Lets stop with excuses....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lets stop with excuses....

Ive heard training loads, implosions or simply getting ahead of ourselves but bottom line is tonight we were simply inept,weak, slow,lazy.

A truly gutless effort - surrounded by laughing Bombers fans "is this a top 4 side" ringing in my ears all you could do was sit there and wonder........they have a point. What an embarrassment.

Tonight was THE night the club stood up and said (to a side whose been woeful this year and on the verge of meltdown) we aint your b!tches. But we bent over.

Facts are we have ALWAYS struggled against a smallish/mid sized fwd line. Carlton exposed us, Collingwood too. Our finals opponents should know this if they have half a brain. Our defenders simply dont like 1 out defence - so now opposition sides are getting them 1 out and we are being found out. Did Sam Fisher play tonight?

Our centre clearance/stoppage work was disgusting. To me, dont blame fwds/backs etc....just sit back and watch Essendon take the ball away time and again while we fumbled/fell over....pathetic. Still, everyone will blame Kosi...

Ball movement - stunted, slow build ups, missing targets......has been going for the last few weeks. I feel for our fwds.......by the time the ball is kicked to their shoe laces they are usually surrounded by 3 opposition.

Lastly tonight was a weird game. Look at our top line players stats - Gram, Hayes et al and you think "gee they had good games" look at their impact.....watch the game....and they had little effect. Why? - cause they have a bottom third of a side who simply are battlers for support. I dont need to name them - we all know them - facts are lately they have just gone awol way to often.......Im not convinced the "battlers" can get the job done to be honest in the heat of the moment.

Weve been smashed by Pies, got lucky against Hawks (really a loss if your honest) and have been embarrased by a bottom 8 side THE LAST 3 TIMES WE HAVE PLAYED THEM.

Where has the harrassing, chasing tackling pressure of 09 gone? WTF changed here?

The Pies, Cats etc have now improved their defences too AND they can attack. We cant. Geelong in 5 mins of football can turn round a 7 goal deficit......we went inside 50 at one stage 16 times for something like a 40% conversion rate...............just inept.

Right now talks of Flags are pipe dreams.
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 31 Jul 2010 12:41am, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why, because SEN talked prematch about how a statement game was neccessary, because Tom Harley thought this was the night to make a statement, because everyone was talking about a statement?

What am I missing, the ONLY statement that needs to be made by this St Kilda side is in September....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why, because SEN talked prematch about a statement game was neccessary, because Tom Harley thought this was the night to make a statement, because everyone was talking about a statement?

What am I missing, the ONLY statement that needs to be made by this St Kilda side is in September....

We played a bottom 8 side that has dominated us last 3 times - embarrassingly so - and you dont see the need for this side to stand up?

I dont have time to explain to people who are clearly comfortable with mediocrity. Good for you.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:Why, because SEN talked prematch about a statement game was neccessary, because Tom Harley thought this was the night to make a statement, because everyone was talking about a statement?

We played a bottom 8 side that has dominated us last 3 times - embarrassingly so - and you dont see the need for this side to stand up?

I dont have time to explain to people who are clearly comfortable with mediocrity. Good for you.
Where did I say that exactly?

Warned everyone that our run home was no walk in the park, stick by it....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Where did I say that exactly?

Warned everyone that our run home was no walk in the park, stick by it....
Havent got time to play semantics with you - go find Rogerfox and sit back and sip on that mediocrity.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't want a discussion, don't start a thread.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Don't want a discussion, don't start a thread.
You offer no discussion - just semantics. Be gone little man.

“Yeah….nah””
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Have to make a statement now if we want to make a statement in September.
The way we are playing we wont finish top 4, then you can kiss that September statement goodbye.
We need to start winning, with good scores and win by big margins to gain confidence, belief and momentum.
Right now, we aren't even in the premiership race.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Ajer
Club Player

Come on guys, i think we are all entitled to feel a bit down after tonight and rightfully so, but i think some of us are carrying on a bit.

We had a shocker of a game, but look at the positive side. We're still top four and thats probably where we will remain. We'll draw either Collingwood or Geelong in our first final and we've beaten both those sides this year and i think we would go in with confidence in those matches.

This is a small bump in the road, have faith Sainters.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Have to make a statement now if we want to make a statement in September.
The way we are playing we wont finish top 4, then you can kiss that September statement goodbye.
We need to start winning, with good scores and win by big margins to gain confidence, belief and momentum.
Right now, we aren't even in the premiership race.
Finally some good discussion.

Thats also my concern - we aint gaining that confidence 4 weeks out from finals that some decent score board pressure would bring. Tonight was ideal against a bogey side to attack, kick a big score and let all know this has the ability to attack and defend. Instead we floundered up fwd again and went to Roo 9/10 times......so obvious.

“Yeah….nah””
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
You don't appear to want discussion you just seem to want a group venting session.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Why isn't it discussion to say that I want the team to play it's best footy in September, we did the complete opposite last year, and that didn't work out so great.

