An open letter to the playing list at the StKFC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ThePunter
Club Player

An open letter to the playing list at the StKFC

Dear players,

What was dished up on Friday night was unacceptable. Against the entitlement monsters from Windy Hill, the players put in a performance that made me feel even sicker, and considering my current bout of flu, I didn't think that was possible.

Now you have to deserve a premiership, and that is what you should be playing for. But, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a hoot whether you deserve it or not. You all earn plenty of money to do something that could only be tenuously described as a job.

No, I'll tell you who deserve it: us. The long suffering, no-questions-asked, supportive members and barrackers of the St Kilda Football Club.

We've seen the prime of blokes like Trevor Barker, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey & Max Hudghton wasted. And that is heartbreaking.

But what about our prime? There are people in their 40s who have never seen St Kilda win a premiership, or even seriously fulfilled their potential. Men and women who have spent both financially and emotionally all they could afford and then some over this thing they have no control over. All because of the very suggestion that one day the seemingly impossible will become reality.

You know someone like me describes it as impossible? You, the players, and the offensive display you made on Friday night. Normally, only umpires get to be that bad in their job and keep it.

So, I couldn't give a horses pitoot whether you think you deserve anything, but I know that I deserve it, and my mother deserves it, and the people who have been sitting in the same seats in front of us at the Docklands for a decade deserve it. We deserve it.

We deserve to look an Essendon supporter in the eye and refer to our success and completely destroy all their world view is built on. To turn the way of things on their head.

We, the supporters of the St Kilda Football Club, have had enough, and it is about time you did something we will be proud of, and the only thing that will satisfy me and my 40,000 closest friends is a premiership.

Get to work boys, and if you so much as cut one corner, stuff up one little thing, get beat by anyone wearing any jumper other than one with red, white and black panels, I'll never forgive you.

Yours angrily

The Punter
Last edited by ThePunter on Sun 01 Aug 2010 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Seconded.

Great post. Nothing much more I can add to that!

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will add something. Win it for yourselves.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Re: An open letter to the playing list at the StKFC

ThePunter wrote:Dear players,

What was dished up on Friday night was unacceptable. Against the entitlement monsters from Windy Hill, the players put in a performance that made me feel even sicker, and considering my current bout of flu, I didn't think that was possible.

Now you have to deserve a premiership, and that is what you should be playing for. But, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a hoot whether you deserve it or not. You all earn plenty of money to do something that could only be tenuously described as a job.

No, I'll tell you who deserve it: us. The long suffering, no-questions-asked, supportive members and barrackers of the St Kilda Football Club.

We've seen the prime of blokes like Trevor Barker, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Nathan Burke, Robert Harvey & Max Hudghton wasted. And that is heartbreaking.

But what about our prime? There are people in their 40s who have never seen St Kilda win a premiership, or even seriously fulfilled their potential. Men and women who have spent both financially and emotionally all they could afford and then some over this thing they have no control over. All because of the very suggestion that one day the seemingly impossible will become reality.

You know someone like me describes it as impossible? You, the players, and the offensive display you made on Friday night. Normally, only umpires get to be that bad in their job and keep it.

So, I couldn't give a horses pitoot whether you think you deserve anything, but I know that I deserve it, and my mother deserves it, and the people who have been sitting in the same seats in front of us at the Docklands for a decade deserve it. We deserve it.

We deserve to look an Essendon supporter in the eye and refer to our success and completely destroy all their world view is built on. To turn the way of things on their head.

We, the supporters of the St Kilda Football Club, have had enough, and it is about time you did something we will be proud of, and the only thing that will satisfy me and my 40,000 closest friends is a premiership.

Get to work boys, and if you so much as cut one corner, stuff up one little thing, get beat by anyone wearing any jumper other than one with red, white and black panels, I'll never forgive you.

Yours angrily

The Punter
Beautiful. I'd give you a standing ovation if I could. Made the hairs on the back of the neck stand on end.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

send it to the club

ThePunter
Club Player

Plugger - your comment is pretty contrary to the point of the post.

I couldn't care anymore about how good the players feel. They all get renumerated more than generously.

We deserve it.

St Kilda supporters deserve to know what a premiership feels like.

We deserve our turn at being unbearable to be around, because our team is the best.

We deserve to get a "drover's dog" premiership, like the one the Cats got in 2007. I reckon the 1994 Saints would have given Port Adelaide trouble that day. The 2009 one they earned every bit of it.

We deserve to sit their as the siren sounds to start the last quarter of the Grand Final, and feel completely satisfied about the fact that the Saints, our team and our club, have it in the bag.

Everything else I couldn't care less about.

saint58
Club Player

Fantstic letter from a long suffering supporter who was very young in 66 and only remembers 71,97,09.
Lets do it this year for everyone supporters,players,and most of all the people who love to put the saints down in the media and in general public lets stick it up em all.GO SAINTERS!

