R16 Match Preview: Pies v Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DaVe86
Club Player

R16 Match Preview: Pies v Saints

Like I always do when the Pies play the Saints, I come in good faith to share my weekly match preview with you all.

Here is the link. Hope you enjoy and look forward to talking about it with you all.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/afl/match-r ... -preview-0
Round 16's feature match is definitely at the MCG this Saturday afternoon between Collingwood and St.Kilda. It is a battle between 2nd and 3rd on the ladder, so there is plenty at stake as the winner will hold 2nd spot at the conclusion of this round, and potentially first if Adelaide can upset Geelong.

It’s so good to have a big game on a Saturday afternoon at the G. Collingwood has not played a Saturday afternoon game since Round 2, whilst the Saints are playing their first this round. It’s the traditional time slot, and I think the fans will respond in numbers this weekend.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Get your facts straight... Rooey did not tear his hamstring off the bone.

Badlands
Club Player

Re: R16 Match Preview: Pies v Saints

DaVe86 wrote: There is no doubt however this game does carry a fair share of weight. For St.Kilda, their focus will surely be to get top spot on the ladder. Top position will most likely play Fremantle at home in the first week of finals, or a Bulldogs side with big question marks over their ability to play big games. So top position is definitely where you want to finish this year.
To be brutally honest, I'd rather finish 2nd and meet the Pies in wk 1 than finish top and face the Dogs.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

"The animosity between these two talented sides is a definite fact. Most of all, the fans seem to hate each other."

got that right .....filth will always be the filth to me.....the rest of your article.....well.... before i gave up reading from boredom....was just your usual crap.....roo played limited time my arse.....

the saints in brisbane were impressive to me ffs,,,,we have only won there once before this century.....

want pple to read your rubbish..?.make sure you are at least factually correct..... your reference to roo's injury just further highlights your ignorance.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
DaVe86
Club Player

To be brutally honest, I'd rather finish 2nd and meet the Pies in wk 1 than finish top and face the Dogs.
that's a fair enough comment considering your recent history. I suppose it all depends on whether DOckers make top 4.

Despite the fact they have lost Barlow and have injuries, their run home is good.

No doubt getting to play Freo at home would be the dream start to finals.
Last edited by DaVe86 on Wed 14 Jul 2010 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaVe86
Club Player

ahhhh stinger....i was waiting for you response. You didn't dissapoint.

Roo did play limited time. He even started the first 5 minutes on the bench. But he was no doubt very good once out there. But he was nursed through.

On the Riewoldt point, obviously an error on my part, i thought it was off the bone but obviously wasn't.

But stinger...i'm just happy you read it mate. Even if it is to bag it.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Great read ,

thanks for sharing that Dave.

What will be next from this club ?
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Bit churlish there Stinger ... Dave puts a lot of work into his previews, and they are always a great read.

Nice work Dave, as usual. Thanks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Bit churlish there Stinger ... Dave puts a lot of work into his previews, and they are always a great read.

He is till in shock from saying he knows the Clokes but thinks Peter Carey is related to them.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DaVe86 wrote:ahhhh stinger....i was waiting for you response. You didn't dissapoint.

Roo did play limited time. He even started the first 5 minutes on the bench. But he was no doubt very good once out there. But he was nursed through.

On the Riewoldt point, obviously an error on my part, i thought it was off the bone but obviously wasn't.

just the first page mate,,,,,another poster pointed out the roo mistake....so don't be happy....i got bored shitless half way down the first page....i think it must be your crappy writing style and the fact that i don't normally even talk to filth supporters let alone read their crap..... :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St DAC wrote:Bit churlish there Stinger ... Dave puts a lot of work into his previews, and they are always a great read.

He is till in shock from saying he knows the Clokes but thinks Peter Carey is related to them.
i do know the clokes and cloke boys maternal grandmother.....i am stillnot convinced i have the wrong umpire...would not believe anything you told me in a fit.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
DaVe86 wrote:ahhhh stinger....i was waiting for you response. You didn't dissapoint.

just the first page mate,,,,,another poster pointed out the roo mistake....so don't be happy....i got bored shitless half way down the first page....i think it must be your crappy writing style and the fact that i don't normally even talk to filth supporters let alone read their crap..... :wink:
You really have a way with words. How is the cloke family going and the mrs Cloke brother Peter Carey or maybe it was Mariah Carey or even Wayne.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Nick Dal Santo – The Saints have a classy mid-field, but Dal Santo is perhaps the classiest. Although he is also probably the most susceptible to a tag. He has improved this part of his game in 2010, and he has also become a more contested possession player (He had 12 contested possessions last week).
Dal has always been a contested ball player. Some people just refuse to see it. Here's his averages over time:

02 - 4.6
03 - 7.3
04 - 6.7
05 - 8.9
06 - 8.1
07 - 8.1
08 - 6.1
09 - 8.4
10 - 9.1

You could point out that he had a down year in 08, but Lenny had a down year the year before. Over the longer-term we haven't had as consistent a contested ball player as Nick Dal Santo.