Everyone said the wheels had fallen off Geelong at the same time last year, because they were prepared to play underdone players into form even at the expense of H&A losses and everyone washing hands of them.

I don't play semantics, I am not a man, and I am actually quite tall :P

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Teflon wrote:
You don't appear to want discussion you just seem to want a group venting session.
And you clealry weighed in for a blue?......most un-vulcan like of you..

Show me the merits of discussing tonight as "just not important" or as a game where we didnt really have to turn up and play well cause it "didnt really matter??....

You see, Im all for discussion - just no time for stupidity and people trying to play the glass half full stuff with illogical nonsense, then reverting to semantics of "show me where I said that" when they are called on it.

Lets have a discussion based on some form of logic yeah?

Spok wouldv'e been proud.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Why isn't it discussion to say that I want the team to play it's best footy in September, we did the complete opposite last year, and that didn't work out so great.

Everyone said the wheels had fallen off Geelong at the same time last year, because they were prepared to play underdone players into form even at the expense of H&A losses and everyone washing hands of them.

Geelong had top 4 guaranteed. We are trying to lose. We jusy arent good enough. Time to get rid of those rose coloured glasses. It isnt all over but we arent playing well enough to win a final at the moment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

So lets explore that logic.

Then in your world there is no need for this side to turn up and play with any sense of urgency or win prior to September - cause we are just gonna magically "make it happen" in September????

In your world we have top 4 sewn up already? Not mine.

In your world tonight was "just an off night" so too the Collingwood smashing we copped.....(thank god the umps gave us a draw last week...thatd be 3 losses in a row).

In your world - there was nothing to be gained by standing up to a side thats now beaten us 3 times in a row and officially owns us??

Tell me honestly, do you believe we do not need to stand up between now and the finals, make a statement, play some good football and gain some confidence?

If you do believe in the above statement - your original repsonse is a nonsense and we've never really had a ......discussion.

Well done for not being a man.

“Yeah….nah””
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with you Teflon.

I'd like to be adopting a glass half-full attitude to this mess our beloved club is in, but when you look at the core, the truth hurts. We are in big trouble.

Our so called 'fortress' defence looks weak, disorganised and about a four out of ten chance (at best) in a one on one. Hayes is doing EVERYTHING in the packs. While we can cut Roo some slack, do we even have crumbers? I wont argue about Kosi.

The inconvenient truth is that if you really are a premiership contender, you win these matches. Cats and Pies would have smashed them. It's this stage of the year that we should be close to our best form, not at the back of a two and half game losing streak. Don't try arguing about the Cats last season, even in their slump, they still beat opposition they should beat.

We don't even look like top four, let alone potential premiers.

EVERYTHING was in our favour last season and we still couldn't take home the chocolates. I fear we may not get another chance.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Sat 31 Jul 2010 2:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Bad management is bad management
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Then in your world there is no need for this side to turn up and play with any sense of urgency or win prior to September - cause we are just gonna magically "make it happen" in September????

In your world tonight was "just an off night" so too the Collingwood smashing we copped.....(thank god the umps gave us a draw last week...thatd be 3 losses in a row).

In your world - there was nothing to be gained by standing up to a side thats now beaten us 3 times in a row and officially owns us??

Tell me honestly, do you believe we do not need to stand up between now and the finals, make a statement, play some good football and gain some confidence?

If you do believe in the above statement - your original repsonse is a nonsense and we've never really had a ......discussion.

There were no positives tonight, there were even less when we played Collingwood.

Of course it's incredibly crappy to lose to Essendon, I was just wondering why tonight had to be the statement night? We lost, no reason why it now can't it be Port, North, Richmond and Adelaide that incurs our wrath.

Please don't confuse that with an "I am so proud of you anyway' attitude.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

No excuses.

We were out played, out ran, out gunned, out efforted (not a word but roll with me here), out skilled and out muscled by a side who turned up to play football.

It just seems that most weeks our boys just show up and expect magic to happen without any effort whatsoever. We got towled all over the ground by the side ranked 12th who have been woeful most of the year.

Collingwood, Geelong and the Bulldogs must be licking their chops at a chance to play THIS St Kilda come September. If the REAL St Kilda, the side who took Geelong apart a month or so ago actually mosey back into the picture instead of the insipid, pathetic, gutless mob of hacks that disgraced the jumper out there tonight we might make a run at the flag

But thats a big IF

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

There were no positives tonight, there were even less when we played Collingwood.

Of course it's incredibly crappy to lose to Essendon, I was just wondering why tonight had to be the statement night? We lost, no reason why it now can't it be Port, North, Richmond and Adelaide that incurs our wrath.

Please don't confuse that with an "I am so proud of you anyway' attitude.
We've been owned by this sides free running game plan the last 3 times (a bottom 8 side on verge of implosion cause they have been so woeful) - and you see no merit in standing up to that?

Fair enough.

Hope we dont run out of H/A games before simply clicking our fingers and deciding "its time" to have a go...but then...theres always next week......yeah?....... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””