Danger Game v Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Danger Game v Lions

Always worried when we play at Gabba. Only won there twice in 20 years - a few years back last round (Brisbane depleted) and back in the Lockett days. And Brisbane will have Fevola playing it appears. Yes he's been ordinary but now and then he turns it on. We SHOULD win but as one cheer squad member commented - Brisbane will cop plenty from media if they lose again and be praised as heroes if they beat us. Remember who we have lost to ... Port in SA plus Blues and Dons. We do well against the top teams. Got 10 of us booked and hoping for a big win to help erase all the awful Gabba memories.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Re: Danger Game v Lions

Newman wrote:Always worried when we play at Gabba. Only won there twice in 20 years - a few years back last round (Brisbane depleted) and back in the Lockett days. And Brisbane will have Fevola playing it appears. Yes he's been ordinary but now and then he turns it on. We SHOULD win but as one cheer squad member commented - Brisbane will cop plenty from media if they lose again and be praised as heroes if they beat us. Remember who we have lost to ... Port in SA plus Blues and Dons. We do well against the top teams. Got 10 of us booked and hoping for a big win to help erase all the awful Gabba memories.
Enjoy the night and the WIN.. :wink:

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

we never play well against port at aami, and Brisbane at the gabba.
i know exactly what will happen, everyone will talk us up expecting a 6 goal + win, tab will have us at $1.15 vs $5 ....and Brisbane will knock us off. Hopefully I am wrong, but i can feel something bad coming for us. I love the gabba as a ground, but I have sat through some pretty pathetic efforts up there by our boys in the past, hopefully that will change Saturday night.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I know what you're saying...Brisbane are under the pump, and guys like Fev and Merrett have also individually had articles written about them which they may wish to disprove.

I am still confident we will win, but it may be a bit tougher than people anticipate.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

The Lions will be trying to prove something for sure and they do play well at home but I have faith in our boys.
I dont expect it to be an easy game but I think our boys are up to the task.

GO SAINTERS

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
saintlee
Club Player

Saints will win this easily. Lions are a rabble at the moment.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:we never play well against port at aami, and Brisbane at the gabba.
i know exactly what will happen, everyone will talk us up expecting a 6 goal + win, tab will have us at $1.15 vs $5 ....and Brisbane will knock us off. Hopefully I am wrong, but i can feel something bad coming for us. I love the gabba as a ground, but I have sat through some pretty pathetic efforts up there by our boys in the past, hopefully that will change Saturday night.
I can understand everyone's nervousness given our past record at the Gabba.

However it's important to note the Lions have not beaten THIS team, ie the one that only lost 3 games last year and sits equal top of the ladder this year despite being Rooless for most of the season.

THIS team has already achieved many things most other Saints teams have been unable to. And hopefully by the end of the year, one other thing. :D

35...LEGEND
Club Player

saintlee wrote:Saints will win this easily. Lions are a rabble at the moment.
Dead right.... :twisted:

35...LEGEND
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I know what you're saying...Brisbane are under the pump, and guys like Fev and Merrett have also individually had articles written about them which they may wish to disprove.

I am still confident we will win, but it may be a bit tougher than people anticipate.
Hope they do give Fev a run.............1 man down from the start.. :wink:

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I think we'll be tested and maybe even behind part way of the match but this team is so much stonrger now than we were ten weeks ago when Riewoldt first went down.

We aren't lost or anything... we know exactly what we need to do.

I predict a close win over them and actually a really good contest. looking forward to Saturday night.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

they are all danger games. that said, i'd expect us to win.

we are a very, very good side.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I have sat through some Gabba shockers over the years, and also can only remenber two wins, one with plugger kicking 10,11 ? and the last one maybe three years ago towards the end of the season.

In saying that I would be dissapointed if we couldnt get a 5 goal + win on Saturday night, even with the Lions copping it in the media this week.

For us Banana benders this is the highlight of the season (other than finals and trips interstate) and I am looking forward to it.

GO SAINTS

bozza1980
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:we never play well against port at aami, and Brisbane at the gabba.
I do have that nagging doubt in the back of my head too, but we shouldn't.

Yes our record at the Gabba is horrendous but in the cold hard light of day we haven't lost too many up there when starting overwhelming favourites.

