Round 18 Teams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Lynch getting his first game.
Let's hope he get's a feel for it early.
10 possessions and a goal in a winning team would be a good first game.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Go lynchy. Great news on tom's selection. Despite the ramblings of discontented posters, I've no doubt he is our missing link - mobile, tall third target with good disposal. A lovett without the flair. Perhaps a saints version of bate. Either would suffice! Best of luck Tom
Was hoping for that in the preseason. I really, really hope he takes this chance.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely wish Lynch all the best. It's terrific to see a draft pick come through and crack the elite level. Maybe he'll look better than the average medium tall I've seen the three times I've watched Sandy this year. Could be a product of poor disposal in a s*** side of course. Maybe cleaner delivery will make him a better player and/or a player worthy of the big talk he gets. He'll have to work his arse off, though. Those Essendon defenders are athletic and have some toe.

In terms of balance, I like our fwd set up this week (at least on paper).

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Exciting.

Sometimes even the best can look average at a lower level so his current VFL form doesn't bother me.

Could be the start of something special.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Exciting.

Sometimes even the best can look average at a lower level so his current VFL form doesn't bother me.

Could be the start of something special.

Couldn't agree more Beej.

Take a look at Gwilt at VFL level and you'd wonder what all the fuss is about.

As I recall the Australian Cricket Selectors also took a punt on Shane Warne and Simon O'Donnell who both performed better at National level than at State level.

I think there's a lot to like about Tommy regardless of what he's shown to date. :D

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like Lynch has been named in the best in each of his last four games.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like Lynch has been named in the best in each of his last four games.
Some posters never let the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like Lynch has been named in the best in each of his last four games.

Yes you have it wrong and the Saints have no future or young players.

Ben, Steven and Lynch playing in the team are all imaginary....

...or so the theme of many posts this week have been.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Correct.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info. ... 74-9815583

GoTheTorp
Club Player

bigred wrote:Good luck Lynch.

Seems to me we swapped a bloke in the seniors who was doing F*** all with a bloke in the magoos who has been doing F*** all.

:shock:
Obviously you know F*** all

go check his stats

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:

Seems to me we swapped a bloke in the seniors who was doing F*** all with a bloke in the magoos who has been doing F*** all.

go check his stats
Great. A forward who'd kicked two goals. That puts him on par with Nathan Ablett who has GENUINELY done f*** all for GC in the VFL.

Maybe YOU know f*** all.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
StNoodles
Club Player

Often see the big fella at my local supermarket. Good on him, hope he kicks a couple in a solid win.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
GoTheTorp wrote:

go check his stats
Great. A forward who'd kicked two goals. That puts him on par with Nathan Ablett who has GENUINELY done f*** all for GC in the VFL.

Maybe YOU know f*** all.
Hey keyboard hero i watch Sandy most weeks and he goes ok averaging 20+ possies mostyl by foot named in the top players last 3 games so that 2 of you know F*** all.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Lynch has been named among the best for Sandy a fair bit lately, and therefore deserves his promotion. However, Sandy hasn't been going so well, which is why I don't think we should put a huge weight of expectation on the lad's shoulders.

As I said, I hope he goes ok but will forgive him if he doesn't. Many AFL debuts are pretty forgettable.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Get over yourself and think before you ejaculate words, Torp guy.

I've only seen him/them three times this year, granted. I do live in Queensland, though

Each time he's impressed with his endeavour, but his disposal has been poor and for a forward he (obviously) isn't much of a scoring threat.

So my point, if you'll allow me to have one (although something tells me you're the kind of guy who spends a lot of time talking and not a lot listening) is that if people are expecting some kind of three goal a game mid sized forward messiah, they ain't gonna get one.

They're simply getting another hard toiling forward. Mini, only not, well, mini.
Last edited by Thinline on Thu 29 Jul 2010 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly. Some on here look to be talking some seriously ignorant s***. He's been just about the only one of those on our senior list to have been mentioned in the best for Sandy in the past month. That side is obviously struggling in a big way, and usually only those with real character do well in teams that aren't doing well.
None of this is any surprise, though, given the fact he was seen fit to be made captain of Vic Metro in the U18 Championships and was drafted in the first round.
Hope you have a great one, Tom.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 29 Jul 2010 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
GoTheTorp
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Get over yourself and think before you ejaculate words, champ.

