Farren Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Farren Ray

Can we sign him already! Hes fast becoming one of my favourite players. I see him as leadership grouper & 200 gamer for saints. Certainly will be a top 10 B & F finisher for years to come. SIGN HIM!

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed!

I love the man with a first name for a last name and a last name for a first name.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't rate him as highly as others on this forum...

I am yet to see him play really well in a losing team, or winning team that has struggled.

IMO he only plays well when those around him are playing well.

Last years finals campaign... 3 tough, sluggish matches = no impact from Ray

Take our losses this year, Port, Essendon, Carlton, Colingwood. Farren unsighted in all of those games.

The boys got talent but in terms of impact... he reminds of a slightly better version of Aaron Fiora

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see him signed also, been very good again this year, but he not someone that Ross has thrown up as a potential leader is he?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Personally I don't rate him as highly as others on this forum...

I am yet to see him play really well in a losing team, or winning team that has struggled.

Take our losses this year, Port, Essendon, Carlton, Colingwood. Farren unsighted in all of those games.

The boys got talent but in terms of impact... he reminds of a slightly better version of Aaron Fiora
well you dont have to look back far. try his game last weekend against the hawks. played awesome in the heat of battle when we were losing and they had the momentum (watch the replay of the 3rd quarter if u dont believe me). along with schneids he kept us in it. was in many peoples votes on saintsational from last weeks game.

hes a darn good footballer. not to be compared with the fizzer. when he first came to the club i had a similar opinion of him (here we go again with fizzer mark 2 ) but now im an unabashed fan. hes a seriously good player and improving. im amazed more SS people arent supporting him more.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

well you dont have to look back far. try his game last weekend against the hawks. played awesome in the heat of battle when we were losing and they had the momentum (watch the replay of the 3rd quarter if u dont believe me). along with schneids he kept us in it. was in many peoples votes on saintsational from last weeks game.

hes a darn good footballer. not to be compared with the fizzer. when he first came to the club i had a similar opinion of him (here we go again with fizzer mark 2 ) but now im an unabashed fan. hes a seriously good player and improving. im amazed more SS people arent supporting him more.
Ray was our second best behind Lenny in the game v Carlton (look at POY votes) and didn't play v Port.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
noob
Club Player

I'm pretty sure with all our losses, we all found it hard to actually fit 5 players in votes of the week..

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Does he need signing?

I thought he had a year to run...

I may be wrong though.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Does he need signing?

I may be wrong though.
u might be right. in which case im happy. saintbrat knows all the contract dates...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Does he need signing?

I may be wrong though.
u might be right. in which case im happy. saintbrat knows all the contract dates...

SaintWal
Club Player

Safe Hands.

That is what I think when he runs back to take a contested mark. Safe Hands.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ray was our second best behind Lenny in the game v Carlton (look at POY votes) and didn't play v Port.
I'll take the point RE Carlton but against Hawthorn, the team didn't play appaling football all night... a number of the regular guns played ok

I don't have anything personal against the guy... I actually like him... think he's an ok player but he ain't no gun (at the moment).

Deep down...
Do you really think Farren Ray will be the guy to stand up under pressure during the grand final to turn the tide...
I don't.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

I seem to recall Ray being more consistent last year.

Has played a few blinders this year and his effort last week was impressive seeing as we are getting towards the business end of the season.

What will be next from this club ?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Deep down...
Do you really think Farren Ray will be the guy to stand up under pressure during the grand final to turn the tide...
I don't.
His finals series last season was poor, so he still definitely has a point to prove IMO. I think he's a terrific player, but will reserve judgement until he shows it in a final.

Same goes for Milne, Kosi and a few others.

It's interesting who steps up. Who would have thought Gram would have been our best in the big one. Would have won the Norm Smith had we prevailed.

sainta
Club Player

Gram likes the big games, he won the Michael Tuck in 08 from memory.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:Gram likes the big games, he won the Michael Tuck in 08 from memory.
What's that for? BOG in the pre-season?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Thinnest player?

Or maybe rhyming slang for the off field benefits that may follow a best on effort?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Hard markers in this thread.

Finals series was fine, nearly 30 touches against Collingwood, and solid but unspectacular in the other 2 games. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to be ashamed of.

Very good overhead, good runner, acceptable 2-sided disposer of the ball.

Willing to put his head over it (which was a surprise for me - his last year of the bulldog he had the lowest contested ball rate in the AFL!) and get his hands dirty.

Solid 2-way player, occasionally more than that.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Finna
Club Player

Maybe the fact we lose when he doesn't play well is saying something!

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
PJ
SS Life Member

Thinnest player?
Hilarious Michael Tuck = stringy chook

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintluke
Club Player

Not sure there is a midfielder with a better overhead mark! Maybe bartell... but he is up there!