Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St George
Club Player

Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

"A free-kick to Riewoldt from the goal square could have started the final quarter. That would be a remedy that would end such nonsense."
Patrick Smith The Australian 12/07/10

Good idea Patrick!

One umpire did give the cowardly pri*k a real gobfull! But not enough.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

THe commentary on the night thaught a free kick in the goal square would have been enough to stop the cowardly 3/4 time tactics too.

It would stop it for sure and I would put money on the filth players giving Roo the exact same treatment but I seriously doubt he will get any free kicks for the tactics they are almost certain to use

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Patrick Smith's Remedy For 3/4 Time Attack

St George wrote:"A free-kick to Riewoldt from the goal square could have started the final quarter. That would be a remedy that would end such nonsense."
Patrick Smith The Australian 12/07/10

Good idea Patrick!

One umpire did give the cowardly pri*k a real gobfull! But not enough.
did you see the players dismissal of the ' talking to' and then winked at him,? :shock:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St George
Club Player

I saw the wink, didn't know who it was directed to

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St George wrote:I saw the wink, didn't know who it was directed to
I've only seen it once but if not directed at Umpire was certainly in relation to the discussion..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
supersaints
Club Player

The AFL will think about it, then they will invoke their new rulle then use it against us , the first time a St Kilda player pushes someone during a break............

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Is he serious??

We just willy-nilly introduce a new rule because a dude gave a little weak bump to a guy??

What the hell are we trying to create here? Do we really want a non-contact sport where the slightest hint of serious competitiveness is killed off from the game?

F*ck me, I can't believe the footy public sometimes.

Next we'll be saying that the AFL should suddenly change the rules and hand out 12 week suspensions to blokes who niggle off the ball. Oh wait....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Is he serious??

We just willy-nilly introduce a new rule because a dude gave a little weak bump to a guy??

What the hell are we trying to create here? Do we really want a non-contact sport where the slightest hint of serious competitiveness is killed off from the game?

Next we'll be saying that the AFL should suddenly change the rules and hand out 12 week suspensions to blokes who niggle off the ball. Oh wait....
For fear of reawakening your 'don't defend Patrick Smith under any circs' tirade', read the segment of the article before spraying.

The nonsense he's referring to is the melee, not the bump:

"St Kilda has had much to handle this year. Even some issues on the field. The club has managed the bad press with style.

Coach Ross Lyon is not a man of extremes therefore nothing is spectacular, nor is anything disastrous. Everything is there just to be handled and managed. Yet even he has been drawn uncharacteristically into the media glare after he criticised Brisbane for the manner in which the Lions played against Riewoldt on the captain's return to football at the Gabba.

"Clearly, he was targeted," Lyon said after the match. "There was a bit of garbage we had to put up with. I thought some boundaries had been set and I thought they were crossed quite clearly. He will continue to be targeted but, like all champions, he will continue to deliver."

Boundaries? He must have been referring to Steven Baker's nine-match suspension after the Saint's serial harassment of Geelong's Stevie Johnson in round 13.

It is not that Lyon does not have a point, but rather that he would bother with it anyway. Since he took over as coach in 2007 Lyon has never sought to run an agenda in the media. Other coaches might have made an art form of that distraction but not Lyon.

Still, that Lyon was moved to mention the treatment of Riewoldt was a backhander to the match review panel. Yet another.

That Brisbane's unhealthy interest in Riewoldt did ignite a three-quarter-time melee which as always dimmed the AFL's cherished image is undeniable. Amon Buchanan collected Riewoldt in the back as the players headed for their huddles.

Riewoldt responded, as did the rest of the players, and a sprawling melee resulted. It is the look of a schoolyard brawl, inexcusable behaviour for adolescents never mind grown men.

The AFL will fine those players it finds guilty of rule breaches but until a more damaging penalty is administered on the ground then the deterrent is only monetary. While that might sting, the possible loss of premiership points is killing. A free-kick to Riewoldt from the goal square could have started the final quarter. That would be a remedy that would end such nonsense."

