New tactic from Hawthorn. Could Saints try this?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RoseInOz
Club Player

New tactic from Hawthorn. Could Saints try this?

I saw this a couple of times at the weekend, and TV commentators said that Hawthorn had been practicing it......when players were caught on top of the ball, on the bottom of a pack they managed to squeeze the ball out the back between their legs, where another player was waiting to receive it (much the same way as in a Rugby scrum). May be worth trying by other teams.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: New tactic from Hawthorn. Could Saints try this?

RoseInOz wrote:I saw this a couple of times at the weekend, and TV commentators said that Hawthorn had been practicing it......when players were caught on top of the ball, on the bottom of a pack they managed to squeeze the ball out the back between their legs, where another player was waiting to receive it (much the same way as in a Rugby scrum). May be worth trying by other teams.
Interesting post. I like that idea.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: New tactic from Hawthorn. Could Saints try this?

RoseInOz wrote:I saw this a couple of times at the weekend, and TV commentators said that Hawthorn had been practicing it......when players were caught on top of the ball, on the bottom of a pack they managed to squeeze the ball out the back between their legs, where another player was waiting to receive it (much the same way as in a Rugby scrum). May be worth trying by other teams.
It's a good and cheating tactic but technically wouldn't it be deemed a throw. I would only try it in the front half of the ground IF we were well in control of the game.

RoseInOz
Club Player

They didn't actually throw the ball, more or less squeezed it out, sort of like laying an egg. It sure caught the other team unawares.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Superboot
SS Life Member

We could also try Geelong's tactics of throwing the ball in front of you with one hand, spinning yourself through 720 degrees whole holding the ball above your head, or bending your knees when about to be tackled forcing head high contact, but there's no way any St Kilda player would get away with any of it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

i mentioned this a while back, both hawthorn and geelong have adapted well to the new rules. They try at all costs to keep the ball moving & when a pack situations arises, I have seen them actually rip the ball away from the opposition, as oppossed to trying to negate the player and cause a stoppage, the ball is the focus.
StKilda have based a game plan around stoppages, which is why we get pinned for holding the ball alot.

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:We could also try Geelong's tactics of throwing the ball in front of you with one hand, spinning yourself through 720 degrees whole holding the ball above your head, or bending your knees when about to be tackled forcing head high contact, but there's no way any St Kilda player would get away with any of it.
...or render the tunnel ball instigator crippled by dropping a knee into them, Scarlett/Milburn/Enright style.

Superboot
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:i mentioned this a while back, both hawthorn and geelong have adapted well to the new rules. They try at all costs to keep the ball moving & when a pack situations arises, I have seen them actually rip the ball away from the opposition, as oppossed to trying to negate the player and cause a stoppage, the ball is the focus.
StKilda have based a game plan around stoppages, which is why we get pinned for holding the ball alot.
They also rip the ball away from team mates (incorrect disposal) but the umpires haven't woken up to that one either.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:i mentioned this a while back, both hawthorn and geelong have adapted well to the new rules. They try at all costs to keep the ball moving & when a pack situations arises, I have seen them actually rip the ball away from the opposition, as oppossed to trying to negate the player and cause a stoppage, the ball is the focus.
Agreed!

And, the thread topic is interesting! I've noticed this also!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

personally I believe we need to bring in some all blacks because our scrum work has been terrible. Our inside backs have not been working hard enough to protect the ball and we are to slow at the breakdown.

Oh sorry wrong sport...... :shock:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith