And Patrick Smith!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
backit wrote:A great article from Patrick Smith whether you love him or hate him, it was good to read an article that was not a piece of sensational garbage that most hack journo's are subscribing to writing these days.
'a great article'??

Jesus.

Firstly, it's not an article - it's an opinion piece. An opinion from a man who makes it a habit of being completely and utterly wrong.

Secondly, how is it 'great'?
I thought it was a great article because he did a good job of giving GT s*** about his sad longings in the media :)

But I must say its probably one of the first times I have enjoyed reading one of his articles.

Main Entry: 1ar·ti·cle
Pronunciation: \ˈär-ti-kəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin articulus joint, division, diminutive of artus joint, limb; akin to Greek arariskein to fit — more at arm
Date: 13th century
1 a : a distinct often numbered section of a writing b : a separate clause c : a stipulation in a document (as a contract or a creed) <articles of indenture> d : a nonfictional prose composition usually forming an independent part of a publication (as a magazine)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Thinline wrote:[

I don't really like lawyers much, but I acknowledge that some are good at what they do...

...more than just some ffs.......but then.....some are hopeless.......a couple may be even dishonest.......just like every other profession......but then a hopeless lawyer will not kill you....unlike a hopeless doctor...
Thought you might bite!

Surely 'some' was sufficiently open-ended.

Put it this way: I was once one myself. I don't miss it or them I assure you.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Hey, you feel strongly about a Smith target.

Looks like Smith provoked a reaction.

Seems to me he's doing his job.
Bingo.

And that's why I can't see how he's described as a good 'journalist' and this being a 'great article'.

A journalist's job isn't to sell papers. It's to research and report stories.

Smith's job is to sell papers - not be a journalist, like most in the media these days. As a paper seller evoking reaction, he may well be good at his job. As a journalist, he's woeful.

Grant Thomas evokes reaction every single week, sometimes every day. And I don't think you'll find too many people out there declaring him great at his job!

Evoking reaction in my view, isn't really something to be lauded for.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Bingo.

And that's why I can't see how he's described as a good 'journalist' and this being a 'great article'.

Smith's job is to sell papers - not be a journalist, like most in the media these days. As a paper seller evoking reaction, he may well be good at his job. As a journalist, he's woeful.

Grant Thomas evokes reaction every single week, sometimes every day. And I don't think you'll find too many people out there declaring him great at his job!

Bingo times two.

Smith researches. Thomas speculates.

IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Bingo.

Bingo times two.

Smith researches. Thomas speculates.

IMO.
But both are there to 'get a reaction'.

And it just goes to show how easy it is to get a reaction from the public these days. It's not something to be lauded for or proud of.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ah, but some opinions are well thought out. Others are plain attention seeking.

Former Smith, latter Thomas. IMO.

Re lauding opinions... Are you saying, if for instance you were a Uni professor, that you would give each of your students the average mark because no one opinion is more worthy than another?

No disrespect, but I'm a bit confused by your logic.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Ah, but some opinions are well thought out. Others are plain attention seeking.

Re lauding opinions... Are you saying, if for instance you were a Uni professor, that you would give each of your students the average mark because no one opinion is more worthy than another?

My logic is simply that Smith is a glorified talk-back radio host that writes nasty, spiteful and disrespectful opinion pieces to get a reaction.

Therefore, I think he's a very ordinary human. The very essence of what I loathe about the field of 'journalism' these days.

There is grey in the world. Most things are grey. These 'shock jocks' don't sell papers by talking about grey.

So they sell their soul to pick a side of the fence to sit on. Then once they're there, they throw stones at those on the other side. They focus on belittling those on the other side of then fence, rather than building a strong case for their side of the fence.

'With us or against us'. Intolerance.

That's my 'logic'. He's vermin and spreads bitterness and disrespect. I don't respect that.

I really don't think this sort of behavior or attitude is the type of thing that should be lauded simply because his job is to 'get a reaction' as you say.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough.

You don't like him. I find him funny, and often spot on.

Shame on him either way, I guess.

bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ah, but some opinions are well thought out. Others are plain attention seeking.

My logic is simply that Smith is a glorified talk-back radio host that writes nasty, spiteful and disrespectful opinion pieces to get a reaction.

Therefore, I think he's a very ordinary human. The very essence of what I loathe about the field of 'journalism' these days.

There is grey in the world. Most things are grey. These 'shock jocks' don't sell papers by talking about grey.

So they sell their soul to pick a side of the fence to sit on. Then once they're there, they throw stones at those on the other side. They focus on belittling those on the other side of then fence, rather than building a strong case for their side of the fence.

That's my 'logic'. He's vermin and spreads bitterness and disrespect. I don't respect that.

I really don't think this sort of behavior or attitude is the type of thing that should be lauded simply because his job is to 'get a reaction' as you say.
I know yopu dont like me much Rodger, but surely even you can see the irony in what you are saying. Now I know you arent here as a journalist, but you are up there with the best of the opinionated shock jocks IMO.

backit
Club Player

bob__71 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
backit wrote:A great article from Patrick Smith whether you love him or hate him, it was good to read an article that was not a piece of sensational garbage that most hack journo's are subscribing to writing these days.
'a great article'??

Jesus.

Firstly, it's not an article - it's an opinion piece. An opinion from a man who makes it a habit of being completely and utterly wrong.

Secondly, how is it 'great'?
I thought it was a great article because he did a good job of giving GT s*** about his sad longings in the media :)

But I must say its probably one of the first times I have enjoyed reading one of his articles.

Main Entry: 1ar·ti·cle
Pronunciation: \ˈär-ti-kəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin articulus joint, division, diminutive of artus joint, limb; akin to Greek arariskein to fit — more at arm
Date: 13th century
1 a : a distinct often numbered section of a writing b : a separate clause c : a stipulation in a document (as a contract or a creed) <articles of indenture> d : a nonfictional prose composition usually forming an independent part of a publication (as a magazine)
o·pin·ion   /əˈpɪnyən/ Show Spelled[uh-pin-yuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.
4. Law . the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Rodger, with P66 away you must have taken over as the forum antagonist

an·tag·o·nist   /ænˈtægənɪst/ Show Spelled[an-tag-uh-nist] Show IPA
–noun
1. a person who is opposed to, struggles against, or competes with another; opponent; adversary.
2. the adversary of the hero or protagonist of a drama or other literary work: Iago is the antagonist of Othello.

Patrick Smith is a professional Journalist a person paid to write articles/stories/reports/investigate stories and provide comment, Grant Thomas is a media commentator not trained as a professional Journalist but who provides comments for money, there is a subtle difference.

We are all entitled to our view, I liked the article/opinion you did not, you don't like Patrick Smith clearly, I don't really have an opinion on him to base a strong like or dislike, I thought it was great/good in it's context you did not, I saw positives, you did not you only saw negatives. To each their own we can always agree to disagree but life is too short to be bitter and twisted and I have moved on, you should to.

Onwards and upwards to the Holy Grail.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I know yopu dont like me much Rodger, but surely even you can see the irony in what you are saying. Now I know you arent here as a journalist, but you are up there with the best of the opinionated shock jocks IMO.
Yeah, and how many times do I get lauded for it?