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

You may want to take this issue up with the MRP and Dimetriou. They started all this crap with the 9 week suspension to Baker. No one would be questioning all the soft bumps and jumper punches if they hadn't slammed Baker. Good for one player, it is good for another. We all want 'consistency' and 'equality' after all........ 8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I think his point is, "what do you do when there is a clear infringement after the siren has gone" - answer pay a free kick at the resumption of play.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I think his point is, "what do you do when there is a clear infringement after the siren has gone" - answer pay a free kick at the resumption of play.
Seems reasonable to me. As long as the incident is of sufficient weight.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

You may want to take this issue up with the MRP and Dimetriou. They started all this crap with the 9 week suspension to Baker. No one would be questioning all the soft bumps and jumper punches if they hadn't slammed Baker. Good for one player, it is good for another. We all want 'consistency' and 'equality' after all........ 8-)
Exactly...the gloves are off now, and if this sort of thing is not penalised the club would be right in seeking a 'please explain' from the AFL. They've gone a long way towards ending a specific players career with their soft namby pamby penalties, it's about time they started applying the Baker Rule to the entire league. The second it happened I shouted 'FREE KICK' at my TV screen, but maybe, for consistancy sake, Amon Buccannan should be suspended for 6 weeks, Riewoldt for 2 weeks and the umpires can go on ignoring these incidents?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If the incident had occurred halfway through a quarter I imagine Buchanan would have caused Voss's displeasure by giving away a free shot at goal. Maybe they should under the circumstances restart play just fot the offended player to have a free shot at goal. You can bet if they did that it would stop this nonsence in the breaks.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I think his point is, "what do you do when there is a clear infringement after the siren has gone" - answer pay a free kick at the resumption of play.
Was it a creal free kick though?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
If it happened after a shot on goal, he'd have received a second kick.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

patrick's complete article is worth the read....imhfo...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5890480272

loved this part...

"Clearly, he was targeted," Lyon said after the match. "There was a bit of garbage we had to put up with. I thought some boundaries had been set and I thought they were crossed quite clearly. He will continue to be targeted but, like all champions, he will continue to deliver."

Boundaries? He must have been referring to Steven Baker's nine-match suspension after the Saint's serial harassment of Geelong's Stevie Johnson in round 13.

It is not that Lyon does not have a point, but rather that he would bother with it anyway. Since he took over as coach in 2007 Lyon has never sought to run an agenda in the media. Other coaches might have made an art form of that distraction but not Lyon.

Still, that Lyon was moved to mention the treatment of Riewoldt was a backhander to the match review panel. Yet another."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Moods wrote:
Don't agree. I reckon it was just the straw that broke the camel's back re Rooey. But the incident in isolation was nothing more than a shove. Seen far worse this year after goal's have been kicked. It's just that this incident has been highlighted b/c it sparked a melee.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

Exactly

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Moods wrote:
Don't agree. I reckon it was just the straw that broke the camel's back re Rooey. But the incident in isolation was nothing more than a shove. Seen far worse this year after goal's have been kicked. It's just that this incident has been highlighted b/c it sparked a melee.
You say tomatoes I say tamatas... :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:"....and a sprawling melee resulted. It is the look of a schoolyard brawl, inexcusable behaviour for adolescents never mind grown men."

Inexcusable?? What the hell?

A bit of a wrestle during a professional sporting match??! Big freakin' deal.

Did anyone, anyone in the entire universe really get upset over that?

F*ck me - let's change the rules just because there was an all-in wrestle at 3/4 time of one match!!

Fair dinkum, I really do wonder sometimes.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:"....and a sprawling melee resulted. It is the look of a schoolyard brawl, inexcusable behaviour for adolescents never mind grown men."

Inexcusable?? What the hell?

A bit of a wrestle during a professional sporting match??! Big freakin' deal.

Did anyone, anyone in the entire universe really get upset over that?

F*ck me - let's change the rules just because there was an all-in wrestle at 3/4 time of one match!!

Fair dinkum, I really do wonder sometimes.

sensible post imho.... 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

I completely agree with you.

All I would say that two wrongs don't make a right.

Just because we were dudded by yet another laughable AFL decision, does not mean I want the game ruined further.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Just because we were dudded by yet another laughable AFL decision, does not mean I want the game ruined further.
consistency is all you'd ask for.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Really though, how can you infringe after the siren has gone?

There is no ball contest, so you can't really infringe on anyone. The only infringements are blocking someone going for the ball, or interfering with someone going for the ball.

If you do something reportable, then you get reported.

There is no need, regardless of what fat old lame creeps like Patrick Smith insist, to change the rules yet again at a knee-jerk reaction to what was a petty little 'incident'.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saint75 wrote:

consistency is all you'd ask for.
In this case, not really.

If being consistent means that everyone who does what Baker did, or what the Lions did gets 12 weeks - then no, I don't want consistency.

Some common sense and some integrity in the first place is all I'd ask for.