Training Report

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Training Report

Got there just before 10 and it was freezing.

Players didn't start appearing till about 10.15.

Notable absentees:
Ross Lyon
Jason Gram (he did appear 2 minutes before the end)
Jack Steven
Jarryn Geary

Token appearances:
Raph Clarke
Rhys Stanley
Robert Eddy
David Armitage (Knee heavily bandaged)
Nick Winmar (calf bandaged)

Kosi did running drills with Leigh Tudor and went in early
Gardiner ran laps

Lenny, Dal, BJ, and CJ did mostly running and handball drills.

Pretty laid back session for the school holidays.

Oh, I nearly forgot Roo looks like he's never been away. He took part in everything, was going at full pace and was kicking right through the ball.
I'm making the call now he will play this week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
shmic_s
Club Player

Thanks for the summary Bernard.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Love to hear that Roo is looking good and moving well :)

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Great report there BS, thanks for that!

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

If I was given a bit more notice I would have gone down! :evil:

Woke up at 10.30 to see that is was on...

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Got there at about 10 45, didn't see much training but Roo was out there in the middle lokking fantastic.

Grammy looked like he was going through a fitness test, was doing a lot of stretching.

Armo was having a pretty light session.

Gaertner and Archer were doing some close range marking drill.

A lot of the boys were visible in the gym, notable Winmar, King and Dempster.

My 14 year old sister was thrilled with the chance to get photos with Zac, Rooey, Lenny, Milney, Bakes and Patto (Patto would have been happy after one kid turned down an autograph request from him).

All the guys were very generous with their autograph time, especially the in demand Lenny and Roo.

Had a brief chat with Leigh Tudor, said Nick wanted to play two weeks ago and implied that he'd be out there this week and they'd try and keep him out of the centre square due to it's hardness.

Finally spent some time in the Heritage Museum, well worth a look at, wonderfully preserved by Georgie Day and sadly under-funded by the club.

All in all a wonderful morning.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Colour me jealous dcstkfc :shock:

Sounds awesome, not being on the big island we miss out on the close contact with the players at open training sesssions. Hope I can get the chance to get a pic with some of the boys and an autograph. Would be magic!

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

The strength of this forum is the guys who don't have work commitments who get out of bed on a bloody cold morning to give us info we would not get otherwise.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

DK, share your opinion on the Heritage Museum. The club should put some of its pokie earnings towards that. Fulfill its legal obligation to support the community.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:The strength of this forum is the guys who don't have work commitments who get out of bed on a bloody cold morning to give us info we would not get otherwise.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

DK, share your opinion on the Heritage Museum. The club should put some of its pokie earnings towards that. Fulfill its legal obligation to support the community.
No worries Grump, glad to help you in any way :)

So the Hertiage Museum:

Firstly, Georgie Day's committment is absurd. She runs the place pretty much single handedly with very limited space, help and money from the club or anyone else for that matter.

The museums at Hawthorn, Essendon and Adelaide (and perhaps other clubs- haven't heard about them) are all state of the art. Adelaide spent $20 million on theirs alone.

There really are some treasures in there, some wonderful old photographs, membership tickets, jumpers- just the start. One I really liked today was the ticket from our 1940 Lightning Premiership Patriotic Cup victory.

The club are doing an excellent job generally, but won't commit a cent to the museum. Georgie has no idea whether the thing will stay or go.

I urge you all to go visit the museum, and send a message to the club to give it the support it deserves.

After all, a club, even one as unsuccessful as ours is nothing without heritage.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report guys.

I wonder what will happen to the museum when we move to sunny Seaford.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Thanks for the report guys.

My understanding a bigger and better one at Seaford.

saint4life
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Good...

It should get a bit more respect.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

chook23 wrote:

Our old relics should be treasured...... and I'm including myself and Stinger there. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Saints wrote:If I was given a bit more notice I would have gone down! :evil:

Woke up at 10.30 to see that is was on...
got told yesterday. and it was o here stating it as well.

santazzi
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Our old relics should be treasured...... and I'm including myself and Stinger there. :wink:
I hope appropriate space is provided to our heritage in our new home. i have never visited the mueseum and I am speechless that it is so much neglected. i am a great believer in history. It must be preserved whether it is pretty or ugly.

I was just thinking ....1% of 40,000members contribution assuming each member pays $100.00 is $40,000.....the bare minimum the club should spend on its history.......