I've only seen him/them three times this year, granted. I do live in Queensland, though

Each time he's impressed with his endeavour, but his disposal has been poor and for a forward he (obviously) isn't much of a scoring threat.

So my point, if you'll allow me to have one (although something tells me you're the kind of guy who spends a lot of time talking and not a lot listening) is that if people are expecting some kind of three goal a game mid sized forward messiah, they ain't gonna get one.

They're simply getting another hard toiling forward. Mini, only not, well, mini.
Thats right you've seen 3 games on TV in queensland i rest my case

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:

Seen 'em live, mate. Planes, you know. The ones that fly. I catch them sometimes.

And - to rest my case - I used the word GRANTED at the end of the relevant sentence. You know. As in a CONCESSION that I may not be the best qualified to comment. Understand that?

So explain to me, then, what you see Lynch's role to be?

Or do you just mouth off irrationally?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:

Has at least seen him play and yes I know you have seen him more but surely he is entilted to an opinion or do we all just have exactly the same opinion on each subject. That would be exciting.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
GoTheTorp wrote:

Has at least seen him play and yes I know you have seen him more but surely he is entilted to an opinion or do we all just have exactly the same opinion on each subject. That would be exciting.
I haven't seen much of him at all,so i'll reserve my opinion for a while.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

To clarify (for absolute watertight certainty for those feeling a little insecure about their blind hero worship):

IMO Lynch works really hard. He will bust his guts. IMO his disposal can let him down. IMO he certainly doesn't provide a scoring avenue. IMO, especially against a long running desire by some in ST K land for a goal pinching mid sizer, if people are expecting a 'goal rush' from the new boy they're probably going to be disappointed. On the numbers it's a fair 'IMO' to have.

That said I hope the guy kicks 10 straight, lays twenty effective tackles, makes his direct opponent look like an amateur and gets 3 Brownlow votes.

Good luck to him.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I've seen him play both live and on TV this year and on TV last year and the year before that (for Vic Metro) and have been impressed with him. As someone else said, he can play the Matthew Bate type of role across half forward and is probably the best suited to that role for us (apart from Goddard) since Aaron Hamill last played for us. That's why we targeted him, apparently.
Given the fact that it's his second year with us now and that he's got some games under his belt, after missing a few, there's no reason he couldn't do well and keep his spot into the finals.
It would be hard to do less than Mini has been and with Milne, Schneider and Jack there already, this gives us a better size balance, I reckon. I was very happy to see the named team this week. I was almost as happy to see a bunch of speed exiting the Essendon side.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 29 Jul 2010 9:31pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I've only seen him/them three times this year, granted. I do live in Queensland, though

Should slot straight into our team then! :lol:

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
GoTheTorp wrote:

Seen 'em live, mate. Planes, you know. The ones that fly. I catch them sometimes.

And - to rest my case - I used the word GRANTED at the end of the relevant sentence. You know. As in a CONCESSION that I may not be the best qualified to comment. Understand that?

So explain to me, then, what you see Lynch's role to be?

Or do you just mouth off irrationally?
Take deep breathes count to 10, agression is too energy sapping, its no good for you keyboard legends, you break keys or your subtle fingers, settle back have another drink who cares? not me.

Lynch's role will be to get some senior experience as a reward for playing some good games for Sandy, what else would it be?

Oh and the great Plugger!! i am overwhelmingly underawed by our overrated presence petal :roll: The debate had nothing to do with you, or did someone flush the bogger and up you popped?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

GoTheTorp wrote: Oh and the great Plugger!! i am overwhelmingly underawed by our overrated presence petal :roll: The debate had nothing to do with you, or did someone flush the bogger and up you popped?
Don't you know he needs to feel like the centre of attention?