Free kick against runner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Free kick against runner

Just copied this from Bigfooty so it must be true
Actually, being an umpire I can confirm the rule is as follows:

If a player is having a shot for goal and their own runner runs through the mark, the player having a shot still has his shot.... If an opposition player runs through the mark that is 50m... Kosi should have been allowed the shot on goal.. Extremely poor decision, they should know better
According to the laws of the game a free shall be paid if:
an Official of the Team or such other person of the Team
who may from time to time be permitted onto the Playing
Surface, intentionally, recklessly or negligently interferes
with the football, a Player of the opposition Team, an
Umpire or general play;

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

LODGE A PROTEST IMMEDIATELY!!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Beej
Saintsational Legend

That's a massive blunder from the umpire.

He really should be suspended for a week for getting something like that wrong.

Disgraceful.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:That's a massive blunder from the umpire.

He really should be suspended for a week for getting something like that wrong.

Disgraceful.
Its a case for promotion to management, I believe.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Our local club got one against us last week. if you are having a shot no runner can be in the 50. Just dumb and I reckon RL would have been pissed but probably not as pissed as Clarkson.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Our local club got one against us last week. if you are having a shot no runner can be in the 50. Just dumb and I reckon RL would have been pissed but probably not as pissed as Clarkson.
But the thing is that he was not interfering in any play Kosi was still going back to get ready for the kick.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Our local club got one against us last week. if you are having a shot no runner can be in the 50. Just dumb and I reckon RL would have been pissed but probably not as pissed as Clarkson.
But the thing is that he was not interfering in any play Kosi was still going back to get ready for the kick.
Question is why would you risk it? Because you reckon you've got a better handle on technicalities than the ump?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Not allowed in when having a shot at goal because you could be taking up space.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

If our runner was in the wrong, it was stupidity of the highest order.

I can take it if the play moves towards the runner and he gets stuck near the ball, but this was a set shot!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:If our runner was in the wrong, it was stupidity of the highest order.

I can take it if the play moves towards the runner and he gets stuck near the ball, but this was a set shot!
The runner was wrong.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

What about a runner who is giving a player water, or a message, or medical attention? 50m penalty? Does seem strange, certainly, the commentary team thought it was an incorrect decision.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:What about a runner who is giving a player water, or a message, or medical attention? 50m penalty? Does seem strange, certainly, the commentary team thought it was an incorrect decision.
You cant do any of that when you are having a shot at goal. Medical attention is obviously different.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Was it paid because the runner was inside the 50 or because the runner ran through the mark?

If the latter, I sympathise with the runner to an extent because Kosi's run-up is ridiculously long and those runners are in a constant frenzy trying to remember crucial messages and who to relay them to.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Was it paid because the runner was inside the 50 or because the runner ran through the mark?

If the latter, I sympathise with the runner to an extent because Kosi's run-up is ridiculously long and those runners are in a constant frenzy trying to remember crucial messages and who to relay them to.
Would you prefer he adopts Rougheads run up?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:What about a runner who is giving a player water, or a message, or medical attention? 50m penalty? Does seem strange, certainly, the commentary team thought it was an incorrect decision.
not sure that's true. they thought it was unjust, but i don't think any of them have a handle on the minutiae of the rules so they wouldn't know if it was incorrect or not.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:If our runner was in the wrong, it was stupidity of the highest order.

The runner was wrong.
Can you quote the rule that is different to what is in the OP?
That way we will all be the wiser.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The runner was wrong.
Can you quote the rule that is different to what is in the OP?
That way we will all be the wiser.
He isnt allowed in the 50 when having a shot. Ask any umpire or RL. He seemed to agree the runner was an idiot.

lendog heaven
Club Player

on my counting that's the third time this year our runner has cost us possession - he needs to be more aware of what's going on - running that close to kosi and the hawthorn dude was fraught with danger - we deserved to get penalised, much as it irks me to say it.

Tramps like us.............
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Jiggster wants to know just ONE thing; the runners name wouldn't happen be Peter Hoare would it? Because this runner is becoming a bigger serial pest!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ace
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Was it paid because the runner was inside the 50 or because the runner ran through the mark?

The message is NOT crucial, being aware of what is going on in the play, and especially a set on shot on goal IS crucial.
The runners failure was so crucial that it was the difference between winning and a draw.
As of course were other errors the players and umpires made.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Runners do not give medical attention to players. It is not their job.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

lendog heaven wrote:on my counting that's the third time this year our runner has cost us possession - he needs to be more aware of what's going on - running that close to kosi and the hawthorn dude was fraught with danger - we deserved to get penalised, much as it irks me to say it.
We have two runners and this was not the one who infringed last time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintnick12
Club Player

Ivy was on SEN at the end of Ross' interview and they said to her "do you have anything to say to Ross", and she said "Do something about the stupid runner" Everyone laughed. Ross said something, though couldn't hear it over the laughing. He was certainly annoyed by another Runner incident and in his post match they asked him and he said he had given feedback....immediately!!

Feels like the 5th or 6th time its happened rather than the third. Though only one other was in such a bad time like last night. I think the others had less impact on the game. Also we have two runners and the one last night was not the same one as the last two.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i want someone hanged by the balls for that......umpire ...or trainer....which one was in the wrong ffs????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

but why was he ...alone amongst 50000 fans......unaware that kossi was kicking for goal....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.