offensive display you made on Friday night. Normally, only umpires get to be that bad in their job and keep it.

So, I couldn't give a horses pitoot whether you think you deserve anything, but I know that I deserve it, and my mother deserves it, and the people who have been sitting in the same seats in front of us at the Docklands for a decade deserve it. We deserve it.

We deserve to look an Essendon supporter in the eye and refer to our success and completely destroy all their world view is built on. To turn the way of things on their head.

We, the supporters of the St Kilda Football Club, have had enough, and it is about time you did something we will be proud of, and the only thing that will satisfy me and my 40,000 closest friends is a premiership.

Get to work boys, and if you so much as cut one corner, stuff up one little thing, get beat by anyone wearing any jumper other than one with red, white and black panels, I'll never forgive you.

Yours angrily

The Punter
Absolute fairly-land post.

The players dont owe you, me or anybody a thing.

Its actually not about us (the supporters), its their trip (the players) and we are simply the observers.

I mean I pay to go to the movies (spend more than the value of a years footy membership over 12 months) but Hollywood doesn't owe me crap. Its entertainment. The players are the stars of the show and we are the audience. Granted - we take it a lot more seriously than that however that is the absolute reality of it.

Seriously if I were a player I would piss myself at those comments.

As others have said if they are not doing it through sheer will and desire for themselves then its not going to happen.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:

What was dished up on Friday night was unacceptable. Against the entitlement monsters from Windy Hill, the players put in a performance that made me feel even sicker, and considering my current bout of flu, I didn't think that was possible.

Now you have to deserve a premiership, and that is what you should be playing for. But, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a hoot whether you deserve it or not. You all earn plenty of money to do something that could only be tenuously described as a job.

No, I'll tell you who deserve it: us. The long suffering, no-questions-asked, supportive members and barrackers of the St Kilda Football Club.

We've seen the prime of blokes like Trevor Barker, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey & Max Hudghton wasted. And that is heartbreaking.

But what about our prime? There are people in their 40s who have never seen St Kilda win a premiership, or even seriously fulfilled their potential. Men and women who have spent both financially and emotionally all they could afford and then some over this thing they have no control over. All because of the very suggestion that one day the seemingly impossible will become reality.

You know someone like me describes it as impossible? You, the players, and the offensive display you made on Friday night. Normally, only umpires get to be that bad in their job and keep it.

So, I couldn't give a horses pitoot whether you think you deserve anything, but I know that I deserve it, and my mother deserves it, and the people who have been sitting in the same seats in front of us at the Docklands for a decade deserve it. We deserve it.

We deserve to look an Essendon supporter in the eye and refer to our success and completely destroy all their world view is built on. To turn the way of things on their head.

We, the supporters of the St Kilda Football Club, have had enough, and it is about time you did something we will be proud of, and the only thing that will satisfy me and my 40,000 closest friends is a premiership.

Get to work boys, and if you so much as cut one corner, stuff up one little thing, get beat by anyone wearing any jumper other than one with red, white and black panels, I'll never forgive you.

Yours angrily

The Punter

Its actually not about us (the supporters), its their trip (the players) and we are simply the observers.

I mean I pay to go to the movies (spend more than the value of a years footy membership over 12 months) but Hollywood doesn't owe me crap. Its entertainment. The players are the stars of the show and we are the audience. Granted - we take it a lot more seriously than that however that is the absolute reality of it.

As others have said if they are not doing it through sheer will and desire for themselves then its not going to happen.
Excellent post.

starsign
Club Player

I just hope the last Saturday in September hurt them just as much as it hurt the rest of us 40,000!!

and if it does ...well work your butts off fellas to make amends.... for ALL of us , including the 40,000 that can't be out there shedding their blood with you!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:

Yours angrily

The Punter

Not sure I agree with this. A good mate of mine who has heard David Parkin talk certainly doesn't. He reckons if you have 22 good players committed to a cause it's a start. He says it's not until the players themselves actually take ownership of the club that they are a genuine chance. By taking ownership he means that blokes get shitty if the rooms they train in are left untidy, if someone arrives late to training, etc. He also mentions that THEY START TO CARE ABOUT WHAT THE SUPPORTERS THINK BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT IT'S THE SUPPORTERS THAT KEEP THE CLUB GOING. Once this is achieved, that they not only acknowledge their supporters but realize that this trip isn't just about them but the bigger picture around them THAT's when you know they're a real chance.

When I first read punters post I thought that maybe it's a bit far fetched as well to expect the players to acknowledge what we're feeling. The more I think about it, the more I reckon the players have to acknowledge that there are 40,000 of us paid up with expectations. We are all stake holders in the club, almost shareholders if you like. Of course the players have to do it for themselves - BUT if they achieve the flag the rewards for them are far far greater for them than they are for us. We all get to feel good. They get far more than that. For a really successful sporting organisation to achieve, they have to acknowledge and feel responsible for the 40,000 people who put their hard earned into the club and allow them to make their dreams possible.