Pretty lucky to get away with a draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Pretty lucky to get away with a draw

IMO

They won the midfield battle and they missed quite a few gettable shots, while we nailed almost all of ours.

Spirited effort by our guys.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Great hit out though. A game like that will do us wonders entering the finals.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Pretty unlucky not to have won last week too, 6.16. :?

nuttsy
Club Player

we were very lucky to get 2 points. You could see the look on the hawks supporters after the game, they were the one's feeling robbed

degruch
Saintsational Legend

nuttsy wrote:we were very lucky to get 2 points. You could see the look on the hawks supporters after the game, they were the one's feeling robbed
They expected our backline to pass more to the Hawks forwards?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

feel robbed, I feel robbed cos one of our best negaters is sitting in the stands because of the most biased tribunal finding ever. how handy would he have been tonight.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:feel robbed, I feel robbed cos one of our best negaters is sitting in the stands because of the most biased tribunal finding ever. how handy would he have been tonight.
His kinda game, wasn't it.

You take the two and move on. We can take much out of that. Fortify with the galvanising knowledge that your team mates around you NEVER give in and work on the relatively simple, rectifiable things that would have improved our output considerably. Spoiling on the f****** goal line. Set ups at stoppages. Eliminating panic turnover kicks out of defence. Hawks leave that game in the knowledge that they will probably fall two points short of the four and also knowing that they basically folded up the deck chairs and basically choked. Could be the end of their run, especially with Buddy woefully inactive post his 'hammie.'

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
mullet wrote:feel robbed, I feel robbed cos one of our best negaters is sitting in the stands because of the most biased tribunal finding ever. how handy would he have been tonight.
His kinda game, wasn't it.

You take the two and move on. We can take much out of that. Fortify with the galvanising knowledge that your team mates around you NEVER give in and work on the relatively simple, rectifiable things that would have improved our output considerably. Spoiling on the f****** goal line. Set ups at stoppages. Eliminating panic turnover kicks out of defence. Hawks leave that game in the knowledge that they will probably fall two points short of the four and also knowing that they basically folded up the deck chairs and basically choked. Could be the end of their run, especially with Buddy woefully inactive post his 'hammie.'
Yeah I posted during last quarter that no matter what happens it is a great game to get under your belt before finals. Bakes would have been licking his lips sitting in the stands. Who do you reckon he would have taken tonight

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote: Who do you reckon he would have taken tonight
ALL OF THEM

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

We were lucky to have Dal Santo sitting on the bench for half the night trying to stop the blood flowing.

We were lucky that runner ran across the mark when Kosi was lining up for goal.

We were lucky that Luke Hodge is allowed to drop the ball every time he is tackled.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
mullet wrote: Who do you reckon he would have taken tonight
ALL OF THEM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

philtee
Club Player

Slaughtered by umpiring decisions in first five minutes of last quarter.
That's why the Hawks popped out to a 2-goal lead.
The interchange infringement was a case of return Karma
A draw is probably a fair result.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

The umps noticed every minor infraction we made, but never seem to see theirs. I'm one-eyed I know, but the umpiring seemed very one way.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Slaughtered by umpiring decisions in first five minutes of last quarter.
That play on advantage was wrong. The guy who ran in to kick the goal was no where near where the free was paid. Ball spilled out to him after the whistle was blown. I can guarantee if that was milne with the ball it would have been called back.

And 50 to buddy when he runs off his line kicking for goal. FFS

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
I agree, but I do have a vague memory of his angular approach being deemed 'his natural kicking action' or something...

nuttsy
Club Player

mullet wrote:
philtee wrote:Slaughtered by umpiring decisions in first five minutes of last quarter.
That play on advantage was wrong. The guy who ran in to kick the goal was no where near where the free was paid. Ball spilled out to him after the whistle was blown. I can guarantee if that was milne with the ball it would have been called back.

you could hear the umpire on the teli state that it was buddy's natural arc. since when does he have his own rules???

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

nuttsy wrote:
mullet wrote:

you could hear the umpire on the teli state that it was buddy's natural arc. since when does he have his own rules???
Indeed. That one before half time the ump was adamant that he not leave a straight line, but the one Joey got pinged for was different...somehow...

mullet
Saintsational Legend

nuttsy wrote:
mullet wrote:

Seriously, they are kidding arent they.

philtee
Club Player

That 50 to Franklin...
Just seconds before, Gram had looked to the umpire, to ask "Am I OK standing here?", and the umpire said nothing.
Franklin moved off his line, and that's when the umpire thought Gram was too close.
Work that out please. I can't.

Legendary
Club Player

Hawthorns first 2 goals 2 behinds of the last quarter directly from the umpires. Two of the four decisions very dubious. Think we deserved the draw ...

mullet
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:That 50 to Franklin...
Just seconds before, Gram had looked to the umpire, to ask "Am I OK standing here?", and the umpire said nothing.
Franklin moved off his line, and that's when the umpire thought Gram was too close.
Work that out please. I can't.
Yep I have seen someone come from behind and grab milne as he ran into kick over the mark and it was holding the ball

Just wish the umps would put the whistle away. too many frees paid tonight

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring was dreadful but Hawthorn were better than us tonight.

They looked faster, hungrier, more determined and with more match-winners.

We pretty much dogged it after 3 qtr time - save for Milne's persistence - and looked inept on our own turf.

Let's be honest, we were saved by a fluke.

Performances like that won't win premierships. We have much to improve upon before September.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintluke
Club Player

I disagree...

The hawks dropped/threw the ball most times they were tackled, the buddy 50 because his natural arc takes him half way across the stadium, the free kick he got when he tripped over because of the shitty surface... kosi disallowed because of our runner... a 50 metre penalty because the ump paid a mark after a 7 metre kick (resulted in a point).

And yes they were unlucky not to covert better and the i/c infringement, but thems the rules.

The hawks really got away with a lot of dropping the ball, and was it just my imagination but were the umpires prepared to let stoppages go until a hawk simply walked up and stripped the ball.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The umpires should be shot.

How dare they start to pay holding the farking ball only in the last term?

Once they realised they had cruicified Milney twice, they gave us a few soft ones in return to balance the books.

Disgraceful umpiring tonight both from a St Kilda and Hawthorn perspective.

So what do we have tonight:

(1) No winners

(2) No losers

(3) Deplorable umpiring

(4) Unsafe surface

And....

(5) A great game of footy despite all that!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Buddy's kick for goal on 3/4 time.

The umpire clearly said if you run off your line it will be play on. He runs off his line, NOT his natural angle as so clearly pointed out in the last quarter, but the kick stands and the point stands.

Furtius Quo Rdelious