Unless an effort similar to our game against Carlton is produced we will win this game comfortably and I for one am looking forward to it.

The first AFL game I ever went to was St Kilda v Brisbane at the Gabba in 1991 and after moving to Melbourne in the mid 90's I've headed back up there each time we've played there to go to the games with my old man who lives up there.

I've sat through some horrendous maulings and copped the grief from the Lions supporters that went along with them. The 2004 Qualifying Final which was over at quarter time meaning 3/4 worth of grief from those bastards, stands out, but there are a few other horrible afternoons and evening spent in Wooloongabba watching the saints lose.

So I for one am looking forward to watching our boys sweep the pitiful Lions aside, and depending on the result of the 2008 Grand Final rematch that afternoon, regain top spot or our share of top spot.

Go the Saints unleash hell!!!!

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I'll be extremely relieved if we can sit back on Sat night with the 4 points in the bag. When I did the ladder predictor earlier in the year just after Roo went down and Brisbane started on fire, I pencilled this in as a loss.

Even though circumstances have changed, I agree that this is a critical game which will give us momentum going in to the Collingwood game, but we have to get this win first.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The sort of team the Lions can put on the park ATM, even including Fev, isn't capable of beating our team even without Roo and Gram.

I'm far more worried about the Pies than this game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
howlinwolf
Club Player

While a win is important I'll be happy enough if we lose but Roo plays and comes
through unscathed.
Then we win next week. :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

I moved to Brisbane from Melbourne in 1992 and have been to every game at the Gabba in this period, and seen us win ONCE.

Please let us win this weekend...

I've been to dozens of Melbourne games in this timeframe and quite a few in Sydney (and rarely miss a final anywhere) but the Qld drought has been horrible. Thank God for those Carrara wins in the last couple of seasons, I was getting a complex...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
lurker#134
Club Player

Just look at our form and our suffocation of teams in the last 6 weeks including the premiers. Surely Brisbane with their depleted team won't be able to put up a fight for long.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

We will win, Brisbane will apply plenty of pressure, andwe may be behind in the 3rd quartar. But that really does not mean mush as better teams than them have had us in a trouble, eg dogs and cats and we still find ways to win.

We an extra player.... RL

I love this club
bozza1980
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:I'll be extremely relieved if we can sit back on Sat night with the 4 points in the bag. When I did the ladder predictor earlier in the year just after Roo went down and Brisbane started on fire, I pencilled this in as a loss.
Agreed
Milan Faletic wrote:Even though circumstances have changed, I agree that this is a critical game which will give us momentum going in to the Collingwood game, but we have to get this win first.
Also agreed.

I realise all games start nil all which means either team can win it but a Lions win in this game will rank as one of the upsets of the season.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that and "Oh when the saints go marching in" is belting out around the ground after the game, that said it didn't after we beat them in 2006.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

lurker#134 wrote:Just look at our form and our suffocation of teams in the last 6 weeks including the premiers. Surely Brisbane with their depleted team won't be able to put up a fight for long.
They're a different animal at home, plus they've got some kids in the team now who'd be keen to stay there. It's a 50/50 imo.

bozza1980
Club Player

degruch wrote:
lurker#134 wrote:Just look at our form and our suffocation of teams in the last 6 weeks including the premiers. Surely Brisbane with their depleted team won't be able to put up a fight for long.
They're a different animal at home, plus they've got some kids in the team now who'd be keen to stay there. It's a 50/50 imo.
They are different at home but we are a better than 50/50 chance.

If not we are not a fair dinkum premiership contender.

Finna
Club Player

f*** you're a bundle of joy aren't you :shock:

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
degruch wrote:
They are different at home but we are a better than 50/50 chance.

If not we are not a fair dinkum premiership contender.
Well, one thing that may work in our favour with this current team, is that many of the poor performances of the past stemmed from previous Saints teams dropping their heads halfway through the 3rd quarter and letting the Lions kick away...poor mental resolve. If we do repeat this, disappointed won't be the word.

On the negative side, this team caved in to Port like the Saints of old earlier this year. Maybe it's worth a Roo injection into the side?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. All I can say is, they said we wouldn't beat Geelong either and we did. Also we didn't loose up there last year either :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group