Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saint75 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Is he serious??

We just willy-nilly introduce a new rule because a dude gave a little weak bump to a guy??

What the hell are we trying to create here? Do we really want a non-contact sport where the slightest hint of serious competitiveness is killed off from the game?

F*ck me, I can't believe the footy public sometimes.

Next we'll be saying that the AFL should suddenly change the rules and hand out 12 week suspensions to blokes who niggle off the ball. Oh wait....
You may want to take this issue up with the MRP and Dimetriou. They started all this crap with the 9 week suspension to Baker. No one would be questioning all the soft bumps and jumper punches if they hadn't slammed Baker. Good for one player, it is good for another. We all want 'consistency' and 'equality' after all........ 8-)
I completely agree with you.

All I would say that two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because we were dudded by yet another laughable AFL decision, does not mean I want the game ruined further.
consistency is all you'd ask for.
In this case, not really.

If being consistent means that everyone who does what Baker did, or what the Lions did gets 12 weeks - then no, I don't want consistency.

Some common sense and some integrity in the first place is all I'd ask for.

okay, either consistency or revisit the case and correct the injustice. you're right that the afl's integrity is at stake.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
fingers wrote:I think his point is, "what do you do when there is a clear infringement after the siren has gone" - answer pay a free kick at the resumption of play.
Really though, how can you infringe after the siren has gone?

There is no ball contest, so you can't really infringe on anyone. The only infringements are blocking someone going for the ball, or interfering with someone going for the ball.

If you do something reportable, then you get reported.

There is no need, regardless of what fat old lame creeps like Patrick Smith insist, to change the rules yet again at a knee-jerk reaction to what was a petty little 'incident'.
And what if the infringement is after the final siren?

Free kick at the start of the next game the two teams meet in? :?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

An infringement after the final siren is in no way going to affect the outcome of the game, is it?

And why would a player bother? Unless you play for Fremantle, that is.

Niggle is a part of the game, but after the sirens it's just poor sportsmanship.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Re: Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

St George wrote:"A free-kick to Riewoldt from the goal square could have started the final quarter. That would be a remedy that would end such nonsense."
Patrick Smith The Australian 12/07/10

Good idea Patrick!

One umpire did give the cowardly pri*k a real gobfull! But not enough.
it didnt deserve jack s***. Free kick at start of the final term? Thats laughable and ridiculous. Fair dinkum. Think people, THINK. This game is going down the toilet.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Called me old fashioned, but I'm satisfied with how our boys handled the 'situation' and and care little for any fines 8-)

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If the AFL are consistent (ha), and have any integrity (ha) then they will charge him with their favourite new catch-all rule "misconduct" if that player Buchanan made unnecessary and unjustified contact with player Riewoldt after the 3/4 time siren, thereby bringing the game into disrepute!!

At my house we were both shocked and appalled at such rampant violence on the sporting field, and my wife has pulled little Johnny out of Auskick, fearful of the other 5 year olds copying Buchanan's brutal behaviour. She has now registered him in the local soccer league.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

iwantmeseats wrote:
St George wrote:"A free-kick to Riewoldt from the goal square could have started the final quarter. That would be a remedy that would end such nonsense."
Patrick Smith The Australian 12/07/10

Good idea Patrick!

One umpire did give the cowardly pri*k a real gobfull! But not enough.
it didnt deserve jack s***. Free kick at start of the final term? Thats laughable and ridiculous. Fair dinkum. Think people, THINK. This game is going down the toilet.
Baker Rule.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

What the umpires should have done is walk away. Let the MRP sort it out later. The 3 Quarter time break should just continue on and I'm sure the players would break up once the coaches are out on the field ready to talk to them. If not too bad!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:What the umpires should have done is walk away. Let the MRP sort it out later. The 3 Quarter time break should just continue on and I'm sure the players would break up once the coaches are out on the field ready to talk to them. If not too bad!
That's pretty well what they did...good earner for the corporation.