Please bring back Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Please bring back Stanley

I feel we should bring back Stanley as a leading forward he is very fast takes a good mark and would take pressure of roo.My front 6 would be Kosi,roo and Stanley as talls and milne schneider and Steven as smalls.
I dont think Mini has had a goo year like last year.Steven kicks goals

trevor barker
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Please bring back Stanley

JABBER wrote:I feel we should bring back Stanley as a leading forward he is very fast takes a good mark and would take pressure of roo.My front 6 would be Kosi,roo and Stanley as talls and milne schneider and Steven as smalls.
I dont think Mini has had a goo year like last year.Steven kicks goals

I like it

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

how many goals did he kick as a leading forward?

If we couldn't get kosi roo and gehrig to work...............

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree Steven will play forward, but I still get a strong feeling it will be to cover Schneider as he moves into the middle in September.

Are we sure Stanley would take the pressure of Roo, he has all the signs of being a great player, but he hasn't yet shown signs that he is going to improve our scoring capacity?

I like to know Mini's TOG, perhaps they are ensuring he peaks in September giving his limited preseason? His game against Geelong was very good, he obviously has that kind of peformance in him...

I think people have been quick to criticise our forwards on the weekend, but just remember, they contributed the same amount of goals as Collingwood's forwards.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:how many goals did he kick as a leading forward?
Not many, but kosi isn't setting the world on fire either. I like the addition of Steven to the forwards because, as Jabber says, he kicks goals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:how many goals did he kick as a leading forward?
Not many, but kosi isn't setting the world on fire either. I like the addition of Steven to the forwards because, as Jabber says, he kicks goals.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not sure if 3 forward talls will work... we might be too top heavy.

We might have to stick to 2 talls.

Let's not look at just goals re: Stanley.

Stanley also brings all important tackling pressure and chase(something we don't get from Kosi) and like Kosi will take a tall opponent away from Roo's immediate vicinity.
Being mobile he may also combine well with Roo in general play and could kick goals that way too working with Roo (who brings other players into the game) ?

Stanley needs more confidence with his kicking at goal .. that would add a goal a game just there - and let's not forget Stanley mainly played CHF he wasn't FF - so a goal a game isn't bad considering everything else he brings.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 21 Jul 2010 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Imo Stanley showed a little in his games but he also showed he needs time, giving him game time now would be detrimental to our flag chances this year.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Imo Stanley showed a little in his games but he also showed he needs time, giving him game time now would be detrimental to our flag chances this year.
How much time does Kosi need - and how much chase is he providing and will he ever provide any?

I'd rather give time to a kid.

Also Stanley kicked a goal a game from mainly CHF compared to Kosi who plays FF.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

We are going for a premiership 1st and developing players 2nd. Kosi may not chase as hard but he provides more for the team than Stanley does atm therefore we play Kosi

samoht
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:We are going for a premiership not about developing players. Kosi may not chase as hard but he provides more for the team than Stanley does atm therefore we play Kosi
If Stanley is doing everything Kosi can do right now plus provide chase on top - and there's a chance that he may develop further and pass Kosi why not give him the chance to do that ?

Same applies to McEvoy - if he can do everything Kosi can do right now - he should be chosen ahead of him.

Also Kosi may find form in the seconds - there's no better tall forward than Kosi when he holds his marks, I rate Kosi ahead of Pav when he holds those contested marks.
Maybe he needs time to find his confidence again (in the seconds) before the finals ?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure how the myth formed that Kosi doesn't tackle, he may of had a poor game on the weekend, but he tackles...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: If Stanley is doing everything Kosi can do right now plus provide chase on top - and there's a chance that he may develop further and pass Kosi why not give him the chance to do that ?
because he's not doing everything Kosi is

samoht
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I am not sure how the myth formed that Kosi doesn't tackle, he may of had a poor game on the weekend, but he tackles...
tackles = someone next to you

chase = running after and pressuring and perhaps tackling a possible rebounding opponent - kosi doesn't and can't do that, due to lack of leg speed.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
SainterK wrote:I am not sure how the myth formed that Kosi doesn't tackle, he may of had a poor game on the weekend, but he tackles...
tackles = someone next to you

chase = running after and pressuring and perhaps tackling a possible rebounding opponent - kosi doesn't and can't do that, due to lack of leg speed.
Fair enough, someone above mentioned tackling pressure though, and he isn't our worst forward in that department.

Stanley may of chased, but he hasn't tackled much either.

Exciting prospect is our Stanley, but I am not sure Ross will make a change to bring him in just for an improvement in chase.

I truly believe all the Saints players will improve in the forward pressure as the finals quickly approach.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Why not the best of both worlds - play Stanley or McEvoy whilst Kosi regains his top form (at Sandy) which revolves around his ability to hold marks.

so Kosi to Sandy for the next 4 games as a refresher course to regain top form with the aim of slotting him back in for say round 21 and round 22... (providing he recaptures it).

Meanwhile Stanley or McEvoy might be showing plenty (don't forget they haven't played many games forward alongside Roo - we shouldn't underestimate Roo's ability to bring them into the game) .. so this way we are keeping our options open... and looking for the best outcome for our forward line and support for Roo.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Also Stanley kicked a goal a game...
no he didn't. he kicked three goals in six games. he also had three assists and seven tackles in total in those six games.

i don't mind stanley, i think he'll be good in the long run, but you can't say he's set the world on fire in his games this year.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
samoht wrote:Also Stanley kicked a goal a game...
no he didn't. he kicked three goals in six games. he also had three assists and seven tackles in total in those six games.

i don't mind stanley, i think he'll be good in the long run, but you can't say he's set the world on fire in his games this year.
Stanley hasn't set the world on fire either i agree ... I think he kicked another goal that wasn't counted too .. and missed some easy set shots - mainly playing at CHF not FF let's not forget... so we're not really comparing apples with apples.

But i said either McEvoy or Stanley and why not even Lynch ? - whilst Kosi finds form ?

Kosi needs to be given every chance to find form (he's failing to do that at senior level)... Roo needs support.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 21 Jul 2010 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

One thing that counts against Stanley is his lack of body development. Kosi at least provides a contested marking target, but McEvoy could do that and conceivably hold more marks and kick more goals

35...LEGEND
Club Player

My forward line......for a few weeks, starting Friday.

.....Milne.....Stanley.....?????

.....Steven.....12.....xxxxx

????? = Big Mac, Gardi and Lynch....Rotate through F/P and Bench.

xxxx = any of Schnads,BJ,Ray Ray,Dal,The Fro.........Rotating through H/F.

If CHF too much for 12.....rotate with Stanley.

Kosi=gawn for a while....form.

McQ=gawn for a while....form.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:One thing that counts against Stanley is his lack of body development. Kosi at least provides a contested marking target, but McEvoy could do that and conceivably hold more marks and kick more goals

I think Lynch is also doing okay at Sandy... and may be due for a promotion.

So there's a few options for Kosi - while he concentrates on finding form with Sandy (something he hasn't been able to do at senior level).

Saints94
SS Life Member

I'll say chuck Kosi down back bring in Stanley, chuck him down at FF and persist with that.

saintlee
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:I'll say chuck Kosi down back bring in Stanley, chuck him down at FF and persist with that.
No chance of that happening.

Stanley may come back in the team, but only if Rooey or Kosi go out due to injury or omission.