Unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 100ls.html

Grant Thomas, St Kilda's coach between 2001 and 2006, revealed yesterday that for most of those years his match-day routine was an unhealthy cycle of unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

"Of course, three hours of editing was always accommodated with a bottle of red wine … when you put it all together, it's not a great cocktail, is it?''

Well at least he was not asleep at the wheel..... :roll: :roll:

Seriously though what a wasted era where someone played out fantasies of being a coach rather than appointing a person that had been through the system.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

saintsRrising wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 100ls.html

Grant Thomas, St Kilda's coach between 2001 and 2006, revealed yesterday that for most of those years his match-day routine was an unhealthy cycle of unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

"Of course, three hours of editing was always accommodated with a bottle of red wine … when you put it all together, it's not a great cocktail, is it?''

Seriously though what a wasted era where someone played out fantasies of being a coach rather than appointing a person that had been through the system.
Still think it was more a matter of bad injury management.

We weren't that far off, but no doubt in my mind Ross is a 50% better coach than GT, significantly more professional.

Nothing against GT personally, really like the guy.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Sainterman
Club Player

I am pretty amazed at this story. I can't see how he could operate rationally when bringing himself up and down like he was. Sleeping tablets, caffeine and alcohol??? Gee whiz! :shock: :shock:

Anyway, agree we were close but the little things all make a difference. Reviewing the tape with a bottle of red? Surely not.

Anyway, I guess in Ross we now trust...and I feel like he is calmer in general which can only be a good thing when talking about the leader of the playign group.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote: Reviewing the tape with a bottle of red? Surely not.
I don't think he said he was reviewing it whilst drinking! He did the editing whilst knocking back a bottle of plonk.

Quite an amazing story on many levels this one.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He really doesn't care about how people perceive him, that's for sure. :shock:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

hmmm,wow.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He really doesn't care about how people perceive him, that's for sure. :shock:
Just as long as he is being perceived.

starsign
Club Player

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:He really doesn't care about how people perceive him, that's for sure. :shock:
LOL good stuff !

another P word comes to mind by comparison as well.....
Professional....
and I recon Rosco takes the cake here in all things related to the word in terms of AFL coaching!!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

GT= anything to be in the media andstay in the media.

he must be hard up for cash. Now willing to ruin whatever reputation or what people think of him

Sainterman
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Sainterman wrote: Reviewing the tape with a bottle of red? Surely not.
I don't think he said he was reviewing it whilst drinking! He did the editing whilst knocking back a bottle of plonk.

Quite an amazing story on many levels this one.
Yep, fair enough, I would have thought he would be editing out the important parts to show the group, hence "reviewing" it in some sense.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Considering caffeine was only taken off the WADA banned list in 2004 and GT says he was loading up in 2001, how many of our players at that time were on caffeine?
I don't buy that crap about drinking a cup of "tar". Why would you drink that rubbish rather than pop a couple of pills? He had the heart problem in 2003. Says he did it because the players did it. The man is a fool. Thank goodness we have a real man in charge now (even if he does walk in a mincing way).

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM
The sleeping tablets completely messed with his ability to function properly the next day. ''You'd have to wake up at 6 o'clock to get to the footy club again with your eyes hanging out of your head. It wasn't a good scenario.''
The megalomaniacal maestro appoints himself in a sham process, pays himself $500,000 a year with no previous AFL coaching experience, insists on absolute 100% full control of the football department and the buffoon was pissed and off his head on pills the whole time!

FAIR DINKUM

Sacked and not a minute too soon before he shipped Milne off to Essendon, but not before he managed to send a playing list from heaven half way to hell in five years, while destroying a relationship with our VFL affiliate and overseeing shambolic recruiting with boy wonder Bundy by his side,

as if pick 6 in the National Draft wasn't enough for Barry Brooks, they threw in a second rounder to sweeten the deal to the ex- club boy wonder happened to be affiliated with,...... seriously

How could such inanity happen?
''You'd have to wake up at 6 o'clock to get to the footy club again with your eyes hanging out of your head. It wasn't a good scenario.''

Probably explains a great deal!

Perhaps Bundy was also helping out some old mates at Port at the very same time!

The only rookie to come through under Thomas was Milne and he can take no credit for recruiting Milne to begin with and in the end was going to give him the flick, thank flick they flicked the right flick just in flicking time!

Zero rookies, zero, zilch, nada, nought, nothing, absolutely SFA!

Without bothering to check the exact number there were about five rookies in West Coast's 2006 premiership team.

Insisted the club spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on two week overseas holidays disguised as training camps and Mr Snakeoil can't even get the team fully fit for the requirements of AFL football!

FAIR DINKUM

And not to mention Jason Blake in the ruck with no numbers behind the ball, seriously at least we now know Blake wasn't the only one getting smashed at the time!

When I spoke to Mick McGuane and questioned this inanity he responded with "We prefer to back our own players", FAIR DINKUM

That was the entire gameplan, just send them out with the mission to beat their opponent, with no tactics or gameplan whatsoever!

Did I mention playing Jason Blake in the ruck with no instruction to the midfield to get numbers behind the ball?

At least we can now put this down to him being totally sloshed at the time as some sort of explanation for this complete and utter buffoonery!
''You'd have to wake up at 6 o'clock to get to the footy club again with your eyes hanging out of your head. It wasn't a good scenario.''
FAIR DINKUM

And then we come to fitness and conditioning and injury management,

oh dear

Grant "fitness and conditioning staff are overrated" Thomas in control of the entire football department and responsible for one of the most crucial elements in a team's success was off his head, on the piss and popping pills the whole time!