Yours angrily

The Punter

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Plugger - your comment is pretty contrary to the point of the post.

I couldn't care anymore about how good the players feel. They all get renumerated more than generously.

We deserve it.

We deserve our turn at being unbearable to be around, because our team is the best.

We deserve to get a "drover's dog" premiership, like the one the Cats got in 2007. I reckon the 1994 Saints would have given Port Adelaide trouble that day. The 2009 one they earned every bit of it.

We deserve to sit their as the siren sounds to start the last quarter of the Grand Final, and feel completely satisfied about the fact that the Saints, our team and our club, have it in the bag.

That is right. Sorry to disappoint you and I am sure plenty of others but we can want it and deserve it all we like but they need to want it. The days of playing for the jumper and the supporters is over. It stopped when the draft started. So if i was a supporter talking to a player I would be saying win it for yourselves. You will have memories that will last forever.

ThePunter
Club Player

It's not supposed to be motivational either. Plenty of $$$ should be enough motivation.

People dance around reality too much. I just beyond annoyed, and it was about time someone spoke the truth.

The players can do what they like - they nearly always do. They'll sit in their bubble, pull a Judd-like media ban and not have any idea what we, the supporters, the ones who do care, have to put up with because of the actions of other people.

We all have a point where we just need to move on in order to protect ourselves.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ThePunter wrote:Plugger - your comment is pretty contrary to the point of the post.

We deserve it.

That is right. Sorry to disappoint you and I am sure plenty of others but we can want it and deserve it all we like but they need to want it. The days of playing for the jumper and the supporters is over. It stopped when the draft started. So if i was a supporter talking to a player I would be saying win it for yourselves. You will have memories that will last forever.
14 signed up at once. I'd suggest you are understating the collective pride this group have in their jumper. But, yes, a degree of selfishness ain't a bad thing. A life filled with regret for wasted opportunity is no life.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Leo.J
SS Life Member

No one deserves anything... you earn it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:No one deserves anything... you earn it.
YES x infinity.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote: Plenty of $$$ should be enough motivation.

From that I assume that you do not know any elite sportspeople????

If our players are to rely solely on the motivation of $$$$ in the finals we are screwed already, for I am sure that other teams will be motivated by more powerful motivators.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
markp
Saintsational Legend

There are people in their 40s who have never seen St Kilda win a premiership
That should have them choking back the tears.

No one 'deserves' shyte.

People are acting like we just got flogged in a qualifying final... it was round freaking 18.

We will finish top 4. We will be ready.

HTFU.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

No one 'deserves' shyte.

People are acting like we just got flogged in a qualifying final... it was round freaking 18.

HTFU.
Computer knowledge terrible. HTFU?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great letter Punter.....but you forgot to add Plugger.

It's a disgrace we didn't win a flag with a person that great in our team either.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great letter Punter.....but you forgot to add Plugger.

It's a disgrace we didn't win a flag with a person that great in our team either.

Some serious digit extraction is required

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ThePunter
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:No one deserves anything... you earn it.
So how many more memberships do I have to buy before I earn it?

How much do our long suffering fan base need to do before we earn it?

What have Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney & West Coast supporters during the time I've been following footy to deserve seeing their team win a premiership more than us?

The players have earned diddly. The supporters deserve plenty.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

No one 'deserves' shyte.

HTFU.
HARDEN THE f*** UP? Just a guess.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

We deserve it.

Agree. As much as we all want them to win it for us, if they don't want to win it for themselves, they never will. Its that want that will give them the extra motiviation to do whatever it takes to get there. I'm sure that desire etc will be tested in them by the coaching staff this week. How much do they want this??? Being a premiership player is something that cannot be replaced. They were a kick away from it last year. We can only hope they can find something inside themselves to fight for it this year. They know how important it is to all of us. The coach mentions it regularly. But if they can't find the desire within, for their own benefit, it just won't happen.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
FQF
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

No one 'deserves' shyte.

HTFU.

yes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

No one 'deserves' shyte.

HTFU.
Thanks. I have no idea about a lot of things but especially the new texting.

older saint
SS Life Member

Frustate clearly punter but i do not feel you as a supportr or any of us "deserve" a premiership.

All you can ask is effort - which was lacking on Friday night, and that needs to be unconditional. Your right to this as a member exists regardless of whether you are a 1 year or 50 year member.

if the player and coaches give best effort each week you cannot ask for more than that- and i am confident with this group that will be enough that the results will take care of themselves, if the processes are followed.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I just want a premiership, nothing less will do, I have seen the top of the mountain and I want to stand on it, just once in my life.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Yours angrily

The Punter
Great Post punter. I hope you don't mind dude, but I have sent this in an e-mail to Ross Lyon. I am assuming his e-mail is rossl@saints.com.au I sent an e-mail to Ross a couple of weeks before Dal Santo and Milne were dropped a couple of years ago and it never bounced back to me, so I am assuming that he received it, whether he read it or not is another matter!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss