Which of our Rookies look like making it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Which of our Rookies look like making it?

We currently have 8 rookies, and from what I've read heard and seen Jarryd Allen and Leigh Fisher are finished and wont play for the st.kilda football club again.

I think Gaertner is realling promising and will be a very versitile AFL player. Simpkin and Tommy Walsh also looked like they have something.

However I'm unsure about Archer, Hutchings and McGrath. But would love to have a Ruckman as big as McGrath running around for St.Kilda.

What does everyone think about the future of these rookies???

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which of our Rookies look like making it?

footynut wrote:We currently have 8 rookies, and from what I've read heard and seen Jarryd Allen and Leigh Fisher are finished and wont play for the st.kilda football club again.

I think Gaertner is realling promising and will be a very versitile AFL player. Simpkin and Tommy Walsh also looked like they have something.

However I'm unsure about Archer, Hutchings and McGrath. But would love to have a Ruckman as big as McGrath running around for St.Kilda.

Hutchings
Simpkin
Walsh
Gaertner
Archer
McGrath- coming from a late start
Fisher- Injured again :L( I really like Fish and his team ethic... But
Allen will never play the game again if he wishes to maintain his health-hasn't played this year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh looks the goods, a year from now you would expect him to be getting games.

Mc grath should be retained just because he is huge and may be a Sandilands or Cox in waiting. Really tall guys don't grow on trees and rarely come on early.

Archer looked a good size and Gaertner looked ok in the NAB.
Hard to tell who is going to break out of the pack.

Unfortunately Fisher isn't rated by Lyon and it must be the end for him.

We were just keeping Allen on the list so he could get another year of free medical and to give him a bit more pay I think. He would have been good if it wasn't for the hip.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

L Fisher has only been playing out his contract.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd say Simpkin and Walsh are very strong chances. McGrath and Gaertner are worth persevering with to see if we can make them into footballers but still both long shots. I don't know much about Archer or Hutchings. Unfortunately Fisher is long gone.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin could take miles spot if miles can't stop getting injured. Gaertner is well worth another year on the rookie list and really could make it. Walsh will make it, already looks like a footballer and could play forward or back.

Hutchings has big question marks over him because he isn't exactly quick and not a great kick. But strong over the ball and knows where to get it. Would be looking at pushing the likes of eddy for a spot and thus needs to get alot of km's into his body.

mcgrath is a problem because right now there are better rucks in the lower levels and could develop more. Struggles to push up into sandy's firsts and if he can't get in front of pattison I don't see a AFL contract there for him.

Thought archer was actualy ahead of cahill early in the season but Cahill has gone past him. Presetns well and is a nice mark. Needs to work off some puppy fat. Could be a good VFL forward but does he has the ability to make 3+ leads that is needed at AFL level?

Fish would be a good player for the GWS side to pick up to guide their youngsters through. Lost that yard of pace because of his hammy, shame.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
battye
Saintsational Legend

I spoke to a bloke a few months ago who was an East Perth supporter and he thought Hutchings was a good pick up for the Saints.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin - Yes
McGrath - ???? too early to tell
Walsh - ???? a way to go
Gaertner - No....cannot kick at all, no footy nous either...great athlete
Archer - Doubt it
Hutching - Maybe, but more likely No

While I"m at it....

Armitage - Yes, but not with us....unfortunately....bit slow however...poor mans Simon Black.
McEvoy - Yes, will not be a superstar...a young Steven King...better mark though....bit slow
Lynch - Yes, but will not be a star either, a poor mans St.Johnson, untidy, but uncanny and smart....little bit slow...
Geary - Yes....solid player, talent, courage, fitness....some weaknesses
Eddy - Just a GOP....may play 50 games as a back up, or be delisted
Jones - Has made it.
Steven - Yes....midfield/Forward.....2011 onwards
A.Smith - Yes.....Wing/HB....2011 onwards
Miles - If he stays injury free, yes...next year
Winmar - Yes, modern footy suits him....2012 onwards
W.Johnson - Doubtful

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Simpkin - Yes
Walsh - ???? a way to go
Archer - Doubt it

While I"m at it....

Armitage - Yes, but not with us....unfortunately....bit slow however...poor mans Simon Black.
McEvoy - Yes, will not be a superstar...a young Steven King...better mark though....bit slow
Lynch - Yes, but will not be a star either, a poor mans St.Johnson, untidy, but uncanny and smart....little bit slow...
Jones - Has made it.
W.Johnson - Doubtful
Really interesting to hear your perspectives.

Do you go to many Sandy games?

Also, what do you think of Stanley and Heyne?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Walsh - ???? a way to go
Archer - Doubt it

While I"m at it....

Jones - Has made it.
W.Johnson - Doubtful
McGrath - agree
Walsh - will be a hundred plus gamer
Gaertner - agree
Archer - fat and slow, but has some ability
Hutching - ball magnet but very slow
Simkin - a likely prospect

As for the others you mention

Armo and Johnson won't be with us next year
McEvoy, Geary, Jones and Eddy will be around for a long time
Steven and Miles should be regulars next year, along with Stanley and Heyne
Lynch, A Smith and Winmar will be very good AFL players, as will Cahill.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Walsh - ???? a way to go
Archer - Doubt it

While I"m at it....

Jones - Has made it.
W.Johnson - Doubtful
McGrath - agree
Walsh - will be a hundred plus gamer
Gaertner - agree
Archer - fat and slow, but has some ability
Hutching - ball magnet but very slow
Simkin - a likely prospect

As for the others you mention

Armo and Johnson won't be with us next year
McEvoy, Geary, Jones and Eddy will be around for a long time
Steven and Miles should be regulars next year, along with Stanley and Heyne
Lynch, A Smith and Winmar will be very good AFL players, as will Cahill.
Bernard, as one who regularly reads your posts, particularly those pertaining to Saints playing in the VFL, it's clear you don't rate Will Johnson on what he's shown thus far.

This is his first season on the list and I was of the understanding that we had to sign him for a minimum of 2 years. Is that correct, and if so, are there ways around that if indeed the club agrees with your assessment of his potential?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Will was very good for Sandy last year and we drafted him onto the senior list on the strength of that. He has been woeful this year and it would not be the first time we've cut a player and then rookied them to see out their contract. Howard and Fisher most recently.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Heyne - initially I was happy we drafted him, slid through to 48 with heaps of talent...then saw why, not enough meat and [potatoes in his game...did the exceptional, but not always the ordinary....

He has come a long way in a year or so, is a distinct chance now to be a player....he should thank the leadership group and Ross for changing his attitude to working hard to create his opportunity as everyone at this level is good, instead of I deserve to be given an opportunity because I have always been good.

He still has weaknesses, but effort is not one of them now....

Stanley will be an absolute STAR

He has all the tools, he has tricks, confidence and has a long way to go before he gets to his potential...perhaps three years....which when you consider his current level is scary...he is 12 months advanced on where he is meant to be, and is going to be a lot better than any xpected...

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Good stuff BigMart...enjoy your observations.

When Rhys gets stronger he'll be a real handful. Already doing team things, positioning well, but just gets knocked or blocked out of it. He's learning though. You can see that.

Steven was a great pick up at his Draft number. (Slightly off topic...sorry). He was very young in his year I seem to recall, and if he'd gone in the draft the next year would have been much lower. Teens perhaps. He's got a way to go, but promising signs.

Foz
Club Player

First of all the coach likes Gaertner. Thats a pretty defining impression of where he'll be next year! 200cm defenders dont grow on trees with good pace. The kicking was always the knock but he performed well in the NAB Cup. Long term, defence is always an area to develop.

The second point usually overlooked is the leadership aspect - Big Mac, Hutchins, Lynch were all captains and all thought of highly .Its a key factor in the development of the club long term. Hutchings is an Andrew Thompson clone but that still has a role. Wasn't he drafted as the Lenny replacement?

Archer was carrying some weight in the intraclub but at a recent Sandy game had slimmed down. The development in size, skill set, endurance all go through a major change with time at an AFL club. Point being that the Archer you see preseason 2011 will be a very different one to what we saw 12 months before. I think he'll get another year.

McGrath would be the only one imo i'd consider unlikely. Development slow for ruckman and he needs to come on soon or else.

I think its a risky one to categorise rookies too soon. I've heard the knocks on Paul Cahill as a senior list player but from what I've seen if his body holds up hes a likely type.

The rookies to me seem diverse (key defenders, mids, fwds) a good bunch of prospects in general.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good comments above.

However with Zac having had a poor year and Johnno being woeful it would not surprise me to see Gaertner retained as he has looked handy in some games.

Walsh could be a possible future FB though. However the club seems likely to tray and develop him into a KF. However if that does not pan out FB could be the go.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jays
Club Player

walsh for sure

saint58
Club Player

Re: Which of our Rookies look like making it?

footynut wrote:We currently have 8 rookies, and from what I've read heard and seen Jarryd Allen and Leigh Fisher are finished and wont play for the st.kilda football club again.

Hutchings is a hard running and up and under player in his first year still has a nother year to go.

Archer is a key position player from tassi has got a few goals in a couple of games and allso in his first year.

McGrath was injured for a lot of this year but shows promise is 208cm but still only very light needs to bulk up maybe a nother year on the rooky list.

Tommy Walsh and Gaertner are ready to play they are outsanding prospects and i carnt wait till they earn there spots.
Simkin is good defender solid but very good hands playes key position or flank.

felixleo
Club Player

Would give Allen another go if there is any chance he will regain full fitness.

Are you gonna be the one?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:Would give Allen another go if there is any chance he will regain full fitness.
Allen has retired from footy forever due to injury. He is only rookied for contractual reasons.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote: Armitage - Yes, but not with us....unfortunately....bit slow however...poor mans Simon Black.
Simon Black? As in the most decorated player in the game today? Even if Armo hasn't done enough to be considered his own player, surely we can make more realistice projections for him at this stage. When Black had other onballers around, his outside game was deadly, and without them his inside game is elite while wearing a tagger every week.
BigMart wrote:McEvoy - Yes, will not be a superstar...a young Steven King...better mark though....bit slow
Steven King was a superstar in his day. He's a 2 time All Australian, and dual winner of the Geelong B&F, not to mention their Captain.

I don't understand those comparisons.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Hutchings and Archer are first-year players, two of the youngest on the list. It's the second year rookies like Simpkin and Gaertner who will be starting to feel the heat.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
mick13
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but Hutchings and Archer are first-year players, two of the youngest on the list. It's the second year rookies like Simpkin and Gaertner who will be starting to feel the heat.
Pretty sure rookies don't need to be held on for more than 1 year. Ala Sam McGarry and Ross T last year. Although certainly they will be feeling more heat than the younger ones. Still, pretty sure Simpkin and Gaertner will get new contracts or be upgraded, going on what people here have said.