So why no free's against Baker?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So why no free's against Baker?

How did all the umpires miss these incidents?

HOW can that happen?

Are they BLIND or STUPID?

Or both?

Amazing!

Doesn't add up.

Discuss....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One of the inciidents happened right in front of the umpire and he paid nothing.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Sainterman
Club Player

Where the hell was the emergency umpire during all of this? Sitting on the bench? Administering to more important duties?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Where the hell was the emergency umpire during all of this? Sitting on the bench? Administering to more important duties?
Tugging Anderscum or the MRP leader most likely!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Where the hell was the emergency umpire during all of this? Sitting on the bench? Administering to more important duties?
Not sure why this thread is attacking the umpires. The events that occured were trivial - the umpires were right to take no action, nothing bloody well happened that wouldn't happen another dozen times in a match.

It's the MRP who have got this wrong.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Sainterman
Club Player

battye wrote:
Not sure why this thread is attacking the umpires. The events that occured were trivial - the umpires were right to take no action, nothing bloody well happened that wouldn't happen another dozen times in a match.

My post is not to attack the umpires (although i do think the standard this year across the board has been pathetic).

The point is they were out there watching Baker and Johnson the whole time. The emergency umpire was there. None saw anything that constituted a report. Either they are really wrong...not even paying a free kick through it all, or the MRP have absolutely no idea....I too favor the latter...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:

Well, either the MRP or the umpires have got something wrong...4 incidents, no reports, no frees, isn't that their job? Who's going to admit to having cocked up?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

battye wrote:

agreed battye
if the umpires paid every stomach punch thrown in a footy match the game would be nothing but free kicks.
I was actually impressed(surprised) by how little the umps pulled things up (probably because of the conditions & a "finals like" game) & let things go on the night. They were very hot on dissent tho.

Seeya
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Well the statistics from the game support your argument saintspremiers.

No frees for (no surprise there) and not one free against.

And the guy gets a record number of weeks

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Well the statistics from the game support your argument saintspremiers.

No frees for (no surprise there) and not one free against.

And the guy gets a record number of weeks
Agree, if you just read the match reports and the MRP outcomes you would think the MCG resembled Port Arthur on Friday night.

Surely the umps must have noticed something in that lot!

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

The MRP were all sitting on the sidelines in trackies with their hands DEEP in their pockets "because it was cold" getting VERY EXCITED about all the violence out there...which 3 field umpires didn't notice....

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Did somebody mention Fraser is on the MRP? The guy played for Essendon and Collingwood...scum on both counts!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

What effect did the telecast coverage have on this decision? During each of the breaks and every replay I saw it was Baker giving jabs, then suddenly Baker in the next shot with a bung eye - didn't even show the hit on him.

The fact Bakes actually received an injury and a pretty obvious one at that should mean that there was a hell of a lot more force in that one elbow hit - so why does Bakes get 3 times the amount?

This whole things reeks, same way as it did when Farmer ran into Baker's block a few years back. Afraid to say it, but nothing we could do could improve their decision then, nothing will this time. Saints have a shocking history of challenging decisions, see Zac last year, it seems we get a shockin run at it and I don't see it changing. :roll:

All I can say is no matter what 2010 throws at us, lets have the year go down in history as the Saints 2nd premiership year!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Posted this in another thread but probably better here.

It would be like the police putting 4 speed cameras all along 1 small stretch. They won't stop you (equivelent to umps at the game) but later in the mail bam bam bam bam, loss of license.

If the cops (umps) had of been there and just pulled you over and said 'you can't do that, I am going to fine you (penalise you)'. There would be a lot less trouble at the end.

santazzi
Club Player

battye wrote:

Bayttye....that certainly is one good and sane explanation......a more paranoid explanation (mine at the moment) would be ...."the fix was on".......do nothing on the field.....let him tighten the noose around his neck ever so tightly as the game went on..and the hanging will take place at the MRC...

By the way, if we appeal, can the umpires be summoned as witnesses and also required to outline their views of the incidents?

saint64
Club Player

Huge natural justice issues here if the Club wants to take it on. The AFL will no doubt argue that players should know what is and isn't acceptable, but to let things go for a whole game without any apparent attempt to settle the two players down, and then to hit one of them with a 12 week ban, is just completely outrageous.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Someone made a very good point this morning....

Stevie J has a history of diving, milking free's, and emphasising contact.

Perhaps Geelong calling for his protection, fail to acknowledge the 'boy who cried wolf' element.