FAIR DINKUM

To think of all the know nothing, numbnuts, nuffies, suckholes, brown noses, GT doll worshipping sheep, the easily conned dingbats, douchebags, dunderheads, a gaggle of geeks, gumps, gimps and goatriders who fell for the snake oil routine and lined up for the poisoned cordial,........ they who abused me on here for years when I suggested (on at least one occasion), that Thomas was pissing our chances up against the wall and didn't have a FAIR DINKUM clue!:roll:

Shame on you all!

Apologies are in order!

:lol:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Considering caffeine was only taken off the WADA banned list in 2004 and GT says he was loading up in 2001, how many of our players at that time were on caffeine?
I don't buy that crap about drinking a cup of "tar". Why would you drink that rubbish rather than pop a couple of pills? He had the heart problem in 2003. Says he did it because the players did it. The man is a fool. Thank goodness we have a real man in charge now (even if he does walk in a mincing way).
Or as I said on the other thread, at least have an affogato and enjoy the experience. :)

Oh, and it's a 'sashay' :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Oh, and it's a 'sashay' :wink:
Very funny. :D :D .

Loved it when Ross said that in his interview after the Geelong game when Hamish asked if he would be moonwalking around his lounge room...
"I don't moonwalk, I sashay" :wink:

I gather that is what you are referring to.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:

Loved it when Ross said that in his interview after the Geelong game when Hamish asked if he would be moonwalking around his lounge room...

He might think it's a sashay, I say he minces.

bob__71
Club Player

i liked the anticipation, the whole day and it was a great thought that maybe Saintsational was over GT. Shame it all changed at 5.09

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintsRrising wrote:

seriously, this, and the following anti Gt sentiment is completely unfounded.
Where is the same criticism for Lenny Hayes???

Seeya
linz
Club Player

markp wrote:
My thoughts too.

The pressure of coaching a high profile team with high public and supporter expectations can build pressure on the Coach.

I can sympathise with Grant but it's not as if he had to take the job on in the first place. AH-HEM!

At the end of the day (as Stan would say) "He's a piss pot!!"

I'm the same as him but I know I've got a problem and I'm working on it.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
savatage
SS Life Member

...and the human headline continues on. Fade away seriously.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

seriously, this, and the following anti Gt sentiment is completely unfounded.
Where is the same criticism for Lenny Hayes???
Why would you want to criticise Lenny?

savatage
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Where is the same criticism for Lenny Hayes???
\

Come again??

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I would have thought he would be doing cartwheels after the Geelong game :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:FAIR DINKUM
The sleeping tablets completely messed with his ability to function properly the next day. ''You'd have to wake up at 6 o'clock to get to the footy club again with your eyes hanging out of your head. It wasn't a good scenario.''
The megalomaniacal maestro appoints himself in a sham process, pays himself $500,000 a year with no previous AFL coaching experience, insists on absolute 100% full control of the football department and the buffoon was pissed and off his head on pills the whole time!

FAIR DINKUM

Sacked and not a minute too soon before he shipped Milne off to Essendon, but not before he managed to send a playing list from heaven half way to hell in five years, while destroying a relationship with our VFL affiliate and overseeing shambolic recruiting with boy wonder Bundy by his side,

as if pick 6 in the National Draft wasn't enough for Barry Brooks, they threw in a second rounder to sweeten the deal to the ex- club boy wonder happened to be affiliated with,...... seriously

How could such inanity happen?

Probably explains a great deal!

Perhaps Bundy was also helping out some old mates at Port at the very same time!

The only rookie to come through under Thomas was Milne and he can take no credit for recruiting Milne to begin with and in the end was going to give him the flick, thank flick they flicked the right flick just in flicking time!

Zero rookies, zero, zilch, nada, nought, nothing, absolutely SFA!

Without bothering to check the exact number there were about five rookies in West Coast's 2006 premiership team.

Insisted the club spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on two week overseas holidays disguised as training camps and Mr Snakeoil can't even get the team fully fit for the requirements of AFL football!

FAIR DINKUM

And not to mention Jason Blake in the ruck with no numbers behind the ball, seriously at least we now know Blake wasn't the only one getting smashed at the time!

When I spoke to Mick McGuane and questioned this inanity he responded with "We prefer to back our own players", FAIR DINKUM

That was the entire gameplan, just send them out with the mission to beat their opponent, with no tactics or gameplan whatsoever!

Did I mention playing Jason Blake in the ruck with no instruction to the midfield to get numbers behind the ball?

At least we can now put this down to him being totally sloshed at the time as some sort of explanation for this complete and utter buffoonery!
FAIR DINKUM

And then we come to fitness and conditioning and injury management,

oh dear

Grant "fitness and conditioning staff are overrated" Thomas in control of the entire football department and responsible for one of the most crucial elements in a team's success was off his head, on the piss and popping pills the whole time!

FAIR DINKUM

To think of all the know nothing, numbnuts, nuffies, suckholes, brown noses, GT doll worshipping sheep, the easily conned dingbats, douchebags, dunderheads, a gaggle of geeks, gumps, gimps and goatriders who fell for the snake oil routine and lined up for the poisoned cordial,........ they who abused me on here for years when I suggested (on at least one occasion), that Thomas was pissing our chances up against the wall and didn't have a FAIR DINKUM clue!:roll:

Shame on you all!

Apologies are in order!

:lol:
This is a bit much!

FAIR DINKUM

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:

Yep :lol:

The boys say it's a sashay as well...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

lol...

Brought Barks out of hiding..

/wave bigfella

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....