Banked the points

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Banked the points

never got out of first gear, happy to get the points.

Pattison showed that he could be a handy back up forward and ruck.

Getting game time into stanley. Could be a handy shock troup in the finals but it will be 2011 that he will reap big dividends from this development time. Would never have got these experiences if roo had not gone down, clowds have silver lining.

Schneider is starting to show the form we all knew he had in him. Working very hard all over the ground and was up in the top 3 players for the game.

Look we turned it over too much, we looked tired in the first quarter but ran it out. Happy we had the game done so we could chip in around for the last 10 minutes with a 6 day break coming up.

Bring on the lions!!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Banked the points

Solar wrote:never got out of first gear, happy to get the points.

Pattison showed that he could be a handy back up forward and ruck.

Getting game time into stanley. Could be a handy shock troup in the finals but it will be 2011 that he will reap big dividends from this development time. Would never have got these experiences if roo had not gone down, clowds have silver lining.

Schneider is starting to show the form we all knew he had in him. Working very hard all over the ground and was up in the top 3 players for the game.

Look we turned it over too much, we looked tired in the first quarter but ran it out. Happy we had the game done so we could chip in around for the last 10 minutes with a 6 day break coming up.

Bring on the lions!!!
Glad you mentioned Schneider.

Had a poor start to the season but has turned it round in the last 6 weeks.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

A regulation win with little effort.
As said never really got out of first gear and at times played some frustrating football.
But there is a lot of upside, as I said we can improve immensely, the Collingwood's and Geelong's can't in my opinion.
I look forward to finally beating Brisbane up at the Gabba than embarassing the filth.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

we looked tired in the first quarter
Not as tired as Melbourne looked in the last quarter.

I love how we stuff sides

A lot of people think we should win by 100 points to blow teams away, but I love the way we drain every last breath out of otherteams

felixleo
Club Player

Cannot agree with the little effort comment. I thought the Dees were very hard at it for three quarters and for some sloppy disposal and amateur errors would have been right in it. Your comment takes away from our mens effort especially coming off last weeks game.

Are you gonna be the one?
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

We made alot of mistakes tonight, ordinary game, should have won by more.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Got the four points, but thought we looked very lethargic at times

Overused the footy something terrible and our delivery inside 50 was for the most part haphazard

Did enough to win, mainly because our onballers are about 20 leagues ahead of theirs. Also must remember we had 5 of our GF side from last year not playing.

We seem to save our best footy for the good sides. which isnt a bad thing of course, but it also means that we rarely smash mid or lower-rank teams. Percentage of course deosnt matter if we keep on winning 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Banked the points

Solar wrote:Getting game time into stanley. Could be a handy shock troup in the finals
the kid doesn't realise yet just how good he can be.

he needs to start taking those shots at goal rather than dishing them off ... that is what being a forward is all about.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Got the four points, but thought we looked very lethargic at times

Overused the footy something terrible and our delivery inside 50 was for the most part haphazard

Did enough to win, mainly because our onballers are about 20 leagues ahead of theirs. Also must remember we had 5 of our GF side from last year not playing.

We seem to save our best footy for the good sides. which isnt a bad thing of course, but it also means that we rarely smash mid or lower-rank teams. Percentage of course deosnt matter if we keep on winning 8-)
Completely agree Michael.

We seem to throw everything against the good sides and are content to just tread water against the lesser sides like Melbourne and Richmond...

Its not too bad but it sure does make going to the game and watching it very frustrating....

Still, a win is a win and four points on the board is all that really matters.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah... It's good to have a win. Always.

What I found annoying was the drop in concentration for the last ten minutes of each quarter. It kept Melbourne in it for three quarters.

Good positives though.

Stanley: well presented game.
Big Mac was good.
Steven looks a player

Good to get another game into these guys.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:We made alot of mistakes tonight, ordinary game, should have won by more.
Sorry Bev, but you're miles off the mark on this one.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Got the four points, but thought we looked very lethargic at times

Spot on, except that the reason our delivery to the forwards was off was because we didn't have our spine playing and the forwards were all over the place. Also we beat Geelong last week in heavy conditions and would have been a little flat and fatigued from that game.

Can I add that we have far more depth than last year.

The thing I am excited about this year is that our bottom end, for want of a better expression, is strong, and we are building a unit of players who are developing roles if needed.

12 months ago, no Kosi, Gram, Baker, Roo and Clarke and the footy world would be worrying about us, but they are not and we have the luxury of preserving a player like Roo and still winning games comfortably.

The forward structure or lack of it, stopped us from winning by more than 10 goals. We also seemed to preserve energy to avoid unnecessary soft tissue injuries. eg. Lenny was stuffed after laying 12 tackles last week and his groin was sore. I was impressed with us tonight, because we conserved energy and still won comfortably.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Mon 05 Jul 2010 1:24am, edited 2 times in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It would read that we almost didn't :shock:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5887696989
Rhys Stanley, offered more space than the Sahara Desert in the Saints goalsquare, somehow managed to bumble and fumble the ball into the goalpost, with no one else in sight.

It was a blunder that can only be described as the worst in front of goal since Carlton's Percy Jones missed the ball and kicked the goal post.