What do people think of the idea that:

1. We find a way to get the club to commit a certain percentage of our membership fees to our history
2. next year saintsational sponsers Georgie and the Museum....

howlinwolf
Club Player

Very "innaresting" Bernard.

Good to hear Roo looked strong.
Surprised to hear Kosi was running after the reports late last week.
Not so good about Armo or Gram.

I wonder if Gram's is more serious than we may have thought ?
Thanks for the report !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SaintDebi
Club Player

Not sure if I was at the same training session as you Bernard? :wink:

A slight chill when we first arrived, but by the time the boys came out 15 or 20 minutes later it was a glorious morning with the sun on our backs!

Steven and Geary were both definitely there, we got signatures from both and had a good chat to Jack.

Grammy came out late, but spent a while on the ground after the others had gone in, then came and signed autographs for the die hards who had waited. He was also good for a chat and said he's passed his fitness test and is ready for Brisbane. He also said its been too long, and that he really feels for Bakes.

You pretty much summed up the rest. Very light session. Mostly just a PR opportunity for the school holidays I think.

And dcstkfc, don't feel too bad for Patto. The gorgeous young girl beside us made up for the young boy you saw. She was a massive fan, had his badge already and nearly swooned over him which he found a bit amusing (and I think slightly embarrassing!).

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
sainta
Club Player

santazzi wrote:I hope appropriate space is provided to our heritage in our new home. i have never visited the mueseum and I am speechless that it is so much neglected. i am a great believer in history. It must be preserved whether it is pretty or ugly.

I was just thinking ....1% of 40,000members contribution assuming each member pays $100.00 is $40,000.....the bare minimum the club should spend on its history.......

1. We find a way to get the club to commit a certain percentage of our membership fees to our history
I think that is a great idea and something I'd definitely support financially.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Not sure if I was at the same training session as you Bernard? :wink:

A slight chill when we first arrived, but by the time the boys came out 15 or 20 minutes later it was a glorious morning with the sun on our backs!

Steven and Geary were both definitely there, we got signatures from both and had a good chat to Jack.

Grammy came out late, but spent a while on the ground after the others had gone in, then came and signed autographs for the die hards who had waited. He was also good for a chat and said he's passed his fitness test and is ready for Brisbane. He also said its been too long, and that he really feels for Bakes.

You pretty much summed up the rest. Very light session. Mostly just a PR opportunity for the school holidays I think.

And dcstkfc, don't feel too bad for Patto. The gorgeous young girl beside us made up for the young boy you saw. She was a massive fan, had his badge already and nearly swooned over him which he found a bit amusing (and I think slightly embarrassing!).
If Steven and Geary were there, they must have been in disguise, or come out after the session was over as Gram did. I left at about 11.15.

If the sun was on your back you weren't standing anywhere near me. If that was a glorious morning, it must be seriously cold down the highway.
Good that you made the long trip, only 5 minutes for me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintDebi
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: If Steven and Geary were there, they must have been in disguise, or come out after the session was over as Gram did. I left at about 11.15.

If the sun was on your back you weren't standing anywhere near me. If that was a glorious morning, it must be seriously cold down the highway.
Good that you made the long trip, only 5 minutes for me.
Steven and Geary definitely there and signing with the main group. I had a conversation with Jack about winning his memorabillia piece here on SS as part of the sponsorship group.

Maybe I exaggerated about the sun on my back, but it was sunny and not too cold in my coat, and I did think it was a gorious morning. :D

We were standing near the fence where the players came out. Wish it was just a 5 minute trip for me: work and distance means we don't get to many training sessions, although I know a lot there travel much further than us.

It was good to see the boys, and not a bad turn up of supporters was it? Good to see.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the updates everyone :D

avid
Club Player

sainta wrote:
santazzi wrote:I hope appropriate space is provided to our heritage in our new home. i have never visited the mueseum and I am speechless that it is so much neglected. i am a great believer in history. It must be preserved whether it is pretty or ugly.

I think that is a great idea and something I'd definitely support financially.
I'd definitely be in that too. She is a legend herself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Report

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Oh, I nearly forgot Roo looks like he's never been away. He took part in everything, was going at full pace and was kicking right through the ball.
I'm making the call now he will play this week.
good call BS. Correct call.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

How did the distance on Roo's kicking look?

The one thing I fear for him, after reading comments by Lloyd, is that he'll lose some length on his kicks.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Look, I'm not interested in the no-name players like Lenny or Roo.

I want to know about the one who is on everybody's lips...

How was Robert Eddy?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.