If anything, it's his uncontested ball numbers that tell the story of his improvement. He's always going to win the one-on-one's with the hacks who play on him. It's the ability to outwork them and get uncontested ball that makes him a better player today than he was two years ago.

And unless you have Kane Cornes or Brady Rawlings, he's not all that susceptible to a tag. (EDIT: Upon reflection, it was actually Greenwod, not rawlings, who shut down Dal last year.) Most taggers have struggled on him over the last couple of years. I don't think tagging him is a bad idea, but it doesn't seem to be Mick's style. He'll throw his ball winners into the centre against ours and back them.

The way things are going this year, I'd bet Collingwood will win the clearances and the contested ball. They'll turn over the ball, miss shots at goal and lose a low-scoring game by 3-5 goals.
Last edited by vacuous space on Wed 14 Jul 2010 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he writes crap...imho....and he knows that that is exactly what i think.....who did he predict to win this one.....the filth in a canter of the filth to get home in a close one....spare me ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you Stinger. Ill-conceived, self-serving, unresearched, cliche filled blah blah. I mean good on a bloke for loving the game and all, but really, if you're going to make a fist of a preview, make sure the fact and the fiction are kept mutually exclusive...IMO. Dal is constested ball player, Roo didn't tear a tendon from the bone etc etc etc...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

he writes crap...imho....and he knows that that is exactly what i think.....who did he predict to win this one.....the filth in a canter of the filth to get home in a close one....spare me ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Saints by 7

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty sure that Peter Carey (the umpire) is a brother in law of David Cloke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I'm pretty sure that Peter Carey (the umpire) is a brother in law of David Cloke.

Well I am 100% sure Peter Cameron is so he is very unlucky to have 2 brother in laws who are umpires with different surnames.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

WE're a bit harsh on Dave I reckon. Stinger you seem to tolerate JohnPeterBudgefanclub (or something similar) why the angst directed at this guy? Whether you like his previews or not, he's pretty evenhanded and actually all the previews I've read that he's written in the last 18mths he generally tips the saints. I think he had the temerity to tip the pies once and made the mistake of publishing it on here. Notice he hasn't done that again :lol:
AS long as he's not trolling who really cares?

Maybe I'm not as hardened as some as half my family (missus and youngest one) barrack for the pies as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:WE're a bit harsh on Dave I reckon. Stinger you seem to tolerate JohnPeterBudgefanclub (or something similar) why the angst directed at this guy? Whether you like his previews or not, he's pretty evenhanded and actually all the previews I've read that he's written in the last 18mths he generally tips the saints. I think he had the temerity to tip the pies once and made the mistake of publishing it on here. Notice he hasn't done that again :lol:

Maybe I'm not as hardened as some as half my family (missus and youngest one) barrack for the pies as well.
Good post

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:I'm pretty sure that Peter Carey (the umpire) is a brother in law of David Cloke.

Well I am 100% sure Peter Cameron is so he is very unlucky to have 2 brother in laws who are umpires with different surnames.
Yep you're right. Thay are actually very similar I reckon. Must be that moustache.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

so am i.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:WE're a bit harsh on Dave I reckon. Stinger you seem to tolerate JohnPeterBudgefanclub (or something similar) why the angst directed at this guy? Whether you like his previews or not, he's pretty evenhanded and actually all the previews I've read that he's written in the last 18mths he generally tips the saints. I think he had the temerity to tip the pies once and made the mistake of publishing it on here. Notice he hasn't done that again :lol:

nah...not harsh at all....he's not a troll...so i haven't told him to f*** off.....i actually like jpbfc....have spoken to him a couple of times and helped him out with some advice.....his brother and dad both played for the filth....so he actually loves the game and has a genuine affection for the saints...i understand that there was a bit of angst recently...but hey...after all he is a filth supporter.....can't be all good.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

had a daughter that once indicated that she would like to follow the filth...we soon sorted that out...she has never been sorry.... :wink: :wink: :wink:...now her boys all follow the saints.....that's four to us...none to the filth...
Last edited by stinger on Wed 14 Jul 2010 11:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zippy
Club Player

I liked it - thanks for posting it.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote:
stinger wrote:he writes crap...imho....and he knows that that is exactly what i think.....who did he predict to win this one.....the filth in a canter of the filth to get home in a close one....spare me ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Saints by 7
Stinger?