And it summed up St Kilda's day perfectly.

Perhaps it was still basking in the glow of last week's win against Geelong. Perhaps it took Melbourne for granted.

Whatever the reason, the Saints were off the boil last night at Etihad Stadium

are we really sure we won?????
this says we did...................................
teams p w l d % pts
Geelong 14 11 3 0 149.7 44
St. Kilda 14 11 3 0 128.6 44

Collingwood 14 10 3 1 132.6 42
Fremantle 14 10 4 0 122.2 40
Western Bulldogs 14 8 6 0 127.1 32
Carlton 14 8 6 0 114.2 32
Hawthorn 14 8 6 0 103.0 32
Sydney 14 7 7 0 106.5

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Today's win = 154% = a healthy win

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

who cares what that @ss-wipe of a daily trash writes?

seriously, im at the point where the world can say what they like bout us - give me that cup in September and they can all jam it.

In the words of Elwood Blues....."We're on a mission from God...."

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Today's win = 154% = a healthy win
Absolutely. Let them say what they want. It's one game that counts and will shut them up if we win it.

saintDal
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:It would read that we almost didn't :shock:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5887696989
Had to laugh at the comment at the end of that article
Saints just dont have the heart anymore for the win and are rubbish without Riewoldt. If they get to the finals (and thats a BIG if) will they stuff it up again like last year? Unlike the Hawks - who are a team that are going to take the flag back to Waverley back as reigning premiers - St Kilda have no game plan without their captain and are merely 'salad dwellers' in the ladder.
"Salad dwellers" At least the boys are eating healthy :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Happy we had the game done so we could chip in around for the last 10 minutes with a 6 day break coming up.
Well maybe not 10 mins...but a big shout-out to the clueless idiots who heckled the side for not going flat-out in that last couple of minutes

I know it was a frustrating game to watch at times..but..sheesh :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:Yeah... It's good to have a win. Always.

What I found annoying was the drop in concentration for the last ten minutes of each quarter. It kept Melbourne in it for three quarters.

Good positives though.

Stanley: well presented game.
Big Mac was good.
Steven looks a player

Good to get another game into these guys.
Very good points, conceded three goals in the first in the last ten minutes, maybe one goal in the second and one goal in the last.

Take five goals off melbourne's score and it is a much more comprehensive win.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Goddard nearly took mark of the year (hell of a spoil) but Milne made it a highlight reel. Got the four points, and Jonesy was outstanding. We had a nine day break (I think) before playing Carlton - even Lyon thought we were lethargic. Gotta watch that, but we drilled the game, so no worries.
Happy week!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Superboot
SS Life Member

A regulation win where we had everything lose and where 4 points should already have been in the bag.

Couldn't ask for anything more and shouldn't expect anything less.

No reports or injuries is the bonus, and that's what you have to think about when we're chipping the ball around in the last 10 minutes.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

INteresting that no team has ever won this year the week after beating geelong.

Must be taxing

Kind of like playing us ;)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Happy we had the game done so we could chip in around for the last 10 minutes with a 6 day break coming up.
Well maybe not 10 mins...but a big shout-out to the clueless idiots who heckled the side for not going flat-out in that last couple of minutes

there was this clueless women behind me in the social club area who went off everytime they went backwards.... especially in the final seconds of the second quarter. She was screaming out.... "don't go backwards, doesn't he know there not much time left...."

got sick of it because if cj had kicked it forward a nest of melbourne players were waiting.... so I told her that a 16 point lead is better then a 10 point lead and it's actually the game plan at that stage of the match....

she went on to say she "personally knows the coach and should know his game plan"...... and "I have the right to get angry when they don't play attacking football"..... hmmmm

I just replied that it's been the game plan for the past few years and whats the point in abusing the players for doing what the game plan dictates.

It's also important to know that the reason they played tempo football in the last 10 mins was because gards had a twinge in the back/hammy and a few lackng match condition (zac and dempster according to the coach). Add that to the 6 day break coming up and it's smart football. Both the top 2 sides did this yesterday,

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I noticed they still did the shoe thing, don't they know they were exposed on Friday night footy? :)

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:
saint66au wrote:

there was this clueless women behind me in the social club area who went off everytime they went backwards.... especially in the final seconds of the second quarter. She was screaming out.... "don't go backwards, doesn't he know there not much time left...."

got sick of it because if cj had kicked it forward a nest of melbourne players were waiting.... so I told her that a 16 point lead is better then a 10 point lead and it's actually the game plan at that stage of the match....

she went on to say she "personally knows the coach and should know his game plan"...... and "I have the right to get angry when they don't play attacking football"..... hmmmm

I just replied that it's been the game plan for the past few years and whats the point in abusing the players for doing what the game plan dictates.

It's also important to know that the reason they played tempo football in the last 10 mins was because gards had a twinge in the back/hammy and a few lackng match condition (zac and dempster according to the coach). Add that to the 6 day break coming up and it's smart football. Both the top 2 sides did this yesterday,
Generally speaking, a majority of our supporters are dickheads...

No wait, that's all i wanted to say.